So disappointed

Old 06-17-2011, 03:51 AM

Maybe you could take a bus.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:18 PM

After respectfully pointing out to your husband all the reasons you want to go (should be going) to the reunion and he says that he's ok with your going without him (or with him!) then go and enjoy your time. If he asks that you not go, I believe you should honor his request and not go. I know most people in today's culture do not feel that way - I do think it's the way to do things in a home. Your children should see their relatives, you should all go away as a family, but if he says no, the answer should be no - without any 'threats' of hosting the reunion next year.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by thismomquilts
After respectfully pointing out to your husband all the reasons you want to go (should be going) to the reunion and he says that he's ok with your going without him (or with him!) then go and enjoy your time. If he asks that you not go, I believe you should honor his request and not go. I know most people in today's culture do not feel that way - I do think it's the way to do things in a home. Your children should see their relatives, you should all go away as a family, but if he says no, the answer should be no - without any 'threats' of hosting the reunion next year.
In a perfect world I would agree with you..and he would have as much concern for her happiness as she has for him. But alas...we are not in a perfect world yet!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
Praying that something may still change that allows you to go...
Amen to that above quote.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

That's too bad since you so wanted to go. Hope something can turn around so you can go yet.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:26 PM

I am so aware that we do not live in a perfect world... I've just been there, done that with this almost exact same scenario - my husband does not like going back to my 'home' for any reason. I want to go at least once a year. Life is too short to miss out on family. For several years when we were first married we did not go. Then, as we grew older, as did our kids, I wanted to go once a year at least - it's 1200 miles away. He went a few times, but then had no desire to return. He has never disallowed me to go - except one time - not conducive to our income/lives that year, so I stayed home. He has returned a couple of times with me. He has no problem with my going, but if he did I'd stay home - he knows my heart and thankfully agrees that it's ok for me to go - I've gone with no children, with one and sometimes with all three. Thankfully it works out. I hope and pray that all here will be able to go and have a blessed time.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:54 PM

Maybe you can set up a skype account and tune in to say hello to everyone.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:00 PM

I LOVE your idea. BUT it is your family. If you stay home and miss it, you'll just have a lot of resentment. My suggestion? Pack up your boys and GO!! Be with your family. And if he keeps calling you, turn the darned cell phone off!!! Tell him you 'guess you didn't have service' where you were. I have, after 35 years of marriage, learned one thing....'If Momma ain't happy, Nobody is happy!'
Originally Posted by mimom
tell hubby that if you dont have enough time with your family this year you will be forced to host it next year.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kappy
Originally Posted by thismomquilts
In a perfect world I would agree with you..and he would have as much concern for her happiness as she has for him. But alas...we are not in a perfect world yet!
Kappy, I think you've hit on the key point. He should consider her feelings and reasons for wanting to go as well as she has considered his. This can lead to a lot of hurt feelings and resentment. Please if you can find a way to go, go. He'll get over it.