Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
We conducted an experiment......... >

We conducted an experiment.........

We conducted an experiment.........

Old 03-24-2011, 09:29 PM

When introducing a new cat to the family I use a very mild soluation of amonia and water to wipe down my counters. None of my cats go near the counters. they hate the smell, one good sniff and the are off the counter after a few days I stop using it.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:39 AM

You might try wrapping in Aluminum foil loosely. It works for a couch, etc. Also will keep dogs off furniture. When she has learned, its a no no, she will stay off.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by donnalynett
My cat doesn't mind the sticky tape....makes a game out of pulling it off. He has his own little counter that I don't use for human use and we put his food dish there so the dogs can't get it. He also has figured out how to pull the faucet lever in the bathtub to turn on the cold water.
Our son's cat drinks from the tap. She lets our son know she's thirsty when he is home. He turns on the tap and she gets her drink. When he is at work she will drink from her dish.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:02 AM

We use a can of air and spray it every time they get somewhere they are not supposed to be. Now all we have to do is pick up the can and they run. Silly cats!
Old 03-25-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
Just a reminder , they are here to take care of us. I' d like to tell you a story which just recently happened, Virgil a tuxcedo cat, . well I was kind of blue, few days ag, bills now coming in because of my bout with a boil. anyway, I was crying, Virgil was opn the floor asleep mind you! he woke up, and politely jumped on my lap, you know how they kneed a place before laying down, he looked up at me started purring, and laid on my lap! comforting me!, then about 5-10 minutes, he looked at me, I guess to be sure I was ok and jumped down and went somewhere else. So cats are strange sometime, and do know when we really need them. Hey I am not leaving out the dogs either, they do too! anyway I was comforted for those few minutes. thanks for listening.
This is a true story:
I had just moved to Ohio and something brought me to tears. I went out and sat down on the back steps and just cried!
There was a mama cat that came with the house. Probably the few kittens tumbling about belonged to her.
Anyway, she just sat and watched me cry for a few minutes and then dissappeared. She was back in a few minutes, though, and I felt her nudge my hand, and put somthing in it. I looked, and there was a tiny fresh killed mouse, in my hand. Kitty lunch she had brought me to make me feel better! ....and It did! I laughed and tried to give it back to her. Nope! When I laid it in front of her, she pushed it back to me with her paw.
I am sure that in her kitty mind she was expecting me to enjoy the best treat she could think of giving me!
So, I put it in my apron pocket, and showed her my empty hands, she inspected them carefully, and I stood up to show her that the mouse was gone! She acted very satisfied....but I had a problem in my pocket! So I walked around the house until I found the kittens and gave the mouse to them. They were delighted! and ate it right away. Of course they never told on me!
Jeannie
Old 03-25-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
Just a reminder , they are here to take care of us. I' d like to tell you a story which just recently happened, Virgil a tuxcedo cat, . well I was kind of blue, few days ag, bills now coming in because of my bout with a boil. anyway, I was crying, Virgil was opn the floor asleep mind you! he woke up, and politely jumped on my lap, you know how they kneed a place before laying down, he looked up at me started purring, and laid on my lap! comforting me!, then about 5-10 minutes, he looked at me, I guess to be sure I was ok and jumped down and went somewhere else. So cats are strange sometime, and do know when we really need them. Hey I am not leaving out the dogs either, they do too! anyway I was comforted for those few minutes. thanks for listening.
This is a true story:
I had just moved to Ohio and something brought me to tears. I went out and sat down on the back steps and just cried!
There was a mama cat that came with the house. Probably the few kittens tumbling about belonged to her.
Anyway, she just sat and watched me cry for a few minutes and then dissappeared. She was back in a few minutes, though, and I felt her nudge my hand, and put somthing in it. I looked, and there was a tiny fresh killed mouse, in my hand. Kitty lunch she had brought me to make me feel better! ....and It did! I laughed and tried to give it back to her. Nope! When I laid it in front of her, she pushed it back to me with her paw.
I am sure that in her kitty mind she was expecting me to enjoy the best treat she could think of giving me!
So, I put it in my apron pocket, and showed her my empty hands, she inspected them carefully, and I stood up to show her that the mouse was gone! She acted very satisfied....but I had a problem in my pocket! So I walked around the house until I found the kittens and gave the mouse to them. They were delighted! and ate it right away. Of course they never told on me!
Jeannie
How sweet she was to be concerned about you.
I'm glad my kitties are inside kitties.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KathyAire
Have you heard of the 'cookie sheet theory'? You put thin cookie sheets or pizza pans or pie pans on the counter. Let them hang over a bit. Supposedly when the cat jumps up, the pans will fall to the floor with a crash and scares the cat. No more jumping on the counters -- so they say..
I need to try this! :mrgreen:
Old 03-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by OHSue
That rattling noise you hear sometimes is that cat yanking your chain.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
So true!!!!!!!!!!!! lololol
Old 03-25-2011, 08:10 PM

First, let me say that I haven't read through all the responses, so if this has posted already, add mine!

I read somewhere to set some of the old wooden mouse traps and place them on the counter and cover with newspaper.
The theory being that jumping on the paper covered counter will set the traps off and scare the cat without hurting it.

Easier to clean up than flour! LOL! :P :-P