They wouldn't go home!

Old 12-25-2010, 01:21 PM

We always had a bunch of extra kids around, and there were plenty of times I had to shove them out the door. And they came from good ,loving homes. I think they just enjoyed being where there was a relaxed feeling and food to eat. I never had any problems with them, never let them forget it was my house, and that I was a mother, not a buddy. we had plenty of rules here, and we were treated with respect. Some of the kids called me MOm, and that was fine with me We had a large family room with plenty for teens to do, and I was glad that my kids were here. If any of them started critizing their parents, I set them straight. I believe there are just some homes where teens feel they can be themselves and be accepted, not being told what to say or do all the time. some may not a happy home where they want to be, and some kids would rather hang out anyplace but home for whatever reason they think is a good one. AThere were a couple brothers that spent hours at my house, and I later learned they didn't want to hang at home because if they said or did something that made the dad mad, he didn't punish them, but he made them watch while their mother took their punishment. No wonder they didn't want to be home!! The father was a preacher!!! One of the boys ended up getting in trouble, using drugs, drinking, and it breaks my heart. He was the oldest, and I think he just couldn't handle it at home anymore. This all took polace after highschool .my boys weren't here as much, so they weren't either.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by pineneedles4
When my boys were in school they had friends that came over to eat....every meal....all the time. At first I was upset because one boy ONLY came over to eat and then would leave...until I found out his mother had money for partying, drinking, cigs, etc, but never bought food. Another boy actually got whipped if he ate any food other than what was bought for him and stored in his cabinet (tons of Ramen noodles)...it sounded untrue until it came out of his mother's own mouth as she bragged that she allowed herself steaks but her kids were only allowed to eat what she bought and labeled for them! I never knew there were such skrewed up adults in this world! That same mother took a belt to her son (age 10 at the time) for taking some of "her" cheese and putting it on his Ramen noodles! I called DHS and asked them to investigate the situation and the horrible welts on the boy's back. I never turned a child away from my kitchen and they felt like it was paradise because I always baked cookies, cakes, pies, etc and kept them in the kitchen for "the boys". As adults, the first thing "the boys" ask is if I still bake. I think it's sad, but also, as a person in public education, I know that the small bit of heaven children receive during the day or from kind strangers are often the only kind acts and words in their lives. I think you are a wonderful person for allowing this child to share in your warm, safe, holiday home environment.
Our home was also a safe haven for one of my son's friends when they were in middle school and high school. He would stay for days and his mom never would even call unless she wanted him home to do some work,then she'd let him come back here. I did find out later (after they graduated) that the mom's boy friend abused the kids. We had an open door, and rules, and they always respected the rules. We treated all kids as if they were our own.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:55 PM

It was always that way when my kids were growing up! I always had somebodies kids at our house. But the great part was I knew where mine were! :D :D
Old 12-25-2010, 02:09 PM

There are a lot of bad parents in the world. BUt there are more wonderful parents and grandparents so it is our job to help all those we can one at a time.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:30 AM
tmg

You are home away from home. That's the way it is at my house. I wouldn't change it for anything.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:38 AM

We have 2 DDs & "another DD" who more or less lived with us growing up.She has 2 children ,stays in touch & in the Fall,she asked if she & youngest son could stay overnt....as they'd be here to visit a friend in the hospital.

Sure, come right on, you're always welcome, don't have to ask & they did.I made supper,with cupcakes for the little one.He was here in time to decorate them.After we cleaned up & had showers,it was bedtime for him.Then we sit & had a gab fest till nearly midnight.Her DH called to be sure they arrived safely & she was sending him kisses on the phone.

After a late brfast,they headed off, but not before we got hugs strong enough to nearly knock us over :lol:

We also have 3-4 other girls & a couple guys who keep in touch.You can never give them too much love.It will come back to you many times over.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:56 AM

I always had "extra" sons with my own three..and sometimes had daughters too. Now some 30+ years later they still come here when then need a "time-out" from life. They bring their own children and they all say Miss Connie has rules and she will enforce them. Their children like being here as much as they did.. they even call and want to come over without the parents. My door is always open and they know they can always talk to me about anything. I always get hugs and an I love you when they leave. I get introduced as their "second" mom to their friends. It really makes me feel good that they care that much.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:57 AM

Honey, you did it to yourself.... you have given your kids a wonderful upbringing, their friends realize how great you are and how caring you are. It is your fault that people come and don't want to leave. What a compliment! You may never know how much joy you bring to others with your warm loving personality. That is the price you pay for being so spectacular. Enjoy every minute.. more moms like you are very rare.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:40 AM

Thank you for saving the lives of the young and sometimes DUH. How very lucky they are to have you in their lives sharing a warm, loving place where they feel so comfortable and welcome. Kudos to you MOM for all the patience needed and all the love you give them. Rewards are a-coming. God Bless You.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:52 AM

Bless all of you who open your homes to kids needing a safe place. You may be the only way they experience what a true family is and see good parenting and relationships. Obviously they feel safe with you and your boundaries. I agree that we never know the misery some of these kids quietly endure at the house they live in. Some of it is unimaginable.