Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Suggestions for buying a new mattress >

Suggestions for buying a new mattress

Suggestions for buying a new mattress

Old 03-18-2011, 05:21 AM

sleep number! my hips hurt so bad on a regular mattress. Dh likes his side hard as a rock and if I sleep on that my hip is actually sore the next day. My hip is much better since we got the sleep number 3 years ago.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Moon Holiday
I bought one of the mattress as you mentioned last year and after about 6 months we began complaining about the sunken center (only when more than one person is in bed)... We even got one with the reinforced sides so you don't easily fall out of bed if you're near the edge... but we're so not happy. Have wanted to buy something different so perhaps we'll look into sleep number because while I love the memory foam, I hate that sinking feeling.
Is the bed you're referring to a Tempurpedic memory foam mattress? I looked at a memory foam mattress and was considering buying it until I heard that some people say they have a hard time getting out of them...like the feeling of being stuck in the foam and also the "hot" feeling because heat does build up.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:28 AM

We have had the same problem with Serta mattresses! We complained and the store suggested we upgrade to the next level; which we did. Those did the saem thing! We will never buy Serta again -ever!! We will go directly to the local Hawn Bedding Mfg. and get our replacements. We are stuck with these for awhile for the price we paid for them.
I sympathize with your frustration.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:46 AM

Look into the sleep number, we love it because you can change the firmness, so if our needs change the bed can change with you
Old 03-18-2011, 07:49 AM

I would be in a world of hurt (literally) without our sleep number bed. We have one in our RV too. Love it.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:08 AM

I think after all the reccommendations on here, I might try a sleep number mattress too!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:19 AM

We just picked one up very reasonable - second hand - from a clean young couple with a child - very clean house - so we were not prone to think badly about second hand after seeing their house....

We watched Craig's list and there are a number of them on there - some people don't like them, but we needed something and nothing we purchased had helped, or it sank within a short time! So, we got it last night, set it up last night when we got it home and slept alllllll night - and woke up feeling like we actually had slept well for the first time in a very long time...

I recommend the sleep number.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:20 AM

My husband and I spring for a new pillowtop matterss from serta. Paid over a $1000 . I n 18 months it had sagged over 11/2 ins. They replaced it and we got one supposedly a little upagrade. Cost a little bit more. Same thing. We are looking for a really hard matteress but like you don't know what to get. We are thinking of the number bed so it is good to see so many who are pleased with it.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:22 AM

yep that is the thing to do, the second best suggestion was check on the internet, we got our there as well and spend the money for the frame.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by CloverPatch
Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
You might want to take a look at how your bed is made before you buy another mattress. It doesn't sound like the bed frame is supporting the mattress. So regardless of what kind of mattress you buy it is going to start sagging again due to lack of support. Even poor quality new mattresses should last longer than a month or two. Anyways just a thought. :)
That is what i was thinking. Either the box spring isn't cutting it or the frame doesn't support the box spring. Might be worth looking into.
I agree. When we bought our mattress we were told if we did not have a center support the warranty would not be good.