Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed! >

Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed!

Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed!

Old 06-26-2014, 10:28 AM

I love all your stories! Makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one. We were at the license office this morning at opening time, but they were still down. They said to try back later, so we went back about lunch time.

We just got back from getting our licenses renewed. I want to know who that old lady is who snuck in on my photo?

It's been raining cats & dogs all morning, so I think I'll wait until tomorrow to try to make it to Skip's to get my machine, but it's supposed to be like this tomorrow too.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:06 PM

When I lived in Tennessee in 2003, I gave up my drivers license due to poor vision, and epilepsy. I could still legally drive today, but I do not belong on the road with you and your loved ones or mine. I now live in Oregon and have never been licensed here. Last year I got a notice from the state of Oregon telling me my Oregon driving privileges have been suspended due to failure to license in Oregon. I tried calling to explain, but I was informed that I needed to pay $75 to reinstate it. I repeated that I do not drive, and was again told I would have to pay the penalty, and if I was caught driving it would be a large ticket, and license suspension for 5 years. I can live with that. Lol!
Old 06-26-2014, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

Bummer, we in CA do renewals by mail !! Makes it so much easier and it is also a reminder.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:51 PM

To renew a driver license in Fl. for a female esp. a married female. 1. Need certified birth certificate. 2. Your
marriage certificate. 3. 2 pieces of mail with your name and correct address. 4. Your social security card.
I had my birth certificate, but my husband and I have been married 57 yrs. so I had to get that from Iowa. I've
had a SSN for so long the card says not for identification for tax purposes only. I used a Joann's flyer, and card
from a quilt shop. Now with all the troubles with comp. being hacked lets hope they don't get into my info.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:11 PM

Some of these entries had me laughing out loud. Take my advice and don't let NC take your license away from you. You will NEVER get it straightened out. Ask my son who now lives in TN and cannot get a license because of NC. I tell him he ought to make NC pay his attorney here to get him a license.....
Old 06-26-2014, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

same thing happened tp me almost 5 mos never got the renewal notice thank god they didnt make me retake the test happens to all of one time or another
Old 06-27-2014, 03:35 AM

State of NH sends email notification as well as snail mail 6 weeks before license renewal. They are now trying to do license renewals by computer. You use the same picture from your previous license, cannot make any changes to the license and you pay by debit or credit card. This is how I renewed my license last year. Will have to go to the DMV next time to renew because they won't use 10 year old pictures! Guess the DMV doesn't want us to look young forever!

Town (at least the one I live in) sends snail mail notices 2 months before registrations (plates) expire. (In NH you have to pay both the town and the state for the privilege of driving a car).

I must say that dealing with the DMV here in New Hampshire is an absolute pleasure compared to dealing with the DMV in Massachusetts. It was an all day event when you had to go to the registry in Boston!
Old 06-27-2014, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by DebbieJJ View Post
Sandy, you're lucky to have gone that long, and then to find out about the mix-up with your address. Like they say, computers are only as good as the carbon-based units in front of them!
I absolutely love your comment here. I had to laugh when I read it. Eons ago when we first started using computers for our school attendance one of our school secretaries was gipping and complaining about the computer she was working on. She made some crazy statement about the computer that it was just not working, she kept coming up with the wrong answer for her daily totals . I really made her mad when I told here the computer could only do what the operator typed in. I like you definition much better.

We are lucky here in Tx. We get a reminder when our lic. and lic. plates are due. Lic. Plates are due annually. Our driver's lic. expire on our B-Day every 6 yrs.. We also get to sometimes renew them by mail, but usually have to go to the local office and take an eye exam. But I check every so often on my Diver's lic date for renewal because I have had no notice in the past.

Last edited by Gerbie; 06-27-2014 at 04:11 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:58 AM

Keep these stories coming.... I love reading them!

P.S. We do get a reminder for our car tags, or plates, but not for our driver's licenses. Gerbie, I with we had a 6-year license, but ours is only 4 years. Like I said earlier, we had moved back to Alabama 4 yrs. ago in May from another state, and our licenses expired 4 yrs. after that date. We forgot all about it. Both of our birthdays are in Dec. and neither one of us thought a thing about renewing our licenses in May, as we were used to it being expired in our birth month.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
I must say that dealing with the DMV here in New Hampshire is an absolute pleasure compared to dealing with the DMV in Massachusetts. It was an all day event when you had to go to the registry in Boston!
MA stopped sending reminders years ago. I attach a 3x5 card to the December page of our hanging calendar and move it to a new calendar each year. When the year comes when one of our licenses expires I make a note on the month it expires. I do put on a computer calendar but since we had a crash once and lost all calendar entries I also now keep all appointment cards in a folder in case of a crash-just clean out folder once in a while. In MA we now renew licenses on the computer as you described. Only go to the registry every 10 years. We can register our vehicles online also. Much better than all those lines.