Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Something scarey happened to me today....

My 2012 truck does not lock the doors until I shift it to drive. 2003 I had before didn't lock the doors until I drove several minutes. No thanks, on the roll up/down windows. My cell phone is usually dead. My Husband is usually with me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

What car is it?
    Sounds like a lawsuit to me. Someone could die.
    Seems like carmakers dont know what they are doing anymore. Recall after recall.
    I will keep my simple little Honda Civic and even that has a recall for the airbag.

My car (Pacifica) doesn't lock until I drive over 12 MPH. So I usually manually lock my doors. Put a note or something on the steering wheel to remind you to leave the door open when you start. Or open your window before you start your car.

So sorry to hear this happened to you. I am glad you are OK. My DH has an older truck that has locks like that but atleast the windows are just regular roll down. If I were you I would also cary something to break the window if necessary. This sounds like a major sefety issue.
    Anna Quilts

Glad you made out OK. This is something you only find out about after someone has a problem, not something I would ever prepare for. You knowthat from now on I won't close my doors until the cars is turned on, make sure my cell is charged and put an old hammer in the glove compartment.

A long, heavy flashlight would serve double duty, in a car. It would knock out a window and/or provide light.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

There are tools we should have with us--a rescue hammer or a little one you can carry on your keychain to break safety glass called Res-Q-Me. I'm sure there are more. I'd have been inclined to break a window in that kind of heat--it's deadly. Thank you for calling our attention to this problem. I think my car locks as soon as I take it out of park but I'm not sure about the rest......I bet we'll all be checking.

Blog Entries
    WOW!! that heat could of got you! They make a little tool that you should have in your glove box. It has a pointed pc that hits the window, as they are hard to break. They also are designed to minimize the glass from going all over. We had an old car, years back, that the doors would freeze and not want to open. I got in the car one day and got to the end of the driveway and decided the road was impassable, so I backed up, parked and went to get out. Couldn't. Electric windos were also frozen. The car was running, and I knew it would eventually thaw out, but I am a little claustraphobic and I was VERY uncomfortable. No cell phones back then! I can't imagine how terrified you must have been. Glad you had the cell phone and got someone to come. I think you need to report this incident to someone. If it is a defect in that model car or something, they need to fix it before the outcome is not so good.
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Blog Entries
    Even though my car has these flat mini "panels" by everything electronic that can be removed with the key to give access to manual overrides, I doubt I would have thought about them if I found myself in your situation.

Sometimes auto door locks can be useful, though. Not too long ago, a guy nearby was charging the battery on his Corvette. He had started the car and was putting things away when a man came running up, jumped in the Corvette and slammed the door. But - he stalled the car when trying to reverse out of the driveway. With the battery not yet fully charged, the car would not re-start but the auto door locks had the would-be thief stuck in the car. Luckily for him, it wasn't hot like your situation because he had to just sit there until the police arrived. He tried breaking out the windows, but couldn't; it isn't as easy as it seems.
    Barbara

Samuel Johnson - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed, not by strength but by perseverance.

glad your alright. that is scary.

Yes, that was scary and this happened to friends of mine that are also elderly. Think that car manufacturers should put a button or switch some place that is not depended on batteries to open doors.

Blog Entries
    i have to say, my battery died and i called for help. I didn't want to get out of the car because if i locked the door, how would I get back in if the locks didn't work?? duh!!! I have a key and the door has a lock on the outside to slip the key in!!! i was so used to punching my automatic key that I didn't remember that. I felt so dumb.
    i worry about leaving the door open to start first if you are out somewhere. too many idiots out there waiting to steal your car or purse. just be watchful!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
    Check your manual. I bought a new car a few months ago and did not like my doors locking when the engine started. The manual showed me how to disengage that feature.
    When we bought our new car a year ago, the salesman asked us if we wanted this disengaged for us before we left the lot. Of course we said yes! Our previous van automatically locked and we never thought to disengage the mechanism. Just hated having the knob automatically go down when my DH would put the van in gear. I had a habit of putting my arm up on the 'ledge' by the window and that dang knob squeeeezes and pinches your upper arm 'flab'. The bruises I used to have were very suspicious. Looked like fingerprints dug into my upper arm. The ledge was so much more comfortable resting my arm than using the arm rest low on the door. Slow learner I guess.

OMG! I'da done passed out by then! I'm bout to pass out from the heat, and I'm inside in the AC! lol! Glad you're OK!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Wow! Talk about scary. Who would have thought that such a thing could or would happen? Not me. I will be out there checking mine out, as I have only had it for a month now and still have problems with wipers and such.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Stop by the garage for your make of car and ask them where the manual locks are. Every car should have a way to get out of it. They may be in a place that doesn't look like a lock or something. I can't imagine a car manufacturer making a car you can't get out of. What kind or brand of car do you have? I sure don't want one if you can't get out of it. I can't lock my car with the key in the ignition and feel that is a good thing. I also have the automatic locks and electric windows but there is a button to manually unlock the doors from the inside. Glad you had your cell phone with you.

Wow that is something I never would have thought of happening. Thanks for sharing and glad you're ok.
    Bonnie
    Bonnie,wife,mom and grandma

My chevy wont lock the door if you leave key in the ignition...oh wait
    Im thinking its when u open the door after you turn it off to get out...hmmm, hope it doesnt do like your did when battery is dead! So glad they got to you right quickly! How scary that was !!
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

glad you are ok.we have no cell service here-kinda scary
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

OMG! Scary! Cars should open from inside, anyway, with doors locked. I will have to check this before I buy acar from now on! And you are in Texas, too. Soooo HOT here!!!

That IS scary, and you've given us a very good idea, to start the engine before shutting the door, especially in the hot months. Auto electronics are wonderful. When they are good, they are very-very good, but when they are bad, they are AWFUL! Glad you had your phone with you.

I checked out my new 2012 truck last evening and found I do have a button I can push up and manually unlock the door. This truck has everything.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

So glad you are ok. How many times have I left the house without my cell phone. This will remind me how important they can be. What did we do before cell phones?

Chevy is only car I am familiar with that locks the doors. My daughter has one and I am always ready to open the door before it unlocks them. I do not like that feature, but you can manually unlock the doors in her car. I just started carrying a cell phone and your story gives another good reason to have one. Glad you could get help so quickly. Take care.

Blog Entries
    I am glad to hear you are ok, especially with the weather we are having. Never heard of this happening, but will be more careful myself.
    Mary

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast