Sleep time changing

Old 10-22-2011, 07:48 AM

I don't know if menopause has much to do with sleep. I went through "it" by the time I was forty. Doctor said no way but then took blood test and said yes for sure. Have been told that your energy level goes downhill from there. But with me it was the time I exercised most, ate well and sleptwell. Now the only down side was the headaches I started to experience about two to three years before menopause. Have never gone away. Now sleep pattern has gone to pot. Wake every two hours and have trouble going back to sleep. But I have to remember I'm in my sixtys now. Maybe that's it.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:46 AM

If I go to bed before 12 or 1, I can't fall asleep. If I do fall asleep early, then I'm up a 4 for the day. I just usually stay up later.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by athomenow
Talk to your doctor about Tarazadone. Mild antidepressant that has the side effect of helping you sleep. Take it in bed and fall asleep within 30 min. Helps quiet my mind. I wake up to go potty but back to sleep usually pretty quick. No hangover no matter when I take it or get up. Cheap also. $10 for 3 months at Kroger pharmacy.
I'm on Ativan(anti-anxiety, but used for lots of different things including nausea during chemo, etc.) for the same thing....I go to sleep fast and 5 out of 7 days when I wake up in the middle of the night, I can go right back to sleep. Used to be that I was awake by 3 or 4 every morning and never went back to sleep.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles
Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Seems the number of hours I sleep every night is changing, have been waking at 3 - 3:30 am and not able to get back to sleep. Anyone else have this problem?
not a problem here 3:30 is when quilting board comes on line!!!
should have said 3:30 a.m. is when the "day " changes. that is when the current days topics, this group of topics, grrrrrrr..... hope someone understands what i am trying to say
Old 10-22-2011, 01:57 PM

Maybe you are just more sensitive to what is happening when you are asleep. When my husband worked night shift, toward the end before retirement, any sound he made coming and going would wake me up. Do you sleep with the window cracked? Do you have dogs, children or such? Does the change of the heat or cold bother you? Endless amount of things can affect sleep as we age and things change around us. Speak to doctor but beware of what he gives you. Alot of things to sleep are for depression. The side effects of these is drowiness.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by catray
Maybe you are just more sensitive to what is happening when you are asleep. When my husband worked night shift, toward the end before retirement, any sound he made coming and going would wake me up. Do you sleep with the window cracked? Do you have dogs, children or such? Does the change of the heat or cold bother you? Endless amount of things can affect sleep as we age and things change around us. Speak to doctor but beware of what he gives you. Alot of things to sleep are for depression. The side effects of these is drowiness.
No hubby, dogs are my children, am thinking it may just be the change in weather.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:36 PM

I get up and drink two glasses of water then go back to bed and relax my body so that it can go back to sleep. Never can get enough water in the system to keep it working correctly. My sister in law uses Benadryl to encourage sleep.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:23 PM

[quote=DebsShelties]Seems the number of hours I sleep every night is changing, have been waking at 3 - 3:30 am and not able to get back to sleep. Anyone else have this problem?[/quote

Oh, yes, nearly every night. Sometimes even earlier. I seldom take a nap and when I do I can't get to sleep. I don't want to take meds if I can help it.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:26 PM

[quote=Marge L.]
Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Seems the number of hours I sleep every night is changing, have been waking at 3 - 3:30 am and not able to get back to sleep. Anyone else have this problem?[/quote

Oh, yes, nearly every night. Sometimes even earlier. I seldom take a nap and when I do I can't get to sleep. I don't want to take meds if I can help it.
I think tonight I will try to stay up later, I don't feel sleepy right now so maybe I can break the cycle?
Had a light dinner, Salmon with honey and herbs, acorn squash and ice tea.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:27 PM

I have not slept through the night since I went through Menopause. I sleep an hour or two, then I am wide awake.Very frustrating.