Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What keeps you from sewing? >

What keeps you from sewing?

What keeps you from sewing?

Old 10-18-2012, 11:21 AM

Complete lack of motivation and restlessness is my reason. No doubt I'll settle down soon. By the way, that snake might have been tiny but I'd be forced to move. Nothing on this earth scares me more.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:26 AM

O.K.......Lets start with a husband who is 17 years older than I am. I spend a lot of time Turing lights off and closing doors and cupboard doors. Oh yes...and turning the water off in the kitchen or bathroom whenhe forgets to turn them off! The best one was last week when I came in from mowing the lawn and the frig. Door was wide open. That's just the beginning........I do all the house work, cook all the meals, mow the lawn, edge it and blow the side walks clean. It is now pecan season so I spend a couple of hours a day picking the little buzzards up. I forgot to mention that my sisters husband is dying of cancer so I am at her house almost daily to help her with him. Some how I fit in going to the store to buy food so I can keep cooking the meals my hubby likes! Is that enough? Really, life is good and God is good.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:18 PM

I'm lazy. I have plenty of time to sew...most of the time...

I'm a stay-at-home mom of a 3.5 year old boy, 2.5 year old girl, and a 3-month old girl, so most people understand when I don't get much or anything done...
Old 10-18-2012, 05:37 PM

Life! A job with long hours, other interests, travel, exhaustion. I try to carve out one day every few weeks that I concentrate on quilting. That's when I get most of my projects done. I am just not good at doing a little bit at the end of a long day.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:58 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

CYN: OMG that would keep me from quilting too !LOL and work !real work to pay the bills and then housework or yardwork
Old 10-18-2012, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
This kept me from quilting yesterday!
Please tell me the snake brought that creature in the house and it didn't just find it's way in on it's own!!! I'd never go in that room again!
Old 10-18-2012, 07:12 PM

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww is that a real snake??? Hope it was a kind non venomous snake. :0
Old 10-18-2012, 07:15 PM

Since I am a longarm machine quilter, my work cuts down on my time to quilt for myself, also I have outside work in the summer to do, teach an adult ed advanced quilting class twice a week currently, much needed house work as well as trying to keep my shop picked up. Seems there is always something pulling at me to do but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by adnil458 View Post
After my neighbor vacuumed leaves in the common area, he let me use his machine...which led to cutting bushes, hostas, etc. haven't even had time to get on board or sew a stitch. It is so beautiful outside in the Carolinas. Life is good
Garden work or anything else never keeps me from sewing. EXCEPT------I had the quilt all put together and was in the process of tying it down - mistake - one row on the block was upsidedown. I looked at it - "Only God is perfect". That didn't work. "Nobody will notice it". That didn't work. So I let it sit there with the block staring me straight in the face and I could not do anything with that quilt -- not in good conscience, that is. So, for two days I took that block out of between the sashing, corrected the row in the block, put everything all back and I pinned it back down and it is all ready to begin tying again. I learned that by saying "Only God is perfect" is an insult to Him. I learned that I am supposed to be in His likeness and He wouldn't sluff off a mistake by blaming God! So, it is ready for me to tie the quilt down now. Would have yesterday, but grandkids took precedence! There is a little mistake in it - one of the points is not spot on, but I can live with that!!!!!!

So, off to grocery shopping now and then home to sit and sew for a while. Enjoy the day. Edie
Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 AM

Annual physical and, you are RIGHT, it was a beautiful day in the Carolinas, just NOT for seeing a doctor! I have been cutting up my stash into layer cakes and jelly rolls at my big cutting table on the porch this week. I need to get a bunch ready for when it's too cold out there for cutting. I am making great progress but I have to make myself keep cutting. Each batch makes me "itch" to get to the piecing! Project Linus blankets are so worthwhile to make and I love doing them.

For those of you who long for retirement: I get to sew and "mess" with fabric every day! I look out on the sound from where I sew and I am so blessed. The only times I am not here sewing is when we are visiting family or when DH says it's time for a road trip usually to find me fabric! Even when I worked, I sewed something every night. It was my "thing" for me and my sanity. Now I am the sanest person I know!

Last edited by mhollifiel; 10-19-2012 at 06:08 AM.