Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
things received that have been treasured >

things received that have been treasured

things received that have been treasured

Old 11-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

I posted this before, but it is THE BEST GIFT EVER. DH - after missing the mark for so many years, made me this clock.

Runner up in the gift category was the entire set of Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVDs.

Attached Thumbnails attachment-2769.jpe  
Old 11-24-2009, 02:56 PM

I have Christmas lists from the kids. My favorite is my son jerry's- he was 5. Dear Santa: I try to be good. He still has the same problem at 24. He talks a lot (A LOT).

I have some papers that I let my oldest sew- I gave her needle and thread and she "sewed" on construction paper.

Youngest- all kinds of papers from school. Other daughter- same.

I have my boys tails (remember when tails were in?). I have them in ziploc bags. Cute little curls.

I have all my kid's braclets from the hospital from when I brought them home. And the outfit they wore (they are now- 31, 26, 24 and 19).

weird stuff, but it means the world to me.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Power Poster

When DD was 8 years old the local newspaper had them write why their mom was the best. Hers was one that was picked. I have it displayed in the dining room and it warms my heart every time I see it. I also have the quilt my mom made my oldest daughter. It's tattered now, but all my kids have slept under it and DGD loves it too.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:14 PM

I have so many but top of the list is my last conversation with my mom before she died. She shared with me things she kept silent about her young life during the war in Germany. She had no idea the gift she gave me that day. Watching and hearing her say the things she did, has forever changed my life. It helped me understand why she was so hard and seemingly insensitive. Oh how wrong I was. I sure do miss her. She was a strong woman. Did I say I miss her?!
Our son sent me a helium balloon for my first mothers day when he was gone to college away for the first time. He carefully packaged it and told me to call him when I got the mail. So I did and he said open it up with him on the phone in the CAR. Don't use a knife, he said only hour hand. When I opened it up it floated up to the ceiling in my car and I sobbed and sobbed. He also dedicated his senior recitle to me when he was graduating from college with a degree in music. He sang "It is well"
Our daughter, Made me a bracelet that she said had my name on it. She gave it to me when I was getting ready to leave for surgery (I was gone for 2 months) My bracelet said "MOMMA". When I asked her why she put MOM on it she said cuz you are my MOMMA! You guessed it I sobbed like a baby.
My husband has and always is loving. ..We were dirt poor and we were going out for "date night" We had a dog named Kobuk and this night he said try to guess where we are going tonight? I had no idea. He said it is a word you say daily...I had no idea. Well long story short. he took us to "the Kobuk" a tiny diner, and we didn't even have the money for 2 cups of coffee and 2 pieces of pie so ...we bought 1 cup of coffee & 1 slice of pie. We shared it all and had a wonderful time. One of my sweetest memories. He is so thoughtful!
Old 11-26-2009, 06:08 PM

Sounds like you have a wonderful family, warm and loving, and sounds like you treasure them all...
Old 11-26-2009, 11:02 PM

Have you thought of scaning those letters and notes and then embroider then onto a quilt. That is what I would do.
For my best friend I took a bunch of her husband photos of him growing up and photo copied then onto fabric blocks and assembled a quilt. I just tied the quilt so it looked old fashion. That quilt has already been asked to be willed down to his nephew.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:02 PM

Have you thought of scaning those letters and notes and then embroider then onto a quilt. That is what I would do.
For my best friend I took a bunch of her husband photos of him growing up and photo copied then onto fabric blocks and assembled a quilt. I just tied the quilt so it looked old fashion. That quilt has already been asked to be willed down to his nephew.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:50 PM

I had a bunch of boxes stored away because I didn't have room to put stuff out. Last summer I was going through boxes and found a bunch of stuff from when my son and daughter were young. My son thought I saved some weird stuff, but also thought it was great to see and loved the memories. One thing was a small box that jewelry come in with cotton in the bottom. He had cut a hole in the lid, I guess making a frame. Anyway, inside was some black stuff. I didn't know what it was, but when he saw it, he was puzzled. All of a sudden he started laughing. When he was young, he had a small motorcycle (Honda 80??). The black stuff is (he kept it) from his first burnout!! He had to admit it was great that I had kept his treasure for him. He has proudly shown it to family and friends.