Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Suggestions for buying a new mattress >

Suggestions for buying a new mattress

Suggestions for buying a new mattress

Old 03-18-2011, 08:51 AM

I love my memory foam mattress! I have no problem getting in and out or rolling over in it, and when we purchased it the salesman recomended a mattress cover to help with the issue of being hot. I have never had problem with it being too hot. My sister has a sleep number bed and loves that one. I hope you find one that you are happy with! :)
Old 03-18-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Surfergirl
In the last 6 months I've had 3 different king size Serta mattresses...2 Trump and 1 Vera Lang. Both of these developed sunken spots in a very short time. My husband and I are not large people. I weigh 110 and my husband, 130. I'm now searching for a mattress again and am so confused at all the reviews I see online. I looked at a memory foam mattress today, but when I read the pros and cons, I don't think this one is for me. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good quality mattress, especially if anyone has purchased a mattress recently. I would appreciate any suggestions.
I am so happy to hear this, (NOT for you, but for me) the same thing happened to me, however my husband weighs about 240 and he did NOT cause the sunken spot. I weigh in at at whopping 120! I am not sure what to suggest however I refuse to sleep on this stupid mattress any longer and sleep on the couch! We are getting a new mattress this summer, as my back cannot take the pain anymore. Not sure what I will get, however I will NOT stand for the sunken spots anymore!

When we bought the new mattress, we bought a new box spring to go with it, and we spent a good buck for this pain!

TreeFrog
Old 03-18-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Surfergirl
Originally Posted by Moon Holiday
I bought one of the mattress as you mentioned last year and after about 6 months we began complaining about the sunken center (only when more than one person is in bed)... We even got one with the reinforced sides so you don't easily fall out of bed if you're near the edge... but we're so not happy. Have wanted to buy something different so perhaps we'll look into sleep number because while I love the memory foam, I hate that sinking feeling.
Is the bed you're referring to a Tempurpedic memory foam mattress? I looked at a memory foam mattress and was considering buying it until I heard that some people say they have a hard time getting out of them...like the feeling of being stuck in the foam and also the "hot" feeling because heat does build up.
No, the Vera Wang memory foam mattress is what we bought and we got the higher priced with the extra support on the edge. We also chose the low profile box spring, so the height doesn't have anything to do with the sagging. I believe sagging is connected to the regular foam below the deep layer of memory foam. We were told that the lower layer (non-memory foam) is what keeps it from getting too hot. The full memory foam mattress (like Tempurpedic) can become hot. We were also told to be sure to get the extra firmness on the edge so we don't slip off when sitting or sleeping on the edge... because that is where I tend to sleep. And, if I'm in the bed by myself there is no problem with sagging anywhere... it's just happens when there's more than one person in the bed.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:39 PM

we have a temperpedic because of the tendonitis in my shoulders.... best thing i ever got...
Old 03-18-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Barbpr
I am not an expert on mattresses but I have a hint when buying a new bed. Since the mattresses these days are so high, I found I had to 'jump' into the bed. So we purchased one with a 'low profile' boxspring, so the bed is standard height.

Good luck in your search! Barb
This is very true...the lower profile foundation is a good idea. That is what I did. I've had my Tempur-pedic for a couple of months now and love it. It does take a little getting used to the "sinking" feeling, but the absolutely restful night's sleep is worth it!!
Old 03-18-2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by ontheriver
Sleep number bed. I have never slept so good as I do now, I never have aches or pains when I get up. Can adjust each side to your preference.
sleep number beds are awesome.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:59 PM

I would like to suggest you go to www.overstock.com and get a 3 inch Memory Foam Topper. YOu will just put it on top of the Mattress you have. I got a King size with a cover for $103.00 and I love it.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:12 PM

I miss my waterbed!!!!! It was always warm and fit me! We gave it up because it bothered my DH's back. I wouold have kept it.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:48 PM

I have never tried a sleep number, but I have a tempurpedic memory foam. I have severe back problems. It is the first time in my life, that I have woke up without pain. I also have a 20 year warranty. They'll pull me out of it for my funeral, and not before! I hope this is helpful?
Old 03-18-2011, 06:49 PM

Try

http://www.bedinabox.com/?gclid=CMjT...FQOt7QodmWsT-g

we've had one since Christmas- we both love it