They wouldn't go home!

Old 12-26-2010, 07:18 AM

Count your blessings. My kids always had a house full of friends here. Would not have had it any other way. Some still stop by and give me a hug. Now consider that they are in their late 40's and early 50's. Still stop and say, HI MOM. Like you they had good homes, but here they knew they could air their problems and never be put down or lectured to. Would always try to help them find a solution and never judged them or told them what dumb things they were doing. Was hard sometimes but always was willing to listen. Even when the door bell rang at 2 AM. One of DS's friends had his girlfriend dump him two days before Christmas. Told me he couldn't cry at home so let it all out tome. Now he is married to a very sweet girl and has two daughters.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:48 AM

How sad it is for some kids! My daughter has an open house policy for her boys so there are always kids staying over. One boy stayed and stayed and finally she asked him what his plans were. He said he would love to stay and after finding out some very sad facts, she and her husband took him in. He never had a real home, was bounced around to foster home and foster home and now that he is 16, is happy as a clam and loving the rules and regulations imposed on all her boys. She now has 4 teenagers living at home and he gives her less grief than her own with their teen age angst and moaning. I just finished a quilt for him and cannot wait to give it to him. He is a fine boy who was raised in the most awful circumstances and is so very grateful for a stable and loving home. Everyone wins in this situation. Hope the story continues to a happy ending. Sometimes it takes a stranger to show the family what real love is. You just never know who will go through your door and touch your heart.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:05 AM

You should be PROUD that your house is the local hang out! There might be something that the "kids" are trying to tell you without using words!??!

When growing up, my mom never allowed us to have friends over. "What happened in our house stays in our house", is what she use to say! Not like we were going to go about and say anything, my dad lived in a different house, my sister had moved away, my oldest brother had moved away, so it was just my brother and I (13 months apart in age), and man did he like to control me and what I said or did!

So now in my house, it tell my son to have his friends over, any time of day and to do all legal stuff! You know, this house is always full. It doesn't matter to me if we have company or not, my goal is to raise my son to be a happy healthy young man who will become a productive member of society, and so far I think that I can pat myself on the back!
Old 12-26-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
It was always that way when my kids were growing up! I always had somebodies kids at our house. But the great part was I knew where mine were! :D :D
I was just going to say the same thing.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Jim

Our home was the "Home" for everyone too. We had to talk to the parents of every chid that stayed overnight at our house and they all were very aware of the rules and respected us and the rules. I wouldn't have changed a thing as all the kids had a great time and the memories now are priceless. Now the grands make our house "full". BUT, I'd never let kids stay overnight on Christmas Eve and I'd think the parents wouldnt allow that either
Old 12-26-2010, 06:42 PM

When my kids were growing up our home was always open to their friends. Some of them would stay to eat or eat cookies and bakery. I never turned anyone down and I believe a couple of them didn't have much at home. After the kids grew up and graduated some of them would come to visit during the holidays and I would feed them. They always appreciated it and some still call me "ma". It makes a person feel good that when they grew up they were still thankful. There are too many children that don't have food, love or faith. It is sad.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:58 PM

Joan,

It sounds to me that those kids NEED you. A kid who does not want to go home for Christmas Eve, or Christmas morning, must not have a good home life. What about their parents? Didn't they call to have their kids come home?

I got a good laugh about the 4 month old. She doesn't know what day it is and I'll bet her mom and dad are sleep deprived and found a solution for at least one night! Thank goodness for Grandma!

Diane
Old 12-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

If they feel at home at your place then I think it is a good thing.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:10 PM

They must feel really at home at your house. I'm like you tho. My kids were always home at Christmas!
Old 12-26-2010, 08:06 PM

Back when our 4 were home, our house was "the house" to be at. I did not really mind as I knew who my kids were with & what they were doing. We had house Rules & they were followed by everybody. No problems. We even had a rotating kitch cleanup policy. Trash take out, loading & unloading dishwasher was shared amongst the kids. I sometimes wonder if it was because we cared to make sure that our Rules were followed, was why we always had way more than our 4 every single night for supper.