Smoker's challenge

Old 06-24-2011, 03:46 PM

Well I smoked for over 30 years and at the age of 57 had a massive heart attack and died...shocked 3 times to bring me back to life had 3 stents put in and over 200,000.00 later and 3 1/2 years later I am still smoke free. Thank Goodness. My Dr. said the smoking is what caused the blockage and heart attack. It wasn't easy to quit...time makes it easier NOT to want to smoke. There are still times that I would love a cig BUT I tell the little devil in my head I Don't smoke and go on to something else.

To all that is trying to quit..you CAN do it...Don't give up!!
Old 06-25-2011, 04:25 AM

I would also like to quit, my motive is " Think of all the extra money to buy FABRIC." Still haven't quit but still trying.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanniejo
I quit 2 years ago after 30 years of smoking. I used Chantix and it never bothered to be around smokers. Wish they had it years ago !!
My second anniversary is June 30th and I also have been smoking for 30 Years actually 37 and I used Chantix BUT I was ready to quit! I really think you need to be ready and you take one day at a time. Take a lot of deep breaths and think of the reason you are quiting. Good Luck

Congratulations to all of the X smokers!!
Old 06-25-2011, 05:05 AM

After smoking over 30 years, I was finally able to quit cold turkey a few years back. I found "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" by Allen Carr at my library, and it made all the difference. I never could have quit without it. It was still hard, but I never miss it, am able to be around other smokers without being tempted, and know I will never smoke again. I know other former smokers who still have dreams about smoking and still miss it and feel deprived. I have never felt that way which was a miracle for me. If you can get this book, it really helps. Good luck and don't give up!
Old 06-25-2011, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

My DH and & just celebrated 4 yrs of being non smokers. If you do get the urge...suck on a straw...that works. You just need to have something in your hand and mouth. You can DO it! Also, the smell will probably be awful to you...it is to us now!
Old 06-25-2011, 05:16 AM

I have tried everything and I was taking the Chantix. It does work but any stressor will make me start again. I lost my oldest son last year and started back smoking and haven't tried since but I am going to try it again next week. Good luck. It is a horrible habit.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:41 AM

Amen. I quit 7 years ago the same way.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:52 AM

Good luck on your quest
Old 06-25-2011, 06:01 AM

bring something to keep your hands busy - crochet, knit, hand-quilting. The end result won't matter; it will just keep you from reaching for that cancer-stick.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:04 AM

I had quit smoking years ago, but then I smugly took that one puff just to see what had kept me hooked for so long... an hour later I took another.... OOOPS! Lesson learned: When you quit, don't even take ONE puff ever again!
I finally quit 5 1/2 years ago with the Nicoderm patch. I never had a single nicotine craving at all, but just had to resist the habit of stepping outside after dinner and during TV commercials! LOL!
YOU CAN DO IT!!! Gosh, I can breathe so much easier, and I don't cough when I laugh! :)

I quit drinking wine 2+ years ago, now I really DO use it for cooking! ROFL! :-D