Succesful Dieting

Old 01-15-2010, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by watterstide
the only "diet" i was able to loose on was "susan powter" remember her..with the crazy short hair?!
She's back, I saw her on tv a few weeks ago selling another weight loss plan, instead of "Stop the Insanity" it's something like "The Politics" about dumb choices versus insane choices or something.

I loved her workout videos in the early '90s, but this time I am going to try with a healthier live-t (instead of diet) and exercise. But, see there's a problem: I like the bad (tasty and enjoyable) food and I really really don't like vegetables or beans, and I don't like to move around to much (but I am not really fond of the dying thing either and I come from a long line of heart disease and diabetes) so my husband says we have to try. He said he wants me around because he doesn't know where any of the important papers are located. :-D
Old 01-15-2010, 02:49 PM

I'm a grazer too. I'm allowed by my height/weight/activity level to consume about 1600 calories per day. So I eat five or six SMALL meals a day...example:

1 slice 12 grain toast with 1 tbsp p'nut butter for breakfast. 208 calories
mid-morning snack of an apple, orange, granola bar, raisins... usually around 150 calories
Lunch is usually a large salad with 2 cups mixed lettuce, carrots, tomato, 1/2 ounce cheese. 1 slice extra lean ham and Newman's Own Vinagrette...total cals around 185 (Sometimes I add a couple of crackers...or I'll "splurge" and add crazins)
Snack in the afternoon, piece of fruit or yogurt...around 100 calories.
Dinner varies, a LOT! But by controling my daytime intake, i get to pretty much eat what I please for dinner, but I do try to limit it to about 600 to 800 calories, so that I can have a Skinny Cow ice cream for desert! ;)

I don't drink calories. I don't put sugar in my coffee anymore, I use Truvia. No creamer anymore either. I rarely drink a glass of milk, and any soda I consume is diet. About the only juice I drink is diet cranberry juice.

I don't deny myself anything that I really want. If I want chocolate, I have a package of dark chocolate, either the small Dove squares, or Hershey kisses on top of the fridge and I eat one or two of those. I've even been known to eat an entire candy bar...as an afternoon snack, or for desert after dinner.

The point being, it doesn't help to deny yourself something you really want...you're just going to binge on it later if you put it off long enough. Have it, but control it instead of letting it control you.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:01 PM

The Biggest Loser has several books I like almost all the recipes. I have the 30 day jumpstart and one of the cook books. I also follow the show.
Hungry girl also has some good recipes in her book. You can also sign up on her website and get emails w/ eatting hints.
As a detox you can do the soth Beach diet.

Eat healthy and natural. Organic and fresh is better :-D
Fruit veggies, fish and chicken, turken very little meat no more than 4 oz at one time. Portion control measure and weigh look at ingredients in the product.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:12 PM

You are all an inspiration. I also need to lose a bunch of weight, 5'5" 272 lb. Just got weighted at the doctors this morning.
I went to WW after a surgery, but the second I went back to work, the health eating seemed too much to deal with. Back to same old, same old.
A couple of years ago I went to a hospital nutrition program. Lost 25 lb in 3 months. Things in my personal life got very stressful and back to same old, same old.
I have really been considering another try at healty eating. Hope everyone keeps does well and keeps it up.
Congrats to those who have already seen the light!
Christine
Old 01-15-2010, 03:13 PM

I just try to cut out the junk food.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:19 PM

i go to bed ay 9pm to keep from eating...
Old 01-15-2010, 03:30 PM

I've lost a total of 50 pounds, still have 40 more to go. Did Weight Watchers but it's just too expensive right now. However, I have learned how to make a lifestyle change from Weight Watchers so I'm just continuing to do those things.
Make sure to eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables every day, 2 dairy, 2 tsp of healthy oil (choose from sunflower, oil, safflower, canola -- there's 2 more but I can't remember them), 6 glasses of water.
Weight loss is all about increasing your activity and making better food choices. Choose low or no fat whenever possible, trim visible fat from your meat. Choose less processed foods whenever possible (brown rice vs white).
Good luck and remember -- weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. It didn't come on quickly, it won't come off quickly. Healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:15 PM

I too am on the road to being thinner. I am cutting out almost all sugar and I have already lost 11 pounds in the two weeks that I stopped eating or drinking anything with refined sugar, fructose, or the like. I have had more energy and less cravings for "bad" food. It is a start... still have about 50 pounds to go!
Old 01-15-2010, 06:26 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

there is really no easy way to lose weight..and keep it off. That is the hard bit as we all have our weaknesses...
i find that by cutting your meal in half at meal times, eating slower and stopping when you are full all help. I dont use sauces or salad dressings. Eat wholegrain whenever you can. Have small healthy snacks between meals and drink at least 6 glasses of water a day.
You must exercise so find something you can do everyday that you enjoy.
I hate counting what goes in and avoiding sugar, fat and processed foods will automatically have you eating healthy foods!
Alcohol only in small amounts like a glass once or twice a week.
In winter I make a big pot of soup with a tomato base and throw in all sorts of vegies and lentils..very filling.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:01 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement. (You didn't realize you were reaching yet another, did you?)

I need to lose - too much to mention. And My DH has been diagnosed with diabetes. So we really need to make changes here. I'm going to check out the sites mentioned, and start!