Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What can be done for a swollen/broken foot? >

What can be done for a swollen/broken foot?

What can be done for a swollen/broken foot?

Old 06-11-2010, 05:04 PM

I hope you have already gone to the ER. We will be waiting here for your report. try to reply by 11pm so I can go to bed. lol or are you just reading our advice....Put you DH on the line.................
Old 06-11-2010, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
I hope you have already gone to the ER. We will be waiting here for your report. try to reply by 11pm so I can go to bed. lol or are you just reading our advice....Put you DH on the line.................
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:
Old 06-11-2010, 05:44 PM

All right, I'm guessing the nurse isn't that concerned because you are walking on it. It may sound like a bad sprain to her, and that may be all it is.

I cannot believe, however, that she didn't at least send you for an x-ray.

In any case, follow her directions so you don't make it worse. Hoping it's nothing major for you!

Keep us posted.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:25 PM

I went to get my oil changed by my uncle (he owns an automotive shop) and my aunt, who is a former RN, took a look at my foot. She said she couldn't feel any bones out of place, but with the swelling, she couldn't be sure. She said that if I cracked bones, they might move as the swelling went down and that I should go see the doctor on Monday unless the pain got worse (which would indicate a shift in any broken bones.) She agreed that staying off of it and elevating it was important. So, I won't be on it for a few days. Guess I get out of doing dishes and cooking... yipee! Thank you ALL for your concern. I will definitely follow up with my doctor when some of the swelling subsides. I don't want to end up with permenant damage.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:49 PM

When I broke my foot a number of years ago they took xrays and did the ace bandage thing immediately, gave me crutches and tylenol3 and told me to keep it propped up and dont touch the floor with it till the swelling goes down, then I got a cast and hobbled around the rest of the summer.

BTW this was the day we were leaving Maryland to come back to Texas, so I rode all the way cross country with my foot propped on the dashboard of the van. We had to stop in Little Rock so hubby could sleep in a bed instead of behind the wheel (much safer that way). By the time we got home my tailbone hurt nearly as much as my foot! Got the cast a couple of hours before I had to take hubby to the airport for a years tour in Korea. Boys had just completed 5th, 4th, 3rd, 1st grade, and kindergarten, daughter was a toddler....not my favorite summer LOL!

Do go in Monday and get this checked out and in the mean time keep it propped up and let everybody wait on YOU!
Old 06-11-2010, 08:12 PM

You really need to see a doctor. When I broke my leg, I was out of the country and couldn't get to a doctor for a couple of hours. One of the first person to see me was a nurse, kept saying if I could move it it wasn't broken. Then when they got me to the Dr. on board ship, the nurse kept pushing my leg down flat to get a better xray, because she did not think it was broke. The pain was terrible. Well it ended up, I had a tibia plateau fracture, I had one of the worse fractures you can get and had to have two surgeries, they put in plate and screws and I was not allowed to put any weight on it for over 4 months. Sometimes I think nurses know as much or more than most Doctors, but in this case you really won't know unless you get an xray. Even if it is swollen they can get an xray.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:37 AM

Glad you wrote in again. If you aren't choosing immediate care the for heavens sake do what your aunt says. stay off you foot. get a rolling chair and have someone roll you to the bathroom then roll back to the couch.
My DH fell on the ice last year, broke his ankle. he has diabetes and nerothopy of his feet. he walked on it for 8 days, when the swelling did not go down he got worried.
the remedy was a cast, 6 weeks..because of age and diabetes it did not heal,..cast again , 6 weeks. absolutely no contact with the floor, a wheelchair came in. ramps went up for 6 more months. Iwas the one lugging the chair in and out of the car for all dr, appts. etc. he is ok now but has to wear a brace forever because that ankle is so weak now. so now when something happens we run to the ER. we learned our lesson/
Do what you have been told....stay off you foot. learn from Great aunt jacqui.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

Six years ago, I had a car accident(not my fault) and when my left wrist hit the window I received three fractured bones. I had to keep ice on it for over a week before they could cast it. It was such a hot summer that I had to put ice on it when it was in the cast to keep it from swelling so much. Nobody told me I could ice it in the cast but it worked great and really helped with the pain. Good Luck to you. I hope you feel better soon. (The icepack that was shown in an earlier is post is really nice to have. I have a couple and I really like them.)
Old 06-12-2010, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
It's your FOOT - you NEED it in as good working order as possible - go to the DOCTOR!

You do not need to have foot pain for the rest of your life!

I'm YELLING at you!
Thats Me hollering in the background!!! (I was in a boot for 3 months last year for foot pain, no injury apparent...nothing broken, just stupid mis-aligned feet... )
Old 06-22-2010, 11:46 AM

So...... How's the foot doing? Was it broken?