Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sharing the road with semi trucks >

Sharing the road with semi trucks

Sharing the road with semi trucks

Old 01-26-2011, 05:01 PM

Dear Truckers, I understand your job is stressful and that idiotic drivers make you mad, but I am begging you all, PLEASE STOP TAILGATING! If I had to stop quickly, you'd run right over the top of me. Then you'd have to explain to my beloved neices and nephew why you were in such a hurry you had to kill me. Tailgating is Dangerous and DEADLY. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop tailgating!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:09 PM

I have known (and loved)a few truckers, most are hard working people doing a hard job the best they can.

but, one night, my brother in law on a motorcycle stopped at a well lit well marked 4 way stop sign.
The 18 wheeler behind him didn't.

It was a closed casket funeral.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:30 PM

My dh is a truck driver. One thing most people don't understand, is that his truck is governed to go 62mph. That means when he heads south and the speed limit is 65-75, he can't go that fast and he is NOT being a jerk to you. The insurance companies have set it up this way and the big rigs end up impeding traffic. Don't get road rage at the driver because there is nothing else he/she can do but go that speed.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Power Poster

My grandmother always said give the trucks the right of way and stay out of their way because they are out on the road making a living not going for ice cream.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:29 PM

We drive a VW stick shift and find ourselves on lots of hills...be kind and let the big rigs get out if they've got momentum. Once you lose it on a hill, you're really screwed. We and they can wind up in 1st or 2 nd gear. DH always lets big rigs pull over to pass, flashes his lights, lets 'em out. About half flash their own lights in thank you.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by joan_quilts
My dh is a truck driver. One thing most people don't understand, is that his truck is governed to go 62mph. That means when he heads south and the speed limit is 65-75, he can't go that fast and he is NOT being a jerk to you. The insurance companies have set it up this way and the big rigs end up impeding traffic. Don't get road rage at the driver because there is nothing else he/she can do but go that speed.
Please don't misunderstand me, because I have great respect for truckers. BUT I rarely see them going as SLOWLY as 62 mph. They practically run over me if I'm not going at least 70 - in the slow lane!

And I AM one of the drivers who make a point of ALWAYS making room for truckers to get into the lane in front of me going uphill. I used to drive a VW, and I know what it means to lose your momentum.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:55 AM

Some trucking companies do govern their trucks at 62, some at 65. But some do not govern and owner/operators are not governed that low. Independents can go any speed they want.
You do not notice the governed trucks as much because they are not on your tail, you are passing them.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:47 AM

My point was, that my dh gets cussed at, fingers pointed at him, the "finger" itself and people going nuts because he can't go over 62 mph. Heck, some of his trucker friends have had people pull guns on them! I know some trucks go way too fast but the ones that go way too slow, they just can't help it and don't want killed because somebody is in a road rage.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:13 AM

One thing I learned while riding with my DH back when he was driving a semi was how long it takes a loaded semi to stop. I have become very careful about the distance a big truck is from me before pulling out on a highway.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:34 PM

My husbands truck is governed at 62 also and most of the company drivers are And he sees the same thing people swearing and yelling at him because hes not going faster especially on the roads that are now 65 mph now or better He just wants to do his job and get back home safe Just like every other working person I realize that just like every other working group there are some IDIOTS out there but not all of them are idiots