Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What can be done for a swollen/broken foot? >

What can be done for a swollen/broken foot?

What can be done for a swollen/broken foot?

Old 06-11-2010, 06:47 AM
Pam

I just read this again, guess what NO ONE says aww, suck it up! Go get it checked and let us know how you are doing.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:02 AM
Google Goddess

go to Dr. or ER and get it checked out immediately

my mom age 76, just last week fell in the garage and didn't tell anyone, it swelled up immediately and in severe pain, 2 hours later was in lots of pain and couldn't walk, she finally decided to tell her hubby (who is blind) and he made her go to ER so a friend took her

She had sprained her foot and ankle bad, ER doctor gave her meds, and told her to go home, take meds, elevate foot and ice it for 20 minutes at a time and to stay off of it

I hope you are feeling better, please go to Dr. to get it checked out!
Old 06-11-2010, 07:14 AM

I just spoke with a nurse at my doctor's office. She said they cannot do anything until the swelling goes down, so ice it and stay off it. If I have to go out, to put on hard bottomed shoes that do not press on the swollen parts of my foot. She says she will check back on Monday if I haven't called in before then. (She did tell me to stay off a trampoline for a few weeks... ha ha :? )

She also said they had no appointments for today available, so if my foot started hurting worse, or the swelling increased or decreased and it was clear that bones were broken, I was to go to the ER.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
I just spoke with a nurse at my doctor's office. She said they cannot do anything until the swelling goes down, so ice it and stay off it. If I have to go out, to put on hard bottomed shoes that do not press on the swollen parts of my foot. She says she will check back on Monday if I haven't called in before then. (She did tell me to stay off a trampoline for a few weeks... ha ha :? )

She also said they had no appointments for today available, so if my foot started hurting worse, or the swelling increased or decreased and it was clear that bones were broken, I was to go to the ER.
not a very helpful response, in my opinion.

I think I'd take my self (along with the foot) to an urgent care center or the ER.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:19 AM

i second the motion for you to go to urgent care or ER.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:01 AM

They may not be able to cast a broken foot if it is severly swollen,(they wait until some of the swelling has gone down), however they should at least take an x-ray to see if it is broken and if the bones are displaced. Sometimes they even cast a very bad sprain or put a splint on it.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:08 AM

Thank you for giving us an update. Wishing the best for you.
Regards, Dorothy
Old 06-11-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie

Swelling is the trouble with not going immediately. Once things start to swell, you really do have to wait it out. But think of this.....if those bones inside are broken, they are sharp, and every time they move they are cutting into your muscle. Grinding you into hamburger.
Now, if that doesn't keep you off your foot!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Pam

Gosh, seems like the Dr office would have been a little more concerned. I sprained my ankle and told my doc about it 3 months later and got a lecture about getting it checked!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:22 AM

You won't know for sure if there are any broken bones unless you go to the doctor. I don't like going to the doc, but sometimes I have no other choice. 8-)