Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
We conducted an experiment......... >

We conducted an experiment.........

We conducted an experiment.........

Old 03-24-2011, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

Cute story
Old 03-24-2011, 07:08 AM

In my old house I had 2 seperate counters. Their counter and mine. Theirs had their food (up away from the dog), they didn't get on my counter. It was understood whos was whos.
When we moved there had to be some discussion on the matter. Now it is one continuous counter, but so far they stay off of it. Except for the rare occasion of going after the left overs. This usually only happens at thanksgiving and other "big" dinners. and always by the same cat!
I do the same thing. I don't make noises, I usually say "have you lost your mind?! Get down!" They meow and leave.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:37 AM

Just a reminder , they are here to take care of us. I' d like to tell you a story which just recently happened, Virgil a tuxcedo cat, . well I was kind of blue, few days ag, bills now coming in because of my bout with a boil. anyway, I was crying, Virgil was opn the floor asleep mind you! he woke up, and politely jumped on my lap, you know how they kneed a place before laying down, he looked up at me started purring, and laid on my lap! comforting me!, then about 5-10 minutes, he looked at me, I guess to be sure I was ok and jumped down and went somewhere else. So cats are strange sometime, and do know when we really need them. Hey I am not leaving out the dogs either, they do too! anyway I was comforted for those few minutes. thanks for listening.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Margie
Animals on the counter? I hope you find a way to stop that, but I have no suggestions. never owned a cat. Sounds awful though.
She doesn't do this all the time. She isn't up there when I am cooking or when food is being served.

We did this to see what she does while we are sleeping. We know where she is at, at the foot of the bed. Where the electric blanket plugs in, it's the warmest spot of the blanket.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:11 AM

When my cats are young, I put two inch scotch tape upside down on the edge of the counters. All it takes is landing on it once, and they learn to avoid the smell of it. Works like a charm. Easier to clean up too!
Old 03-24-2011, 10:04 AM

Mmmm. My Dusty, who has only been with us a couple of months, gets up on the table at night when she thinks I won't notice and sleeps on the place mats. I've started taking the place mats off the table which seems to have solved the problem but who really knows what cats get up to while we're sleeping.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:05 AM

thats to funny.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:46 AM

What a wonderful tale--what a great cat-so perceptive to your needs...that must be why God provided them for us--also nothing like stroking and petting them til they purr..
Old 03-24-2011, 12:14 PM

My kitties don't get on the counter, (I don't think) but they love to lay on the table runners on the dinning room table. I put foil on the table for a couple of nights and they haven't been on it for months. (I don't think, at least no cat hair)
Old 03-24-2011, 12:39 PM

we use a shake can to keep them out/off things that we don't want them to bother. But it's the same as a water gun- it only works when you see them. One of my cats has the BAD habit of scratching on the corners of my furniture. we can't seem to break her of it and we're going to get new furniture soon. If anyone has any suggestions, i would really appreciate it. Thanks.