Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Suggestions for buying a new mattress >

Suggestions for buying a new mattress

Suggestions for buying a new mattress

Old 03-18-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by sharoney
Try

http://www.bedinabox.com/?gclid=CMjT...FQOt7QodmWsT-g

we've had one since Christmas- we both love it
Of course, you share this AFTER I spend for a Tempur Pedic.....lol!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:49 PM

Temperpedic. We bought the firmest they sell so no dipping of mattress as I had the same problems you had with the spring mattresses. I have never slept better and it has helped my back. I have tried the Sleep Number but it was not for me.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:08 PM

I have a memory foam mattress but if I have to replace it I think I would get a sleep number. My son and his wife replaced their memory foam with a sleep number and love it.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:44 PM

Those foam mattress give me the creeps! They seem so organic - like they'll swallow you in your sleep. We just got firm Laura Ashley mattress from Sleepy's . Love it!
Old 03-20-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Surfergirl
Originally Posted by Moon Holiday
I bought one of the mattress as you mentioned last year and after about 6 months we began complaining about the sunken center (only when more than one person is in bed)... We even got one with the reinforced sides so you don't easily fall out of bed if you're near the edge... but we're so not happy. Have wanted to buy something different so perhaps we'll look into sleep number because while I love the memory foam, I hate that sinking feeling.
Is the bed you're referring to a Tempurpedic memory foam mattress? I looked at a memory foam mattress and was considering buying it until I heard that some people say they have a hard time getting out of them...like the feeling of being stuck in the foam and also the "hot" feeling because heat does build up.
Surfer girl
I weigh 110 also and had hard time turning over in memory foam.
Did not like the body heat build up.
The answer is not in putting a topper over your existing mattress as it will cause you more problems...been there and done that...bed still sinks with it on.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:12 PM

there is the memory foam and then there is latex.
We got new beds last year.(twins) Put them together to make a king. Mine is an adjustable one. (Englander made it.) I love that matress. Very happy with it. The husband picked his out as he likes a firm bed, his has the cupping in the middle looks like he is sleeping in a sling. He doesn't complain but for the money it shouldn't do that.
Good luck.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:20 PM

Have a sleep number and after a year Dh and I hated it. bought a memory foam from Overstock in fact we bought two one for the travel trailer and one for the bedroom about $300.00 per mattress a piddle amount when compared to the sleep member. Free shipping.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by tlcquiltnut
there is the memory foam and then there is latex.
We got new beds last year.(twins) Put them together to make a king. Mine is an adjustable one. (Englander made it.) I love that matress. Very happy with it. The husband picked his out as he likes a firm bed, his has the cupping in the middle looks like he is sleeping in a sling. He doesn't complain but for the money it shouldn't do that.
Good luck.
(Englander made it.) YUP !! that's the one I had and even returned for repairs and it did it again so I tossed it ! Really bad on your back.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:17 PM

DON'T get memory foam! I have it in my sofa cushions! Yik!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:09 AM

WE have had a RESTONIC mattress for about 5 years now. It is basically the same as Tempurpedic but 1/2 the price since Restonic does not advertise like Tempurpedic does. It has a pillow top of memory foam. I LOVE THIS BED!.... If your partner is a restless sleeper you can't even feel them moving. Like the commercials on TV with the red wine and people jumping on the bed.... google them!