Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize.........Aug sign up >

Weight loss challenge with a prize.........Aug sign up

Weight loss challenge with a prize.........Aug sign up

Old 08-12-2010, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Terryl
Today will be a bit of a challenge for me, I have a date tonite with my bestest man, (my 7 year old grandson). We're going to the dinner theatre to see Seussical the musical. Celebrating the 50th anniversary of green eggs and ham :) :) Guess what's on the menu? Now, I'm not much of an egg eater and as I don't eat meat, (only fish and seafood) the ham will not be a challenge for me, but the dinner is a buffet, my best laid plans for tonite are as follows: large salad, steamed veggies,(if available) and fish if they have it, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. If not maybe I'll be able to make it out with JUST a salad.
Terry: Remember why you are going out. It isn't for the food. It is to spend time with your grandson. You have a great plan, just ask the waitress to bring you some salad dressing in a seperate little bowl. Dip your fork in the dressing and then in the salad. Eat slowly and concentrate on keeping the conversation going. Try seeing who can recite the stories and poems from memory. Take two pens and see who can invent the best New Suess character. And, buy a box of sugar free, low fat fudge cycles. Then you and grandson can have a treat when you get home and can resist the desserts. (Remember: Chocolate ooey-gooey looks better on your grandson than on you. Careful, it will grow on you :D )

If you NEED something to nibble on, get some raisins, seeds, nuts, on a small plate and eat them one at a time.

Have a great time.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:56 AM

Ok Folks!

Here is my Letter of Interest. For those that might not know or remember, I was offered a position on the Advisory Council that is a state wide position here in SOuth Dakota. It is all about helping mental health consumers get the help they need and also to provide support in the various communities for people with disabilities.

PLEASE tell me what you think about this letter. I am a nervous wreck about it.

Here goes:

August 12, 2010

Dianna L. Marshall, Director
PAIMI Program
South Dakota Advocacy Services
1575 N. LaCrosse St., Suite K
Rapid City, SD 57701

Re: Advisory Council Position

Dear Dianna,

Please accept this letter of interest as my official request to be considered for the Advisory Council position of an Individual from the Public Knowledgeable about Mental Illness opening up on September 30, 2010.

I have been a consumer of mental health services in Rapid City for more than four years. I was also a consumer of mental health services in California for more than 12 years. As a consumer I feel I would have much to offer the council. I am very knowledgeable of different mental illnesses and treatments for said illnesses.

I have also spent a number of years working with private organizations preparing reports for various reasons. One of which was compiling reports for the federal courts in regards to property receiverships. I have a number of skills that I feel would be an asset to the council in preparing the annual reports that are required to be submitted to the Center for Mental Health Services.

I am confident that I will be an asset to the council.

Thank you so much for meeting with me last week and for providing me with the information regarding this opening.

If you should have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me via email or telephone. My telephone number is (605) 721-2967.

Sincerely,

Melissa Rains
Old 08-12-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Ok Folks!

Here is my Letter of Interest. For those that might not know or remember, I was offered a position on the Advisory Council that is a state wide position here in SOuth Dakota. It is all about helping mental health consumers get the help they need and also to provide support in the various communities for people with disabilities.

PLEASE tell me what you think about this letter. I am a nervous wreck about it.

Here goes:

August 12, 2010

Dianna L. Marshall, Director
PAIMI Program
South Dakota Advocacy Services
1575 N. LaCrosse St., Suite K
Rapid City, SD 57701

Re: Advisory Council Position

Dear Dianna,

Please accept this letter of interest as my official request to be considered for the Advisory Council position of an Individual from the Public Knowledgeable about Mental Illness ...which will be ...opening up on September 30, 2010.

I have been a consumer of mental health services in Rapid City for more than four years ...and in California... for more than 12 years. I am very knowledgeable of different mental illnesses and treatments for said illnesses. As a consumer I feel I would have much to offer the council. (you may want to tell them what you have to offer)

I have also spent a number of years working with private organizations preparing reports for various reasons. (what type of reasons) One of which was compiling reports for the federal courts in regards to property receiverships. I have a number of skills (what are you skills) that I feel would be an asset to the council in preparing the annual reports that are required to be submitted to the Center for Mental Health Services.

I am confident that I will be an asset to the council. (you said this above)

Thank you so much for meeting with me last week and for providing me with the information regarding this opening.

If you should have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me via email or telephone. My telephone number is (605) 721-2967.

Sincerely,

Melissa Rains
You may want to change a couple of things--see your letter. I have placed .... around those things that you may want to change and ( ) around some of my comments. Hope you figure it out ok. Good luck to you, Missy.

Donna
Old 08-12-2010, 09:20 AM

I made the corrections you mentioned Donna. Here is the body of the letter with the changes.

"Dear Dianna,

Please accept this letter of interest as my official request to be considered for the Advisory Council position of an Individual from the Public Knowledgeable about Mental Illness which will be opening up on September 30, 2010.

I have been a consumer of mental health services in Rapid City for more than four years. I was also a consumer of mental health services in California for more than 12 years. As a consumer I feel I would have much to offer the council. I am very knowledgeable of different mental illnesses and treatments for said illnesses. I am also highly knowledgeable in how to assist consumers with how to obtain services needed for their illnesses.

I have also spent a number of years working with private management firms preparing reports for various reasons. One of which was compiling reports for the federal courts in regards to property receiverships. Other reports were compiled monthly for the owners of the properties that were being managed by my employer. I have a number of skills that I feel would be an asset to the council in preparing the annual reports such as computer skills, knowledge of accounting practices and compiling data for said reports.

Sincerely,"

What do you think now?

Missy
Old 08-12-2010, 09:22 AM

Today will be a bit of a challenge for me, I have a date tonite with my bestest man, (my 7 year old grandson). We're going to the dinner theatre to see Seussical the musical. Celebrating the 50th anniversary of green eggs and ham :) :) Guess what's on the menu? Now, I'm not much of an egg eater and as I don't eat meat, (only fish and seafood) the ham will not be a challenge for me, but the dinner is a buffet, my best laid plans for tonite are as follows: large salad, steamed veggies,(if available) and fish if they have it, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. If not maybe I'll be able to make it out with JUST a salad.
Hang in there Terry. Just stick with your plan and I think it will be successful for you. Especially because you have already got some plans in case your first plan doesnt work.

I will sure be thinking about you as you are at the Suessical.

Have fun. That is what is important.

Missy
Old 08-12-2010, 09:26 AM

I made the corrections you mentioned Donna. Here is the body of the letter with the changes.

"Dear Dianna,

Please accept this letter of interest as my official request to be considered for the Advisory Council position of an Individual from the Public Knowledgeable about Mental Illness which will be opening up on September 30, 2010.

I have been a consumer of mental health services in Rapid City for more than four years. I was also a consumer of mental health services in California for more than 12 years. As a consumer I feel I would have much to offer the council. I am very knowledgeable of different mental illnesses and treatments for said illnesses. I am also highly knowledgeable in how to assist consumers with how to obtain services needed for their illnesses.

I have also spent a number of years working with private management firms preparing reports for various reasons. One of which was compiling reports for the federal courts in regards to property receiverships. Other reports were compiled monthly for the owners of the properties that were being managed by my employer. I have a number of skills that I feel would be an asset to the council in preparing the annual reports such as computer skills, knowledge of accounting practices and compiling data for said reports.

Sincerely,"

What do you think now?

Missy
Yes, it's very good. I wish you lots of luck, Missy. Let us know what happens.
Donna
Old 08-12-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by dgrindey

"Dear Dianna,

Sincerely,"

What do you think now?

Missy
Yes, it's very good. I wish you lots of luck, Missy. Let us know what happens.
Donna
Woohoo! I am glad I got it written. It has been such a worry for me that I would write a lame letter and would not be accepted for the position. I really do think it would be a good thing for me to participate in. I was so amazed when Dianna told me about the position. I thought, being a schizophrenic, that I would never be able to be a benefit to anybody, especially not a position of influence for state wide stuff. Holy moly. Whew.

Missy
Old 08-12-2010, 09:51 AM

Ladies, my name is "TERRYL" one word, I am not nor ever will be "Terry" I know it's not the most common name in the U.S. but it's the name my parents gave me. (Thanks a lot Pop) I absolutely totally appreciate all your words of encouragement and support as we make this weight loss journey together. It's wonderful to read all the posts and know that we have friends also taking this journey with us.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:53 AM

Ladies, my name is "TERRYL" one word, I am not nor ever will be "Terry" I know it's not the most common name in the U.S. but it's the name my parents gave me. (Thanks a lot Pop) I absolutely totally appreciate all your words of encouragement and support as we make this weight loss journey together. It's wonderful to read all the posts and know that we have friends also taking this journey with us.
Ok Terryl. Thank you for clearing that up. I would want to be called my name too. So, I understand.

I hope your day is a good one.

Missy
Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 AM

Missy,
You go, girl!! :)