Smoker's challenge

Old 06-25-2011, 06:17 AM

From what I know, I think it must take a lot of willpower...I have never smoked, so it is easy. A friend of mine used to smoke at the back of the bike sheds at school when she was 13. She gave it up when she became pregnant with her first child. He is now 33 and she says that she still has the desire to 'have a smoke' every now and again. So I think it must be tough. All the best with your attempts.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by emerald46
If you have been good and not smoked in a few weeks, you will find the odor very offensive! That is how I quit several years ago. I've never smoked in our home and our first trip to visit "smoking friends" almost made me physically ill. The odor is/was horrendous!! Take lots of chewing gum and a big can of Lysol!!
That doesn't work for everyone. I quit smoking over seven years ago and I still like the smell of cigarettes when I pass someone smoking. I won't ever go back to smoking, but the smoke still smells good to me.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Catherine Marie
This weekend I am going to my friend's cottage. She smokes, I'm trying to quit.
I've pledged to my husband, and to my 'smoking' sponsor that I will not smoke while there.
However, I am very anxious about the entire time. Lots of sitting around, sunning on the dock, drinking- hey, I said I'm trying to give up smoking, not drinking- lots of opportunities to 'just have one'. I don't want to have one, well, I really do, but I can't have even one.
I'm committing to all of you kind souls that I will not smoke this weekend.
However, I would gladly welcome any hints or helpful tricks to keep me from smoking.
I'd like to take some quilting but have had carpel tunnel surgery and it is still 'ouchy'.

Another good mental trick. Every time you think about smoking again, remember the cost and how it's much more fun to spend that money on fabric instead. :-)
Old 06-25-2011, 07:06 AM

Someone told me that when he took a stop smoking class, they were told to drink down a full glass of water without stopping each time they had an urge to smoke. The water will distract you and will also help flush the tobacco out of your system.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

Congratulations on quitting smoking. No, it's not easy, but if it's been a few weeks since you quit - you will find the smell of smoke offensive. I quit about 30 years ago - cold turkey - hadn't planned on quilting, but one day my body said that I can smoke or I can breathe. Obviously, breathing won. Just hang in there, tell them that you quit, and I like the idea of a straw. I tried smoking with celery (no I didn't light it), but it gave me the oral satisfaction that I needed. Remember, smoking is an addiction and be very proud of yourself for quitting. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:14 AM

Does your friend know that you are trying to quit? I would walk away or do something to get your mind off smoking, if your friend really cares for you she will understand.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:41 AM
mim

I stopped smoking the day I realised that I could fly to the UK and stay a week for the same money that I spent on cigarettes. What an incentive that was. I put the daily money in jars and took those trips.

Mim

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
I have been trying to quit smoking for a long time, now I'm chewing nicotine gum. It does help me but I'm still smoking at times. You have my best wishes, I do know how hard it is to quit. This weekend I have company, they don't smoke so maybe they will be an extra incentive not to smoke. Good thoughts to you. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 06-25-2011, 07:48 AM

When I quit, I could not have spent the weekend with someone who did. Bless his heart, my husband never smoked in front of me after I quit (he quit 8 months later after a cold rainy spell). Isn't your health and the rest of your life worth more than this weekend away?
Old 06-25-2011, 07:57 AM

Have some sugarless candy on hand so when friend lights up youpot in a candy. Or do some deep breathing thru your mouth. When she lights up get up and go in other room, get drink of water, go to bethroom, close your eyes and think of pretty lungs. Good luck. I stopped several times over a 45 year period and have not smoked in 2 years now, longest I ever went. Take care.
Linda
P S I stopped because of the cost and it is what keeps me from going back. Think of all the fabric you can buy now.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:09 AM

We quit a few years back and we used hard candy to help us over the really bad first few months. Our favorite was the root beer barrels from Cracker Barrel. We bought those12 packages at a time.Still cheaper than a carton of smokes. They last longer than most hard candy and don't get soft.
Good luck this week end I'll be rooting for you, you can do this!