Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What other talents are in your family? >

What other talents are in your family?

What other talents are in your family?

Old 01-20-2011, 10:57 AM

let's see:

my grandmother was a garment maker and fantastic cook. my grandfather was a custom gentlemen's tailor. my other gm was a garment maker and also did wonderful cross stitch, crochet, embroidery, and bead work in the 20's. my father was a talented pen and ink, pencil and paper and colourwash artist and my mother a magnificent knitter and cross stitcher. she also played the piano. my son designs robotics and lighting and my daughter is a sculptress and woodworker as well as a talented artist and quilter. she also plays the banjo, dulcimer, guitar, harmonica and borohn (did i spell that right?) she also has a good singing voice. my dh is an architect, pen and ink artist as well as a model maker and woodworker. i am a garment maker, sewing teacher, quilter, oil painter, cross stitcher, embroiderer and all-round pain-in-the-a**.

i think that anyone given encouragement and the right tools will show interest and some degree of talent in something.

i left out that my other gf was a furrier. he made me pony-skin coats with matching muffs and hats during WW2. one was brown and white and the other was black and white. my other father.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:24 PM

I play the piano and piano-accordian.My 5 grandchildren are all musical.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I ask this because in my family My Mom can make clothing, My Sister can knit and I quilt. My oldest DS does artistic drawings and my DD could too if she would work at it. My DH could have been a musician but gave it up when the kids came along, he can also can draw and paint art. We are still waiting to see what talent little man will have other than destroying the livingroom. LOL!!

So what talents are in your family? I would like to hear about them.
I sew clothes for my younger grandchildren, crochet, knit, cross stitch, and last but not least, quilt. My Mom used to make all our clothing, quilt, and do all kinds of beautiful crafts. Guess I got it from her because my sister does not do any of these things. I love all of them. Donna
Old 01-22-2011, 08:48 AM

We all seem to have very talented families. What an awesome blessing.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:28 AM

I quilt and sew did alterations for years
dh is a great fisherman and can build or fix anything(just ask dgd when they blew up a nearby bridge she told her dad that is ok papaw cant fix it)
oldest dd cant write
middle dd can teach
youngest dd grad collage and is chemist
dgd/dgs makes me laugh and fills my heart with love
dgm could sew anything didnt need a pattern
dgd could fix anything
dad was great a math
mom was a great nurse
Old 01-22-2011, 09:35 AM

I love reading all of these and it's amazing what talent resides under our own roofs. We are a resourceful people. I am a jack of all trades and can do lots of things if I set my mind to it. My DH is a math whiz and has a great mind. My oldest grandson is an innovator at age 7 and we can't wait to see what he'll invent someday. My middle sister writes poetry, youngest sister can dance like nobody's business and my mother at 78 still has a lovely singing voice. Thanks for letting me brag.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:02 AM

I'm glad you asked this question Carrie. I never really gave much thought to the talent in my family. As I read all the other posts I keep remembering other creative talents within my family!
Old 01-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by lauriejo
I'm glad you asked this question Carrie. I never really gave much thought to the talent in my family. As I read all the other posts I keep remembering other creative talents within my family!
You are welcome. I am doing the same and remembering lots of things I had forgotten about. I used to do crafts of all different types when my teenagers were little. How could O forget that?