Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
The things some people will do >

The things some people will do

The things some people will do

Old 06-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tmg
Today I was at Hobby Lobby and someone was opening up some notions and putting them in their purse and changing the prices of their fabric. As if things don't cost enough as it is now... Happily they got caught!
So sad times/people have changed---I remember years ago when I embroidered, the Royal School of Needlework always said that all needlewomen were completely trustworthy and would await payment etc and I thought likewise ----obviously not now , the shabby few have spoiled this image.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:36 AM
Power Poster

I really think the jails should be a little bit more like the olden days....where you had to work for your food, lol! Remember when they made liscens plates, and worked on the roads? Now they watch tv, eat better than some honest people, get free medical and dental. Heck? Homeless? Break the law, and ya got a nice bed free. Really bites me that they get free health care, and I'm working my butt off and cant afford health insurance....sorry, off the soap box now gals!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:38 AM
Power Poster

Oh, I'm sorry, and guys too....I know theres more guys on here now to, which is great...but its so easy to say gals!
Old 06-07-2010, 04:59 AM

Perhaps if we had more tent cities in the US and Sherriffs like Joe, we might have a lettle less crime. But some people will never stop stealing I guess. I hate theives. When I taught school, 1st grade, and even now with my tutoring, I try to teach my children that copying from each other is the same as stealing from Wal Mart, etc. Most of them finally began to catch on and began to tell on those they themselves caught copying or cheating on tests and other papers. You would not believe the stories some told and still tell about who they know that steal in the stores. It seems like some parents actually teach their children that taking from others is o.k. and teach them to really steal.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by pab58
My fiance's son manages a CVS store, and nearly every week he files charges against shoplifters. The sad thing is that they get a slap on the wrist and a few days later they are right back in his store doing it all over again!! It seems to be their profession! There was one woman who tried to get away from him and he grabbed her arm. She twisted and turned, and her top twisted around and exposed her bare bosom for all the world to see!!! She eventually managed to get away.
He's lucky he didn't sue him for it. These kind of people are looking for something free, surprised she didn't try to turn it around and make him at fault. Have to be careful with these kinds of people.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:14 PM

i've always said that to be worth the risk it would have to be millions of $$...not a few hundred...

how embarassing would that be to get caught stealing notions....

get to prison and they ask you what you are in for.. you'd probably have to explain what notions are to most of the inmates!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by b.zang
The real sad thing is to see all these stories of honest people watching thieves. If we know of it, there must be a lot more happening out there!

I watched a documentary recently about shoplifting and was appalled by the extent of it. I had no idea! In the film, they said that anybody buying bargain items - especially drug store items - at flea markets is supporting organized crime which is what shoplifting has become.
either that or it "fell off the truck" trust me, i've worked in trucking for 30 yrs, nothing ever fell off a truck by itself, and was still in good condition!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by jane65us
Originally Posted by cjomomma
I remember when I first started working retail a police officer showed up with a 5 year old child that had taken a chocolate candy when his mom was shopping earlier in the day. To make a long story short the mom had called the police when she discovered the boy had stolen and had the officer give the child a hard time and make the child return the candy and apologize for his actions. The mom wanted her boy to realize how wrong this was. I don't remember what my reaction was but I don't know if I could have done that to my child.
it's a good lesson for them.. My Mom did it to me, and I did it to my daughter. Lesson learned, I never stole anything again...I think it 's called Tough Love!!! :roll:
my son did that when he was 4 or 5. a friend of mine's roommate was the store manager. i took ds in, and since he had already opened and eaten half the candy, the mgr explained to him that it couldn't be resold, so he would have to work it off... got a big push broom, and ds swept (to the best of his ability) every aisle in the store. worked for him!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:25 PM

I just couldn't do something like that! I don't understand those that do either!
Old 06-10-2010, 07:22 AM
Banned

wow, I am glad they got caught. I see open package in the stores, and it makes me upset. God bless. Penny