Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed! >

Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed!

Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed!

Old 06-25-2014, 01:40 PM

Default Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed!

I had arranged with Skip (Glenn in Huntsville) to meet at his house for me to pick up my treadle machine head that he's refinished for me....he's sent me pictures of it and he's done a wonderful job on it! Anyway, I had to make a stop about halfway there, and I had to show some i.d. for something, and that's when I found out that my driver's license was expired by about a month! I called him and apologized, then explained that I was going back to my county to renew my license before going to his house, then I'd be there later. He was so nice about it and agreed to that.

Then I got back to the license renewal office, and there on the door was a great big sign saying that they couldn't renew any licenses statewide right now because of something going on (I forget the exact wording, but I got the impression it had to do with the computers). I then went to the bank, and their computers were "iffy". Man, I'm just laying around the rest of the day, it may not be safe to operate my computerized sewing machine!

If I ever get my license renewed, I WILL be there Skip! And in my defense, my birthday is in December, and here in Alabama, we usually renew our license in the month of our birthday.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

Bummer! Computers are swell until they are not working. So many daily functions now are totally computerized. Try checking out of the Walmart when the power goes out.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:18 PM

I received a letter from the State of Ohio last year, that my drivers license had expired, here we have 30 days after it expires to drive, if over 30 days you have to take the test again...OH no I would not want to do that...LOL
Old 06-25-2014, 11:46 PM

In Ala., we don't receive reminders. We had moved back to Alabama 4 yrs. ago in May from another state, and our licenses expired 4 yrs. after that date. We forgot all about it. Both of our birthdays are in Dec. and neither one of us thought a thing about renewing those darned licenses in May!
Old 06-26-2014, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dyan View Post
I received a letter from the State of Ohio last year, that my drivers license had expired, here we have 30 days after it expires to drive, if over 30 days you have to take the test again...OH no I would not want to do that...LOL
6 yrs ago they were 6 months before you had to take the test again-We were working in Richmond,Ind and I got pulled over for a cracked tail light -the officer was nice-no ticket : ) So we went up to Eaton Oh. to get licensed renewed we got there at 3:30 they closed at 4:00 I cut it to close I would have had to do the drivers test the next day. I would never have passed -sadly my parallel parking has not improved in 40 yrs
Old 06-26-2014, 02:34 AM

I drove around my town /state for 6 MONTHS with expired car plates!! The nice cop in the next state was happy to let me know!! That cost me a $75.00 ticket. We get reminders BUT when I went to take care of this, my address had been entered into the system incorrectly...hence, no "reminder" now I get email notifications! And , i can pay online. Case closed.

Sandy
Old 06-26-2014, 03:29 AM

Sandy, you're lucky to have gone that long, and then to find out about the mix-up with your address. Like they say, computers are only as good as the carbon-based units in front of them!
Old 06-26-2014, 03:39 AM

The first time one of my sons was driving after driver's ed he and I were going someplace and he told me there was a police officer behind us but didn't have his lights on. I told him to relax that the police officer was just going somewhere. Next thing I know my son is freaking out because the officer had put his flashers on. I told my son to relax and GENTLY pull off to the side of the road. Turns out the plate on the car he was driving (my car) had expired plate by over 6 months. I had blithely driven around for that long never the wiser. Fortunately we just got a warning and the police officer was nice to tell my son that he thought he was doing a wonderful job driving. Needless to say we went back home and got another car to finish our errands.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

I drove for a year on expired drivers license and didn't know it. Didn't have to retake the test though, just buy new.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:06 AM

A few years ago I had driven to Florida and back home to Illinois on expired plates; they were expired expired for 9 months before I realized it. Went to renew them and paid for the tags plus late fee then had to renew again in 3 months. What a bummer...