Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 9 10

Thread: What was pattern of your 1st Quilt and did you keep it?

My first is my avatar. I belonged to a block swap group at Nitasplace.com embroidery site. I flew to the coordinator's house for a long weekend while she taught me how to put it together, and every trick she could in 3 days. Yes, I kept it. She has since passed away, but it will always hold great memories of Dot and learning so much from her.

A log cabin made with poly/cotton blend calicos. Made it in the early 80's with paper bag templates and hand cut with scissors. It turned out a bit big for dh's and my bed. I'm not sure if my math calculation or seams were a bit off, maybe a combination of the two. I used it until the some of the seams frayed beyond repair. Tossed the quilt but I still have some scraps of leftover fabrics.
    Last edited by pennycandy; 09-14-2015 at 02:50 AM. Reason: correct typos
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

Blog Entries
    My first quilt started out to be placemats but I was having so much fun I kept making the blocks until I had enough for a quilt. It was churn dash block from an old learn to quilt book. It was 12 different blocks and I fell in love with it.
    my daughter took the quilt to her summer cottage and left it over winter. The mice made a home in it so it is just a memory now,
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

This was my 1st quilt back in 1996
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    when I was 7, I started a yo yo quilt
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CMARAS1234 View Post
    My first one was a feathered star kit, and I called it MIST ON THE MOUNTAIN.It was various shades of blue, and I still have it. made about 40 years ago. one of my favorites, carol
    I remember the pattern .it was Delectable Mountain'
    "I do not understand ,how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to" ( and mine is my summer houseboat on a beautiful KY lake.) quote by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.

Blog Entries
    *** A double quilt of assorted color Maple leaves appliqued on pale yellow kettle cloth.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Can't rightly remember but think it was a commissioned quilt so did a 9-patch. The gent I'm teaching to quilt right now decided upon a snail trail and its for his personal use. Can't wait to see it finished as he's a natural.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Blog Entries
    I did a 9 patch but i made mine with a different technique. I made a "sandwich" which had the top, the batting and bottom all sewn by each square then connected with the middle strips. I was able to machine quilt each block before the whole thing was put together I dont remember the name of this technique but im sure someone will say what it is. Gotta love the ladies n gents o ere for their help. I have posted pics of the one i made and the pics may make it easier to understand. best of luck and have fun and most of all ... dont stress!!
    Debbie
    Laughter will make it all better!!!!
    My Horns Hold Up My Halo

My eldest daughter has my first quilt. It s a "Piece of Cake Basket Design" with a prairie point border. I even hand quilted it. I don't do much hand quilted now a days, my eye sight couldn't handle it.....just small projects now.
    "The past beats inside me like a second heart". -John Banville, The Sea

I always wanted to learn how to quilt so I signed up for a class and made a laptop log cabin quilt and I still have it. My mother-in-law gave me an antique high chair and I have it displayed on it...
    Gail in Vermont

triple irish chain ..my first quilt went to our friends' first baby. they loved it and when we moved to CA couple years later they mailed it back to me to hang in a local show. my hubby loved that quilt so much all of my quilts have been gifted or sold.
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

Blog Entries
    *** 1st was scrappy Maple leaves appliqued on yellow kettle cloth.
    *** My daughter still has it (30 years later).
    *** 2nd quilt - Found a book and picked out 12 different (but easy) patterns.
    *** Sort of my own Sampler Quilt.
    *** My son still has it (35 years later).
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

My first quilt is my avatar back when I didn't know points were supposed to be hard to do I had no problem and yes I still have it!

Paper pieced cats...one pink and one blue. Gave both away as baby gifts.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

My first official quilt was a blue and mauve string pieced star pattern. It's tied with that skinnier satin ribbon, and it doesn't have a binding because I didn't know how to do binding back in the 80's. I gave it to my daughter for an extra blanket in the 1990's when she moved out. My daughter had it on our guest bed last year when we went out to visit her so it's still around.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    A sampler quilt which I still own.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I made a Sunbonnet Sue quilt for my daughter when she got out of her baby crib and went into a twin bed. She was 2 1/2 yrs old, and is now 41 yrs old. I do still have the quilt, and two of the Sues needs repair. I will repair it if and when my daughter becomes a mother to a little girl. If she doesn't have a daughter, well, then, it'll be one of the quilts she'll have to do something with when she cleans out my sewing stuff after I die.
    Use your smile to change the world, but don't let the world change your smile.

My first quilt was an applique of tulips which was WAY beyond my abilities, which I see now. Turned out terrible and I have no idea where it ever went. My second was a rail fence and it proudly hangs on my hallway wall!

Watson

My first quilt was a Single Irish Chain baby quilt for my sister (first one of the siblings to produce a grandchild). It was turned, not bound, and tied, not quilted. I don't know if she still has it or not--the baby I made it for is in college now!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 9 10