Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What does your  dIL or SIL, daugther or son in love call you? >

What does your dIL or SIL, daugther or son in love call you?

What does your dIL or SIL, daugther or son in love call you?

Old 01-05-2011, 11:13 PM

My DIL calls me by my first name. I would love it if she called me Mama and last name. :-D Lucky you!!!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:49 PM

My sil calls me Mom.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:00 AM

My DIL (exDIL now) called me Mom even before she married my son. And after they were divorced she called me Mom for awhile, but usually she calls me by my name now. She seems to forget now and then and she still occasionally calls me Mom. It confuses her new husband.. :D
Honestly, I would have preferred to be called by my name but I certainly wasn't going to tell her she had to use my name!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:04 AM

my sil calls me` wrinkly`only because I let him . lol.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:07 AM

I'm interested in this topic because for 14 years we've been happy to be called by our first names by our kid's spouses and close friends. Now that we have a grandson, it happened that one day when he was 11 months old my DIL brought him up to me as I arrived at their house and said, 'Here's Grandma!' He knows me well, but I could see by the look in his face that he was surprised because he'd just had a visit from his other grandma who is also called just Grandma. And there's also a step-grandma, who I assume is called Grandma, too. Already it's a bit confusing to the little tot. I suggested they have him call me Grandma Rose, and likewise with the others if it's okay with them. I have a nephew who used to call me Ro-ro when he was little, and that was okay, too. Anything at all is fine, as long as it's said with a smile!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:21 AM

I am not very close to my mother, so my husband refers to her as sharon, and my ex husband called them by thier first name as I did his mother.
However, I have married into a very loving family and I call Mom, Mom, and my oldest daughter calls her Mema. Before current hubby and I married he accepted my children as his and his family right along with them, therefore, the respect they deserve because of thier open love is the special names of Aunt and Uncle... <3 Life is good when love is apart of it.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by grendelskin
When my sister got married, my brother in law was not comfortable calling my folks by their first names so he calls them MIL and FIL (mill and phil)!
I like this! I called my MIL/FIL by their first names, but was never really comfortable with it ... and calling them Mom/Dad ... there is too much baggage in the original Mom/Dad relationships to be comfortable with that. Don't have any DIL/SIL as yet, though we are encouraging the two over 21!
Old 01-07-2011, 05:43 AM

our kids all call us mom & dad, unless they want something, then we are momma & daddy.... but its just a gag now.... of course watching our 33 yr old son, 6'4" 350 #s batt his eyes it pretty funny..

all the kids in law call us by our first names, except oldest dd boyfriend... she knew him in high school when the kids used to call me miss dawn... so he still does that..

the kids call us grammy & grumpy... not that he is, but the other grandparents were grandma & grandpa, other kids in laws were nana & pop, other kids in laws were mimi & poppy....so dh liked grumpy & i called my favorite grandmother grammy.... what we called the other grandmother isn't "fit to print"
Old 01-07-2011, 02:31 PM

our sil calls us barbara and david and our dil doesn't call us anything. her mother is dead and she's not comfortable with names or titles. that's okay. we know she loves us. she knows we love her.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:57 PM

my two daughter in laws and my son in law all call me by my first name and that's okay with me.
when i married as a 18 year old (crazy!), my inlaws never told me what to call them. i felt uncomfortable calling them by their first names but just could seem to call them mom and dad. for years i think i avoided calling them anything. finally (i was in the family 16 years) i started calling them by their first names.