Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors >

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Old 10-27-2011, 06:04 AM

After reading everyone else's stories, I guess being descended from the Hatfields is kind of blah.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:10 AM

My grandmother and later grandfather were both on a wagon train(as children) leaving Oklahoma heading for Independence, Mo. Grandma say the Indians followed them and when they stopped for meals, they showed up to eat. Grandma said they were afraid of being scalped or killed, so fed them. She was only a small girl at the time. They settled in southern Illinois. When she grew up she married my grandfather who was 1/2 Cherokee Indian. Grandpa's family were forced to live on a reservation in Oklahoma. They didn't like it and quitely moved on with a wagon train going back east of the Mississippi River.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:12 AM

My Great Grandmother killed a Panther with her kitchen knife when she heard GGF screaming in the area of the barn. She ran out in the snow and attacked and killed it with no injuries to herself, only her skirt was ripped to shreds.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:20 AM

my great grandfather 5 times ago was a fifer in the revolutionary war...guess I had a boring family history ;-)
Old 10-27-2011, 06:23 AM

My father's ancestor sailed on the ship to Jamestown. Sailed back to England, only to find his family had all died from plague or something. He then sailed back over on the Mayflower and stayed. He was not a pilgrim, but a deckhand. In England he had been an actor.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

One of King Henry VIII's wives is family on my father's side. I forgot which one. My cousin is a genealogist. She said everyone is related to everyone somewhere down the line. She keeps me updates on all her findings. There are so many directions to go, you never finish researching. She loves it.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:25 AM

A family reunion is always fun when you have to explain where you stand on the family tree. My parents had the same family name Brault, my father was my mother's father cousin. My grandfather (mother side) and his brother married sisters. Two of my uncles (mom and dad brothers) married Lefebvre girls (not related. One of them had the same first name than my mom. My sister and qwo cousins were born 07/16/43. Cousins are married to women Miron, Morin and Moreau. Are you lost‽ No claim of fame here, just happy to know I belong to a family even I am not always sure of the link when I introduce them!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:26 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

well lets see .. hmm my heritage is supposed to be Black foot Indian who married an english man ..
DH 's side of the family doesn't want to talk about it (due to Hitler and all that jazz) as they are German of German amcestory but they do have a town named after them! DH's Mom is of Lutheran family line of pastors dating supposedly back to when Luther left the Catholic church.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

My birth certificate says I'm the firstborn of twins. My family swears there was only me born! But my mother died before I saw my original birth papers. So the state would not change it without her or the Dr. that delivered me statements. The Dr. and nurse died not long after I was born. So there are mistakes made and that can cause a lot of misunderstanding with no solution.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:31 AM

Am 99.9 percent American Indian, with a little French thrown in. As for checking history, since my father or mother were not born on reservation, it is hard to find. Alot of records only go back to 1900.