Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
The things some people will do >

The things some people will do

The things some people will do

Old 06-06-2010, 11:40 AM

I have seen it. Know you tell me how people get fabric off bolt and hide it in a big bag or there coat. I have caught a few doing that in my quilt store. I tried slipping fabric off it isn't easy. What's up with some people.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:53 AM

When I see that stuff in any store, I head for the nearest employee who looks like they'll do something and report it! We all pay for it in some way when they get away with this!
Old 06-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Pam

Originally Posted by bstanbro
One time my husband and I stood in a grocery store line while the couple ahead of us paid for their groceries. The husband had cans stuffed in the kangaroo pocket of his hooded sweatshirt. We told the cashier what we'd seen. She said that, unfortunately, if the store doesn't see it happen, they can't go after folks once they've left the store. They could get sued. No wonder things are so expensive.
The grocery store is just following the law. In virtually every state the person stopping and accusing the shoplifter must be the person who saw the hiding of the merchandise. That is the way it is, how the laws are set up.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:51 PM

I worked for a WM store back home. The dept. I worked in was close to the dressing rooms. Imagine the horror of having to rehang a customers bra after she stole a new one and put HERS on the hook. Loss prevention said if they didn't see it happen there was nothing they could do. WELL! I followed this woman through the store and she was zig zagging the isles. I would get 2 isles ahead of her and hang HER bra on an obvious hook at eye level, I did this all through the store. I wanted her to know somebody knew she was a theif!
Old 06-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

Very sad but true.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:08 PM

It is a sorry world we live in.. I wonder why people are doing these things.

I would be scard to death that my husband or my children or heaven forbid my grandchildren would find out that I took something.. It would be horrible to live with that.

I feel like if I can't get it honestly then I don't need it that bad.. If I really really want something, I'll save for it.

Have you noticed no one here is talking about a young mother taking food for her kids.. or a homeless person trying to get a meal or a blanket..

I laughed over the bra trick.. can you imagine seeing your worn bra hanging everywhere? That was good thinking!
Old 06-06-2010, 02:29 PM

As I understand it in Texas, they have to wait until they walk out of the store before stopping them. Of course if they (store) are in error, they open themselves of for a law suit. The thief has the advantage. I am really tired of political correctness and people that sue at the drop of a hat.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I remember when I first started working retail a police officer showed up with a 5 year old child that had taken a chocolate candy when his mom was shopping earlier in the day. To make a long story short the mom had called the police when she discovered the boy had stolen and had the officer give the child a hard time and make the child return the candy and apologize for his actions. The mom wanted her boy to realize how wrong this was. I don't remember what my reaction was but I don't know if I could have done that to my child.
it's a good lesson for them.. My Mom did it to me, and I did it to my daughter. Lesson learned, I never stole anything again...I think it 's called Tough Love!!! :roll:
Old 06-06-2010, 04:30 PM
cjc

I used to think that there was nothing worse than a thief!!! There's the thief that steals from a family or friend that trusted them. As someone who has been stolen from, I want them all to get caught and pay... I don't understand how anyone could do that. And the ones that stole from me and people I know were suppose to be friends and family... Breaks my heart!
Old 06-06-2010, 05:46 PM

The mom wanted her boy to realize how wrong this was. I don't remember what my reaction was but I don't know if I could have done that to my child.
--------------------------------------------------------
When I was about 5 years old, shopping with my Grandma, I saw the most
lovely decorated box of matches I'd ever seen, and stuck it in my pocket.
When we were walking through the hills to go home, I took it out and was
admiring it when Grandma noticed it. She was horrified and made me walk
back, take it to the manager and tell him I stole it. I was SO embarrassed
that I cried. Her message got to me where it counts. I've been a good girl
for Grandma for the past 71 years!!