Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What can be done for a swollen/broken foot? >

What can be done for a swollen/broken foot?

What can be done for a swollen/broken foot?

Old 06-11-2010, 11:25 AM

I worked in a Dr office, the response you got is unacceptable! And this without any idea how bad your foot could be????
Old 06-11-2010, 11:33 AM

Are you hearing everyone on here, sweety? Get to the doctor. Ignore the nurse that you talked to, seems like she doesn't know how bad it is. Go to urgent care or even the ER if you have to.
Let me ask you this, if it was your SON'S foot, would you wait to take him in? NO!! So don't wait to take yourself in!! Take care of yourself, so you are still capable of taking care of others. (yes, I'm yelling at you, too!) :lol:
*hugs* and keep us updated!
(oh and ICE it in the mean time) :-)
Old 06-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

Go to the ER or get a different DR. You need to take care of your feet.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:24 PM

a little story...

My mom went to the ER had x-rays done, the er doc looked (not a radiologist) said its fine just sprained stay off it for three days, then go back to reg. activity.
She stayed off of it for FOUR days and tried to go back to reg. activity but couldn't really because she stands at least 12 hours a day ironing!
Walks (read limps) around with an ACE bandage on her ankle for TEN 10 TEN days....
ankle is still swollen, black, and hurting like it happened yesterday.
calls the doctor has a nuclear bone scan done.
HER ANKLE WAS BROKE IN FIVE 5 COUNT THEN 1 2 3 4 5 PLACES!
Six weeks in a hard cast, four weeks in a walking boot, three weeks in a laceup brace, goes back to the doctor....she is back in the boot and went for more xrays last night. She messed it up REALLLLLLLLY bad by walking on it after she was told she could!

Moral of the story...go to the ER, and make sure a qualified radiologist looks at the Xrays or scans! Good luck!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:31 PM

Please go to the ER or an Urgent Care Center where they can take xrays right away. It's better to be safe than sorry. As people are telling you, if the bones are broken and don't heal right, they may have to rebreak them, and that's like going through all that pain in convience twice. Please go. And let us know how you make it. It's nothing to ignore, really.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:33 PM

Emergency room now. if it is a break get it fixed now!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:42 PM

believe me that was not an answer. it was a put off. go to the ER.
She probably wanted to get out of work early.lol take charge of your body.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:54 PM

I broke my foot last year when I missed a step and fell on it. It started swelling immediately. Went to the E.R. (hospital is across the street and hubby got a wheelchair and pushed me there through lots of snow!) They did an xray and dr. told me there was a possible small break on top of my foot, so he put a temporary half cast on it and I had to go get a cast in a few days. Radiologist's report two days later said there were NO breaks. At the dr's where I got my cast, they took another xray and even I could see the break, which was not where the E.R. dr. said it was! He also showed me where there was a "chip" (expulsion fracture) on my ankle. When I got my cast off, the dr. sent me for an MRI because of the pain in my ankle. Found out there was a break in my heel bone too, just under the ankle bone on the inside. He said it didn't set together exactly right, so it will probably give me problems and require surgery to fix it at some point. I was amazed at how hard these breaks were to find and diagnose by professionals. Good luck with yours!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pam
Gosh, seems like the Dr office would have been a little more concerned. I sprained my ankle and told my doc about it 3 months later and got a lecture about getting it checked!
Same here. Broke my toe one day, put on my reeboks the next day and helped my husband move eveything in his dad's house to our house 5 hours away. Just my husband and I. Went to the doctor for sinus about 3 weeks later and mentioned it in general conversation with her. Shoe was off and foot was on the x-ray table asap! She was nice but verbal. I won't wait to go next time . She said even though nothing can be done about a broken toe the x-ray needs to be done because a bone can be broken in the foot and that needs a boot or cast.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:58 PM

Just go to the ER... that nurse should have told you to go to the er...