Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize.........Aug sign up >

Weight loss challenge with a prize.........Aug sign up

Weight loss challenge with a prize.........Aug sign up

Old 08-03-2010, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by vanessa
I missed what kind of surgery you are going to have Missy. Can you share with me?

Vanessa
I am going to have the gastric bypass.

Missy
Old 08-03-2010, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
I just finished dinner and if I get the munchies I will eat my serving of grapes (17 large) or a pear or a peach. I love snacking on fruit.

Missy
Missy: Have you every tried frozen grapes. Not those nasty ones that come in the mellon fruit salad. Sometimes green grapes that have been frozen are really good when it is hot.

I also like to make a popcycle by putting fresh fruit into a paper cup. Then I add club soda or diet lemon-lime soda, or if you have it, mix orange and pineapple juice. Cover the cup with foil or plastic and put a stick through the foil and into the cup. Freeze. YOur kids will fight you for these.

Have fun[/quote]

I LOVE frozen grapes! Green grapes are my favorite. I have not tried the popsicle thing yet. I will have to try that tonight. Thank you so much for that idea!

Missy
Old 08-03-2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Originally Posted by vanessa
I missed what kind of surgery you are going to have Missy. Can you share with me?

Vanessa
I am going to have the gastric bypass.

Missy
My daughter and daughter-in-law have both had the gastric bypass. Both have lost over 100 lbs and look terrific. They had the surgeries about 4-5 yrs ago. My daughter has had a few problems, gall bladder surgery and sometimes with certain foods gets stomach pain. So she has to be careful what she eats. It's amazing. I thought about it, but feel I am too old now.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:28 AM

Last month the weight didn't want to budge, this month it seems to be melting off. I stayed the same weight most of July, the weight came off mostly in the last week. I guess I must of hit a plateau.

I'm glad I started this in the summer as it is to hot to eat a heavy meal. Just eating a mixed salad for dinner is fine.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:44 AM

Fellow persons on the road to health and wellbeing:

Please go on line and see if you can find the Dr. Oz episode where he discussion a connection between DNA and the appropriate eating program for your DNA. It is very interesting. There are no promises, but it does make sense.

Basically, if you carry your excess mostly around your hips, you probably do better on a low fat diet. Keep fat grams around 25 grams per day (I am not sure the number check first). Focus on fruits and vegetables and good protien.

If you carry your excess around your middle, you probably do better on a low carb program. Keeping carbs to aroung 40 per meal.

If you gain just by smelling or looking at food, you probably do better on a well balanced eating program.

Take a look at the show under Dr. Oz. com

Also, there is a test to take to discover your happiness level. This isn't a depression solution, it is about finding yourself just feeling happy. YOu will be less critical and more comfortable to be around. Take a few minutes and give it a look. Who knows how it might change your life.

Stay strong today. The food really isn't talking to you, it is just food. Today's feel good idea from Gwyn:

Put on a pretty cotton sundress, sandals. Put your hair up, some soft make-up on. Paint your toes pink or red. Put a chair under a big shade tree. Make a big cold healthy smoothie. Grab your favorite sun hat and get in that chair under the tree. Stay there as long as you can and drink in the wonders of summer.

Smell the roses, watch the birds, listen to the sounds and feel the warmish breeze. Let the relaxation of the middle of summer wash over all the business of planting, weeding, cooking, travel, guests, kids home from school, everything. As you feel yourself slow down. Just BE.

I'm quilting outside under the apple tree and drinking my ice tea. Later, I'm having my smoothie and we are having a built-your-own hoggie sandwich for dinner. All is prepared, I'm off the hook for the rest of the day.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:57 AM

Carol: How many inches have you lost? Dress sizes? I bet you look great. I'm proud you stuck to the program. Your body is changing. Keep it up cause your doing fine.

I would like you to start thinking about how you are going to handle food issues when it get cold and you are craving stew and rolls. Potato or corn chowder and bread on a cold wintery day. Oh what to do when the prices of fresh fruit and veggies goes up, the quality goes down and the variety goes out the window. Remember the 7 P's Proper Prior Planning Prevents P*** Poor Performance. Unless you want to be in this same place next summer, it is time to start planning, collecting, and preparing for eating and exercising during the winter. If you do, you will be ready for a better looking swim suit, fun and pretty sundresses, sanddels, healthy and stylish hair, a great smile and a thinking focus on having a really good time with your family and friends.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:59 AM

Please go on line and see if you can find the Dr. Oz episode where he discussion a connection between DNA and the appropriate eating program for your DNA. It is very interesting. There are no promises, but it does make sense.

Basically, if you carry your excess mostly around your hips, you probably do better on a low fat diet. Keep fat grams around 25 grams per day (I am not sure the number check first). Focus on fruits and vegetables and good protien.

If you carry your excess around your middle, you probably do better on a low carb program. Keeping carbs to aroung 40 per meal.

If you gain just by smelling or looking at food, you probably do better on a well balanced eating program.

Also, there is a test to take to discover your happiness level. This isn't a depression solution, it is about finding yourself just feeling happy. YOu will be less critical and more comfortable to be around. Take a few minutes and give it a look. Who knows how it might change your life.

Stay strong today. The food really isn't talking to you, it is just food. Today's feel good idea from Gwyn:

Put on a pretty cotton sundress, sandals. Put your hair up, some soft make-up on. Paint your toes pink or red. Put a chair under a big shade tree. Make a big cold healthy smoothie. Grab your favorite sun hat and get in that chair under the tree. Stay there as long as you can and drink in the wonders of summer.

Smell the roses, watch the birds, listen to the sounds and feel the warmish breeze. Let the relaxation of the middle of summer wash over all the business of planting, weeding, cooking, travel, guests, kids home from school, everything. As you feel yourself slow down. Just BE.

I'm quilting outside under the apple tree and drinking my ice tea. Later, I'm having my smoothie and we are having a built-your-own hoggie sandwich for dinner. All is prepared, I'm off the hook for the rest of the day.
Good advice
Old 08-03-2010, 08:12 AM

Dr Oz is amazing, no? I just love his show. I will go and look for that show and that quiz.

I just got home from seeing the psychiatrist and that went great as usual. But while I was waiting to see him I started butt-watching. You know, lookiing at people's butts as they walk around. Now, don't get me wrong. I am not a perv I am just interested in what people's butts look like lately. I made some observations as I was watching all of these butts. There are some people that nothing and I mean NOTHING moves when they walk. There are some people that have a little jiggle and then there are others like me that have stuff that moves even when I stop walking. I want to be a nothing-moves-when-I-walk girl. It just looks healthier than all of the jiggle in the middle and the thigh moving that goes on when I walk. Seriously folks. I now have a goal as for my physical person. Strange goal I know. But a goal nonetheless. I have hundreds of inches and pounds to go before I hit that landmark but I am going to work on it. Those nothing move people just look so healthy and in shape. So, there you have it.

I am pulling out my wheelchair in a few minutes and sit in the shade in my yard and drink something good for me and snack on my fruit. I may even take a book out there with me. I do like watching the people walking there dogs and watching the kids play. Oh yeah. I'll probably be butt watching outside too. *sigh* Maybe I am a perv after all. :D :D :D

Missy
Old 08-03-2010, 08:32 AM

Missy: At a normal weight the amount of junk in the trunk is mostly genetic. Get healthy, toned you will be the best you can be. I'm afraid if you set a specific goal like, nothing but muscle, you may get hurt. Besides, guys like a little jiggle as you walk away.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Oh yeah. I'll probably be butt watching outside too. *sigh* Maybe I am a perv after all. :D :D :D

Missy
Now that would get my mind off of food.........................WAIT FOR ME I AM ON MY WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: