Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sharing the road with semi trucks >

Sharing the road with semi trucks

Sharing the road with semi trucks

Old 10-12-2010, 02:35 PM

not all of them are fit to drive however - DH and I were rearended by an 18 wheel log truck on I-91 - we were in the right lane and he was speeding right behind us. Couldn't get on to the shoulder fast enough, we went flying off the road and landed upside down in the ditch. Scary.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

As far as I know, the "rules of right-of-way" apply to all vehicles.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:37 PM

Thank you so much for starting this.
My DS is an OTR trucker. I have taken short trips with him. What an eye-opener.
There are good and bad in everything, including truckers.
You know those solid white lines going across a lane at a stop sign or light? You are suppossed to stop behind those lines. Doing so helps any larger vehicles turning. Most of the other stuff said here is great as far as being around a rig.
I especially appreciate the fact you brought out how the stork brought the baby and truckers bring the rest. How true. Slow down, think before you act, think ahead, be respectful of the job they are trying to do in a very limited amount of time, and realize it takes someone very special to do the job.
Proud to be a truckers mom.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by chichimamma
I don't think that is quite fair, the bigger vehicle gets the right of way-not if it's not his. It's already impossible to get anywhere on good time, I know we need them, but I often wish they had their own roads.
Leave 5-10 minutes earlier and take abook or handwork in case you have no delays...that's what I do.
If you want to argue the right of way with a big rig, you WILL lose...I don't think it's worth the stress of even thinking about!
We've already agreed that not every driver is a good one, beit in a truck or a car, and truth be told, more accidents are caused by someone who is late and impatient than by bad truckers!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
I don't think that is quite fair, the bigger vehicle gets the right of way-not if it's not his. It's already impossible to get anywhere on good time, I know we need them, but I often wish they had their own roads.
Leave 5-10 minutes earlier and take abook or handwork in case you have no delays...that's what I do.
If you want to argue the right of way with a big rig, you WILL lose...I don't think it's worth the stress of even thinking about!
We've already agreed that not every driver is a good one, beit in a truck or a car, and truth be told, more accidents are caused by someone who is late and impatient than by bad truckers!
I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

As charlee said:

Another thing that ALL drivers should try to do:

Allow enough time to arrive at your destination without having to speed and to allow for road conditions - I know that I do things when I'm running late that I don't usually do - that are definitely in the Dumb Foolish action category.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:44 AM

My friend's DH drives one of those gasoline hauling semis (I'm sure there's a name for them--big silver long gas truck). He had to attend a seminar on how to deal with grief after someone committed suicide by deliberately running head on into his truck. He's devastated. I can't believe someone would do this. Truckers have enough to deal with. He hasn't driven in about 6 months since this happened-they have him doing a desk job while he gets counseling.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by janRN
My friend's DH drives one of those gasoline hauling semis (I'm sure there's a name for them--big silver long gas truck). He had to attend a seminar on how to deal with grief after someone committed suicide by deliberately running head on into his truck. He's devastated. I can't believe someone would do this. Truckers have enough to deal with. He hasn't driven in about 6 months since this happened-they have him doing a desk job while he gets counseling.
I so feel for that driver. I hope that the police reports show that.

It's called a "tanker" or "tank truck"
Old 10-13-2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
One more thing...city driving....if you're approaching an intersection and have to stop...a big truck is turning onto the street you're on, if at all possible, stop a little further back from the intersection, or back up if you can to give him/her a little extra room... some cities/towns have streets that are really narrow and it's *almost* impossible to get a big rig around the corner without going into the oncoming lane...

I think one of the funniest stories from when we were trucking was taking a load of potatoes to a small Russian store in old downtown Chicago...we pulled up and parked on the street, and the store owner came out to greet us. These are VERY narrow streets, because when they were built, nothing was very big! The store owner tells William, with a heavy Russian accent, "My brother and I, we stop the traffic, you pull into that alley over there and back into the parking lot. But you be quick about it, cuz these people, they gonna get pissed!!" :lol: He was right...it took William all of MAYBE 1 minute after traffic was stopped to get the rig backed into the parking lot...and horns were honking, people were yelling, MAJOR upset!
I loved it!
when i was the office mgr for the boston ma terminal... we had 2 straight trucks for downtown, cause a lot of that area you can't get a tractor & trl into...

we had a regular starbucks dlvy where the driver had to pull his mirrors in to get down the old alley... otherwise they would hit the buildings... takes a lot of talent to get down an alley the length of a city block like that..
Old 10-13-2010, 01:49 PM

they do... it is called the INTERSTATE HIGHWAY SYSTEM...you know, all the highways that start with the letter I like I90, I80 I75 I10 ... that highway system was built for 2 purposes... moving the military in times of national emergency, and for COMMERCE...

it was never intended or planned to get a private car anywhere in "good time"