Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stupid stupid Iron!!!

Does anyone else wonder why we can't buy an iron without steam? Seems to me that the manufacturer that comes up with a hole-less plate on an iron that gets hot enough and has an always on option could sell quite a few units...what do yall think?

I think mine is B&D. I bought it a couple of years ago when my old iron gave out. I could not justify spending the big bucks on a Rowenta. I searched and searched for a reasonably priced ($50 or less) iron that wasn't made in China and could not find so I got a made in China one at Walmart for around $20, may have been $30. The steam feature quit working and it leaks water like crazy if I try to put water in. I just use it with no water and keep a spritzy bottle in my sewing room. I can't help but wonder if using steam features and putting water in an iron shorten's their lifespan. Also I am pretty sure the auto shutoff doesn't work any more either because it always seems to be hot whenever it is turned on but that is fine by me. I found it annoying as well but when it did work it only seemed to take a minute or so to get up to heat. This thread makes me want to go out and buy a backup though.

I believe it does shorten the lifespan, no matter how often I clean my iron eventually it has a calcium build up and I only use bottle water. When it starts to spit, which they always do, you get some hard white residue that will come out. I have tried vinegar and let it just steam and steam, it helps but does not get it all out.
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    I think mine is B&D. I bought it a couple of years ago when my old iron gave out. I could not justify spending the big bucks on a Rowenta. I searched and searched for a reasonably priced ($50 or less) iron that wasn't made in China and could not find so I got a made in China one at Walmart for around $20, may have been $30. The steam feature quit working and it leaks water like crazy if I try to put water in. I just use it with no water and keep a spritzy bottle in my sewing room. I can't help but wonder if using steam features and putting water in an iron shorten's their lifespan. Also I am pretty sure the auto shutoff doesn't work any more either because it always seems to be hot whenever it is turned on but that is fine by me. I found it annoying as well but when it did work it only seemed to take a minute or so to get up to heat. This thread makes me want to go out and buy a backup though.

Blog Entries
    Is there an 'iron virus' going around? My Oreck died last week. I had not used it for about 6 weeks. When my classes started back up it was dead. It was free with the purchase of my vacuum cleaner so I did get my money's worth out of it. I had an old one so I dragged it out. Think I'll try the thrift stores too. The Reliable at Joann's is that a brand name?

Blog Entries
    Mine is a WalMart $14 Proctor Silex Model 17135, teflon soleplate, no auto shut off, it gets hot, has decent steam and a point on the tip. If it lasts 1+ years I will be happy :D:D:D
    I bought it in Oct/Nov

Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    Maybe we should do like Barb M and get our irons from the thrift stores, never thought about that. At least we should buy a backup from there. Great idea Barb.
    I have bought irons that have costed me over hundred dollars and didn't last a year. Have bought two irions at thrift stores for two dollars and have lasted me ten years. They are older irons but I thimk the older irons lasted longer. I just bought a small iron at a thrift store and I just love it. The small iron also has steam. My small iron is a norelco voyager and my regular size irons are black and decker.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia's Gramy
    Is there an 'iron virus' going around? My Oreck died last week. I had not used it for about 6 weeks. When my classes started back up it was dead. It was free with the purchase of my vacuum cleaner so I did get my money's worth out of it. I had an old one so I dragged it out. Think I'll try the thrift stores too. The Reliable at Joann's is that a brand name?
    Reliable is the brand, it is called Digital Velocity V100. I do not know if they carry it at JoAnns. I did not see it there. This is at a fabric store near my house.

Blog Entries
    I thought my iron had died also. I had turned it off after the last ironing and didn't check it before I ironed again. DUH!! Sometimes, it IS the operator and NOT the equipment.

Ok, I bought the stupid expensive Iron. DH said I could so I went to my shop and asked one of the ladies there to try and sell it to me. She has one herself and just loves the iron. She quilts and also sews garments. She talked to the dealer at the Houston Quilt Market and really was impressed by the company and the iron.
    I hope it works. It cost me $151 including tax.

Congratulations! :)

Hope it lasts for you!

I recently bought an iron at Goodwill for $7. It gets really, really hot. When I bought it, the clerk said I had 7 days to bring it back if I found that it didn't work.

It gets hotter than the new one I bought a couple years ago. When I was looking used, I just made sure the sole plate looked in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by carrieg
    Hope it lasts for you!

I recently bought an iron at Goodwill for $7. It gets really, really hot. When I bought it, the clerk said I had 7 days to bring it back if I found that it didn't work.

It gets hotter than the new one I bought a couple years ago. When I was looking used, I just made sure the sole plate looked in good shape.
    These are the best. They are getting a little harder to find but I will take them anyday!

Same thing happened to me, but I had the iron 10 yrs or better. The iron still worked but the cord got so hot you couldn't touch it; I was afraid of a fire. MY husband researched the Rowenta. Don't get one that was made in China. The one made in Germany is ok. After reading reviews on them, someone wrote to get a T-Fal, half the price. I did and like the iron very much. It has the anti-calc valve. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fireworkslover
    Does anyone know if you can buy an iron that doesn't have an automatic shut off feature? I don't want that when I'm sewing, especially piecing. When I want to press, I want the iron to be hot, not wait for it to heat up.
    LOL after I left my iron on for 3 dys I decided that I need an auto shut off even if I have to wait for it to heat up

Hate to brag on it but my Rowenta is about 15 years old and works fine. I keep a small iron next to machine when piecing that is a Craft Sealing Iron. It gets hot and works great. Not that tiny little one I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by martha jo
    Hate to brag on it but my Rowenta is about 15 years old and works fine. I keep a small iron next to machine when piecing that is a Craft Sealing Iron. It gets hot and works great. Not that tiny little one I have seen.
    My Rowenta Powerglide 2 is also about 10 yrs. old and I've not had any problems with it, but know it might be on it's last legs. They don't make this model anymore, since it does not have the auto-off feature.
    I looked up the Reliable iron someone mentioned and their irons seem to be made well, if they do what they say. A bit pricey but if they work for a long time, I'd say 10 plus yrs., they're worth it. The Digital Velocity V 100 is the model for home use. It has a auto shut-off which can be disabled. It has a demineralizing anti-scale system w/ changeable filter (once a yr.). Their webste is www.reliablecorporation.com. They also have a steam generator with a removeabe water tank, which you use tap water in. It doesn't have the pressure cap to open the water tank, which is hard to get off on other styles of steam generators. This is lots more than Rowenta's steam generator, so don't know if people want to spend that much on a steam iron system. I guess it depends on your needs and your pocketbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbinwinder
    Does anyone else wonder why we can't buy an iron without steam? Seems to me that the manufacturer that comes up with a hole-less plate on an iron that gets hot enough and has an always on option could sell quite a few units...what do yall think?
    I have two irons, one purchased at estate sales for $1 and it's been going strong for at least 4 yrs now. It's an older (olive green - gives it's age away) :lol: Sunbeam, dry iron with a Point!

When I was 7 or 8, while ironing my dad's handkerchiefs (remember those?) I sat the iron up and it fell back down on the top of my hand!! Dad took me to the ER they wrapped it up and when I got home dad gave me some ice cream to make it all better... LOL But, I still have issues with standing an iron up.

My newest (3 yrs old now) is my Oliso, which I also like a lot because it does have an auto-off as well as "lifter legs". When I touch the handle the iron is hot in a matter of seconds. The "lifter legs" are great for me because I've always (repeat always) had a problem with lifting up the iron to stand it on-end, when I take my hand off the handle the iron "lifts up" ... love it - one drawback is the POINT is rounded :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by ggquilter
    Does anyone know if you can buy an iron that doesn't have an automatic shut off feature? I don't want that when I'm sewing, especially piecing. When I want to press, I want the iron to be hot, not wait for it to heat up.
    LOL after I left my iron on for 3 dys I decided that I need an auto shut off even if I have to wait for it to heat up
    In my workroom I have an overhead light that is plugged innto a surge protector. I plug the iron and the sewing machine into the same surge protector. When I leave the room, I turn off the light by turning off the surge protector and I know that everything else is turned off.

I've had expensive cordless irons and $10 irons and everything in between. They all start spitting and then leaking. I decided to just get a spray bottle with water and to quit putting water in my iron. I hated that method so now I will buy a $19.99 Black and Decker and when it starts leaking in 4 to 6 months, I'll get a new one. I like steam and I need the auto-off feature because I'm an airhead. IOW I've given up on finding an iron that will last.

I have to share about this Iron I bought.
    I got the Digital Velocity Iron that I mentioned. It was expensive. The Jury is still out.
    I have to say it is a very heavy iron. In the past, one of the things that I really like about an iron was the weight. I would usually look for a heaver one. However I recently had shoulder surgery and this one is tough for me to use right now. I know things will get better in time, but this is the heaviest iron I have ever used!!!
    I have figured out really quick how to disable the Auto off. Each time you start the iron it will reset to the Auto off but you can disable it. It does not have an on/off switch. I wish it did. I currently have it plugged into a surge protector so I can just hit the switch, but the Bose Ipod Dock is plugged into same protector, it has a rechargeable battery, so sometime I unplug, sometimes I hit the switch.
    I think I need to read the instructions to make it steam all the time when I want that. As is is I have to hit the "steam" button to get it steaming. It does not leak and it does not spit and I can get it to steam at low temps too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltsbybarb
    Quote Originally Posted by ggquilter
    In my workroom I have an overhead light that is plugged innto a surge protector. I plug the iron and the sewing machine into the same surge protector. When I leave the room, I turn off the light by turning off the surge protector and I know that everything else is turned off.
    I keep a night light in my surge protector. I plug in is in the ceiling so I can see it when I turn off the overhead lights. Still I have left it on for a while before catching it.

Blog Entries
    I bought the Protor Silex #17135 that some one recommended on this thread. I love it. It's very light weight, non stick soleplate and does not have auto off. At my Walmart it was $9.97.

I have to confess, my steam iron is a Proctor Silex that I bought in 1967. Although it's not so pretty anymore, have literally worn the paint off the handle in places, it works like a dream. It has never had a drop of water in it that didn't come out of a DISTILLED bottle.

Oh, yes, ladies tell me all the time, it says I don't have to use distilled water in my iron or it says 'don't' use distilled water. Of course not, within a year, if you sew (my fun game of choice) or quilt and use it maybe every day or every other day, it will be spitting.

I've never even use a cleaner inside, don't have too because you never get lime buildup with distilled water. You see, the iron makers are just trying to sell irons. It's kind of like using half the detergent in your washer or dish washer. Less does just as well, especially in the dish washer, that's what frosts your glassware, too much.

Oh, I have the other iron given to me at a kitchen shower for our wedding, it's a GE, no steam. That was 1962. I don't use it too often but I do use the Procter Silex nearly every day. I think back then it was probably $5. My friend bought a $100 Rowenta, last year. She dumped it in the trash in December, it was spitting already.

My DMIL was a seamstress for 70 years, the best advice she ever gave me was USE DISTILLED WATER.

Isn't it wonderful how we can all vent and air our likes and dislikes, and still love each other. That's a quilter for you. Quilters are such a special breed. Ain't it grand?!

Blog Entries
    irons can be so frustrating

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast