Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stash Building?

I keep telling myself my stash keeps growing so I have enough when I retire and money gets tighter......I can't even part with scraps. (except really small pieces, but even those I save in a basket to offer to someone else) Now my sister and I are on the thread stash building......sigh

Blog Entries
    Sales are always so tempting. I have only been quilting a year but already feel I have too much fabric and not enough time. I feel guilty that I am not sharing the beautiful fabrics I have with others and just keep them for my eyes only. Of course I should probably get off the computer now and go pin my blocks together that are stacked on the dining room table.... and I should probably go to the office too! Have fun in everything you do.

I try hard to use my stash, but it's so hard.......

When I first started quilting about six years ago I made an effort to stash build since I knew I'd be retiring in a few years. Well, I have way more than I need AND my tastes have changed. So I've given a lot away and still have more than I need. Now I only purchase what I need for a project and I try to use what I have as much as possible.
    Pat

I'm with the busting group. And the moving group. I think moving helps to be more aware of what we really have in our stash. I just filled 3 extra large garbage bags that were either donated to the local guild or good will. It felt so liberating. I know the fabric would of never made it in any of my quilts. It didn't seem to make much difference in my stash, I've got to live much longer!
    SEW MUCH FUN!

I keep trying to go to stash busting, but then something catches my eye.

Blog Entries
    Working on stash busting here! So I needed (needed not just wanted) a specific type of fabric for a Christmas gift. So 5 pieces of fabric later, I have what I wanted for the gift. Plus...more. Too many cute fabrics out there. Too many ideas. Need to stay home and sew!!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Power Poster
    Always building it seems...

Trying to build a stash as I don't really have a lot of fabric unused yet.

I'm trying to seek equilibrium. I'm not really deliberately building OR busting, I'm just trying to maintain status quo. I like my stash as it is now - big enough that I have a lot of options but small enough that it's physically manageable and I can mostly remember what I have on hand.

I'm slowly losing the battle and building more than I'm busting, though. I have been too busy with work to have energy to sew much lately but I always have energy to shop online! But work is starting to lighten up and I have some vacation time blocked off at the end of the year that should help me move back towards balance.

Looks like most of us row the same boat. Recently I went through some of my fabric and what fabric I thought I would never use I listed on E-Bay. However, I did mange to sell most of it. Maybe it's time to go through and choose some more. I am also thinking that after I retire I won't be able to afford to buy fabric so best buy it while we still working. I would like to think that I can manage to sew most of my stash into projects before I depart this life, but I think I am hoping..............

I am trying to decrease my stash and waistline. Not succeeding on either fronts!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2