Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What other talents are in your family? >

What other talents are in your family?

What other talents are in your family?

Old 01-18-2011, 05:42 PM

My dad was a carpenter too. He was the most talented person I have ever met. When we were young, he built an addition onto our house to make a bedroom bigger for my sister and I all by himself. He built my older sister (way before I was born) an amazing playhouse in the backyard, It was a Christmas gift for her. He built it in pieces in the basement, and then assembled it outside before Christmas and she got the key for Christmas. It has working windows and adoor with a lock and inside it had a wooden stove and kitchen table and wooden TV with a know that you would turn to change the pictures on the screen! THEN... you could also change it into the control panel of a spaceship and the pictures would look like outer space shots! SO COOL!!

When I was in high school, he built a camper for the back of his pick up truck... again, in the basement... and then reassembled it outside! We went across country in it on vacation! He could also do plumbing and electrical work and he painted pictures. He was so incredibly creative!

My mom could sew, knit and crochet. My older sister sews and makes jewelry. My twin sister makes jewelry and used to do woodworking crafts. I sew and have also done woodworking crafts and photography. I married a guy with no creative talents and no interest in it.... and now my kids are also not interested. They are into sports. I tried to get my daughter interested in sewing, but she just didn't have the patience. My son appreciates the creative things and has a good eye. I like to bounce ideas off of him, but he has never created anything himself. Maybe he'll surprise me someday!
Absolutely NO musical talent here!! haha!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:49 PM

There are alot of talented families out there. I sew, crochet, do woodwork, and any other crafty thing I can get my hands on..lol:)
My oldest daughter just loves draw and do anything that I am doing. My middle child wants to be a country singer. She is always singing. My youngest is three and he loves to get into stuff...haha...and he's really good at it.
My kids are very involved with my hobbies and if I'm scrapbooking, they get to play with all the stuff. They stamp, make cards and little books. They like to sew, crochet, weave, make jewelry, draw...pretty much anything. I think it's good for them to know how do do everything so keep busy.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:59 PM

Hubby plays guitar,does mechanic work,used to paint cars,welds(designed and built our wooburnig stove) and he can build things with wood but does not enjoy it.
Son play bass guitar(really anything with strings),plays harmonica,designs and builds go-karts.
Daughter writes great children stories,plays piano and is great with kids(her own and daycare kids)
Grandkids can bring joy to any day and make me laugh,they are the greatest,IMHO :roll: :D :thumbup:
Old 01-19-2011, 06:26 AM

My DH is a chain saw carver and makes clocks, I also do jewerly design, but best at loving grandkids and my furbabies and DH and my 2 sons
Old 01-19-2011, 06:33 AM

I sew, knit,crochet, embroider,huck weaving. I used to work wood,set up tiles and weave on a loom.
My mother made our clothes, knit and crochet.
My sister still knit and do counted cross stitch,
One of my daughter does bookbinding and used to give workshops.
On my mother side everyone was crafty out of necessity maybe , but they gave me a precious heritage.
I forgot my dad was a wonderful cook and baked the fluffiest pie, any time my aunts served a pie at a family gathering they would say of course , it is not as good as Albert's.
My deceased son was a whizz at mechanics, He had the reputation to be able to put up a Honda Civic from scratch. The auto parts dealer would phone him for advice.
I'm doing my best to have the GD interested. I keep my fingers crossed.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:37 AM

My daughter is a Magician, she makes people look pretty!(Beautician). My granddaughter, is an artist !
Attached Thumbnails attachment-163614.jpe   attachment-163615.png  
Old 01-19-2011, 07:06 AM

Brother came up with the idea to make the decals for long Island railroad in N scale, Ho, scale and painted the trains the exact color of the trains and open a business selling them it was a success. Family brothers father uncle all worked and retired from L.I.R.R.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingrandmafromMi
My daughter is a Magician, she makes people look pretty!(Beautician). My granddaughter, is an artist !
What do the signs mean in your granddaughter's drawing?

There are some wonderfully talented families here.

Mine includes a dad who does whatever needs doing - from woodworking to tile to roofing to farming to pruning trees - you get the gist, I think. His woodworking is always a work of art. My mom sews, makes wonderful meals and organizes activities on a grand scale - think Girl Scout camp for 150 - 200 girls. (I wish that was a skill I had inherited!)
My husband is an artist, and a whiz with electrical/electronic things. One daughter is an artist, a fantastic teacher (math, no less), and has created her own line of stationery. The other has a knack for music performance and keeping people laughing, and no fear about trying something without directions! :lol: As for me, well, I quilt, crochet, sing, bake, and make clothing.

Thanks for asking the question. Answering has helped me see again the wonderful things going on around me.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:10 AM

hubby plays guitar, sings--i play piano, accordion, guitar, banjo, sing, bake cakes (wedding, etc) , sew (made eldest daughter's wedding dress, bridesmaids, etc--catered all three daughter's weddings and did flowers for two of them), crochet, paint, do mixed media art, etc. (and i'm a nurse) two of three daighters are studio artists. two knit and crochet, as well, and sew, sing, play the piano, accordion, and/or guitar. other daughter has three sons--two have autism. she is the best mom--they are terribly sweet, decent kids (and she plays piano). mom played piano, accordion, organ, keyboard, and sewed. dad played sousaphone--and he could fix anything from a swiss watch to a sherman tank. (he was a machinist, tool and die maker, master electriian. if he couldn't get a part he needed, he would mill it.) both of grandmothers quilted, and one made rugs on her big loom she brought from sweden. grandpa jake was a classical violinist, grandpa gust played the harmonica. i was the luckiest kid in the world--the whole family had talent of one kind or another, and the only shame in life was not using the gifts you were given. can't beat the old immigrants for instilling that in the new generations.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Originally Posted by QuiltingrandmafromMi
What do the signs mean in your granddaughter's drawing?

There are some wonderfully talented families here.

Mine includes a dad who does whatever needs doing - from woodworking to tile to roofing to farming to pruning trees - you get the gist, I think. His woodworking is always a work of art. My mom sews, makes wonderful meals and organizes activities on a grand scale - think Girl Scout camp for 150 - 200 girls. (I wish that was a skill I had inherited!)
My husband is an artist, and a whiz with electrical/electronic things. One daughter is an artist, a fantastic teacher (math, no less), and has created her own line of stationery. The other has a knack for music performance and keeping people laughing, and no fear about trying something without directions! :lol: As for me, well, I quilt, crochet, sing, bake, and make clothing.

Thanks for asking the question. Answering has helped me see again the wonderful things going on around me.
I know they are letters but it has been so long that I don't want to guess and get them wrong. I used to know the whole alphabet in sign language and a few words.