Stupid stupid Iron!!!

Old 01-22-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by shaverg
Maybe we should do like Barb M and get our irons from the thrift stores, never thought about that. At least we should buy a backup from there. Great idea Barb.
I have bought irons that have costed me over hundred dollars and didn't last a year. Have bought two irions at thrift stores for two dollars and have lasted me ten years. They are older irons but I thimk the older irons lasted longer. I just bought a small iron at a thrift store and I just love it. The small iron also has steam. My small iron is a norelco voyager and my regular size irons are black and decker.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Gramy
Is there an 'iron virus' going around? My Oreck died last week. I had not used it for about 6 weeks. When my classes started back up it was dead. It was free with the purchase of my vacuum cleaner so I did get my money's worth out of it. I had an old one so I dragged it out. Think I'll try the thrift stores too. The Reliable at Joann's is that a brand name?
Reliable is the brand, it is called Digital Velocity V100. I do not know if they carry it at JoAnns. I did not see it there. This is at a fabric store near my house.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:37 PM

I thought my iron had died also. I had turned it off after the last ironing and didn't check it before I ironed again. DUH!! Sometimes, it IS the operator and NOT the equipment.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:16 PM

Ok, I bought the stupid expensive Iron. DH said I could so I went to my shop and asked one of the ladies there to try and sell it to me. She has one herself and just loves the iron. She quilts and also sews garments. She talked to the dealer at the Houston Quilt Market and really was impressed by the company and the iron.
I hope it works. It cost me $151 including tax.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:57 PM

Congratulations! :)
Old 01-23-2010, 02:30 PM

Hope it lasts for you!

I recently bought an iron at Goodwill for $7. It gets really, really hot. When I bought it, the clerk said I had 7 days to bring it back if I found that it didn't work.

It gets hotter than the new one I bought a couple years ago. When I was looking used, I just made sure the sole plate looked in good shape.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by carrieg
Hope it lasts for you!

I recently bought an iron at Goodwill for $7. It gets really, really hot. When I bought it, the clerk said I had 7 days to bring it back if I found that it didn't work.

It gets hotter than the new one I bought a couple years ago. When I was looking used, I just made sure the sole plate looked in good shape.
These are the best. They are getting a little harder to find but I will take them anyday!
Old 01-23-2010, 06:23 PM

Same thing happened to me, but I had the iron 10 yrs or better. The iron still worked but the cord got so hot you couldn't touch it; I was afraid of a fire. MY husband researched the Rowenta. Don't get one that was made in China. The one made in Germany is ok. After reading reviews on them, someone wrote to get a T-Fal, half the price. I did and like the iron very much. It has the anti-calc valve. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
Does anyone know if you can buy an iron that doesn't have an automatic shut off feature? I don't want that when I'm sewing, especially piecing. When I want to press, I want the iron to be hot, not wait for it to heat up.
LOL after I left my iron on for 3 dys I decided that I need an auto shut off even if I have to wait for it to heat up
Old 01-23-2010, 09:31 PM

Hate to brag on it but my Rowenta is about 15 years old and works fine. I keep a small iron next to machine when piecing that is a Craft Sealing Iron. It gets hot and works great. Not that tiny little one I have seen.