Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors >

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Old 10-26-2011, 05:29 AM

My grandmother and grandfather on my Dad's side owned a farm. My grandpa made moonshine and ran it. The Feds came to their farm one day and were going to arrest my grandpa and said they were going to take the jar of evidence (moonshine on the kitchen sink) to prove my grandpa was running shine. My grandmother picked up the jar and said to the Feds, this jar? This is your evidence? She then proceeded to dump the contents down the drain. Bye Bye evidence! They never could find his still. Rumor has it that it was hidden under the manure pile.

My grandmother on my mother's side came over on a ship as a stowaway.

Tough and strong women!!!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 05:34 AM

This sounds interesting.....
Old 10-26-2011, 05:41 AM

Boy, am I lucky. I found a 2nd cousin who had already done all the research ... I just have to finish the thread from his grandfather to my grandfather to me. Our forefathers came over on the Mayflower and future generations were involved in following wars. I am eligible for D.A.R.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:51 AM

No one famous in my family as far as I know. On mother's side my great great grandfather was full Cherokee.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:55 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Great post ! will be watching. have spent many years tracing family histories of our families ( mine and husbands) have found.. everyone has a story.. it they are interested in looking !

love reading everyones post ! hope more come !

Ell
Old 10-26-2011, 05:57 AM

Grandmother was born in the hills of Missouri, no record of her birth. She was "assigned" a birth date when she applied for social security. They used school records to guesstimate her age.

Another ancestor ran supplies for Jesse James, legend has it Jesse buried a pouch of confederate money along a fence line of this ancestor's property.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
On my mother's side, there were Hungrian gypsies! I wanted to find out MORE about them, but she was so ashamed and wouldn't talk about them --- and they were GENERATIONS before her.. I think it sounds intriguing....maybe explaines something about my needing to "explore"
That is fantastic,I have always been facinated with Gypsies since I was about 4 and my mom shut the curtians and forbid me to look outside at a group of Gypsies accross the street.Guess the rebellious side of me started early lol.

No fame or fortune here,Poorly educated hard working people,I was the first to go to college some thought I was "high falutin" lol.....However ....
I had a great uncle that was literally "tared and feathered" I seen the scars myself. Had another great uncle that was an organ grinder, I still remember his monkey. Hmmmm My moms parents did think my dads family were gypsies lol. (dad attended 14 differnt grade schools and 8 high schools and still managed to earn his diploma He was a great football player lol)
Old 10-26-2011, 06:42 AM

I had a great-great grandmother who was a bootlegger LOL
Old 10-26-2011, 06:43 AM

Mom's side came from Germany in the late 1600's. Settled in SC then relocated to MO. Gr-gr-gr-grandfather built a house that my family still owns. He & wife had 12 kids. Some were in the Civil War but not my gr-gr-gr-grandfather. 1 of his brothers drowned on his way home after the war when his boat sank. Gr-gr uncle became deaf as an adult and was killed when he stepped off a train and another train was backing up and ran over him. He's buried in the family cemetery behind the house. His brother was killed at age 16 when he got kicked in the head by a horse. Gr-grandmother was the only one of the kids to have children so the house and property turned to her. She died when my grandmother was only 5. Gr-grandfather remarried to an "old maid" who was in her early 30's. They stayed on the farm until on of his sons was old enough to take it over then went to live in town. Mom found out after her grandparents died (they did a lot of her raising) that the man she had always thought was her dad wasn't (he had died when she was little so she didn't know him either). Uncles told her it was someone else and that grandma had just married the other guy. Grandma would never admit it even on her deathbed so my mom went to her grave never knowing the truth for sure.

Dad's side...still working on. I know one of my grandfather's (not sure how many greats back) was also killed by a train. He was picking up coal along the train tracks.

Stepdad's side-his mom died when he was just a yr old. She died from giving birth to his brother and also getting the flu at the same time. The brother was so little the dr said he wouldn't make it. They made him a bed in a wooden box and opened the woodburning stove door. Built a small fire and sat the box on the open door to keep him warm. He survived! Didn't ever amount to much but he lived!

Diannia
Old 10-26-2011, 06:43 AM

On my mothers side, I'm related to William Teach (Blackbeard) and my daddy's side, Jimmy Carter (Please, no boo-ing!!!)

Oh, and my DH is related to the *Dukes* who established Duke University.