Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: What was pattern of your 1st Quilt and did you keep it?

Banned
    tied farmyard scenes, sold it and most others for dog rescue.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatchGirl
    New to quilting and am curious as to what pattern you tried on your first official quilt? Did you keep it or give it away?
    It was an applique for my baby girl who is now 39 years old. She wore it out. :D

First quilt was an Amish pattern, don't remember the name, lots of black and bright solids. Had a chance to sell it, Hubby wouldn't let me. I dubbed it his "burial quilt", was going to wrap him in it. He died, had him cremated, still have quilt.

My first was an Ohio Star. A few points were cut off, but I have it and treasure it.

Mine was a Trip Around The World (TATW) and yes, I kept the pattern

Logcabin for my Mom and Dad 28 years ago.

Blog Entries
    Two pinwheel quilts for my twin grand-daughters when they were born (today is their 7 b-day BTW). Most of my quilts have been gifts.
    Blessings!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    . .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ Sally

It was a 9 patch. Pretty much the only pattern I knew about. A friend who also worked for basset hound rescue had some squares of fabric with hounds on them already cut out, actually 2 different fabrics. I had just gotten my humble new Kenmore sewing machine and she asked if I thought I could put a quilt together with the blocks she had. In my complete ignorance I said, "I guess so". Believe it or not I even with taking 2 weeks to figure out how to thread my machine(it had been 20 years since I'd used a sewing machine and I knew nothing of quilting other than watching my stepmother hand quilt tops) I did finish a Queen sized 9 patch quilt with sashing and borders AND matching shams in time for it to be donated for that spring's Waddle Pawction where it sold for an unbelievable, to me, $300.00. I learned soooo many things NOT to do and most certainly did many things the long way around. doG help her if she ever has to wash the quilt(currently resides in a little used guest bedroom). If I had realized how truly clueless I was I'd have never finished the quilt.
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such.

Blog Entries
    Stack n whack. Favorite pattern to this day, and yes, I still have it. Wouldn't part with it. It would not mean the same to anyone else. LOL
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

My 1st was a log cabin quilt and I did keep it...it's still my favorite
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

It was a quilt as you go log cabin, for my daughter's wedding.

My first quilt was the Ohio star pattern.My daughter still has it. I was not raised around quilting, so I knew nothing. This was in the early 90s. I bought beautiful cream and bright blue polester cotton(I didn't know that you were supposed to use 100% cotton. I found the pattern in a magazine. Had never heard of rotary cutters, used sissors. Didn't know about 1/4 inch seams. I quilted it in my lap, in spite of everything it turned out very well. It took me 13 months to finish. Said never again, but 12 years later jumped in with all I had. Usually quilt some each week. I have progressed so much since then.

It was a scrappy!
    Carol

My first quilt was made in 1977, for the birth of a nephew. I had sewn clothing for many years, but this was my first quilt. Unfortunately, I wasn't as "savvy" then as I am now about quilting. I chose the drunkard's path block. My fabrics were a red with white dots and white with red dots. For batting I believe I used an old cotton sheet (hey, we live in Texas and it doesn't get that cold here). Finally, the backing was red flannel. And of course I didn't wash any of my fabrics before using them. The piecing went OK even though there were curved seams. The layering went OK too. I echo-quilted it on my Singer Golden Touch-N-Sew. Because I hadn't washed the fabrics, the dye in the red flannel on the back came off on the bed of my sewing machine. I never got those red stains off that machine bed, even though I scrubbed it with Comet! But it did turn out pretty and my BIL and SIL loved it.

Best part of all, my nephew loved it! He turned 34 last year. I hadn't seen him in quite a while (they live in another state), but we did get the chance to visit his family and he told me he still has my quilt, quite worn from use, but now stored in his mother's cedar chest to keep it safe.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

Blog Entries
    Churn Dash for my dad!!!
    You know if your a quilter when you cleanup your sewing room and your family thinks your moving out!! Author U/K Sue

Blog Entries
    Mine was a stack and whack.
    Sadiemae

Banned
    Log Cabin with logs that I'd now find too wide.
    It dates back to the late 70s - early 80s and is completely worn out.
    It was on my bed for many years and now awaits being used as the batt in the next quilt I make for myself.

Blog Entries
    Trip Around The World...showed how to do it by a lady who had a fabric shop on the highway. This was in 1988, the year of transition. Nothing was said about 1/4 inch seams. It was done in country blues and pinks...so dated. It turned out pretty well. She helped me do the batting, backing and borders. Thien I did 'tacking' in a block pattern. I haven't done any quilting since, so am looking forward to getting it right.

Blog Entries
    My first quilt was one I seen in a book and fell in love with. It was made from Jacob ladder and Grandma fan blocks combine into one quilt. The Jacob ladder was arranged into a diamond shape in middle of the quilt and Grandma fans were place between the area where the Jacob ladder met. It really turned out nice. I still have the quilt although it has definately seen better days.
    Donna

My first quilt I received was 16 squares made of my wool and polyester and silky type dresses and coats for my doll. Made with love by my grandma, who showed me how to cut and sew and tie a quilt. Still have it, although it is shredded from all the washing.

The first one I made was while I was in high school. It is a one quilt block quilt called "Flaming Star" (sort of like the center of a Lone Star) that I found in a 1955 Quilt magazine at the Library. The magazine was doing a review of all known quilt block patterns at that time, so I took a photocopy of the blocks (the magazine was over 20 years old at the time and there were not the quilt block reference books there are at this time).

The pattern was a one inch square photo of what the quilt block looked like. I took the photo, blew it up 100x to turn the block into a 100" square quilt. All the pieces were cut by hand without a template (since it was back in the day when there were no rotary cutters). I just used my math skills to figure out the correct angles. Purchased WAY too much material when I tried to figure out what I would need to make the quilt. Sewed the all solids cotton/poly blend material with old 100% cotton thread. Used an old polyester king size blanket for my batting, and tied it every 15" or so with the help of my grandma (same one who gave me the doll quilt).

Still have it and use it, but it's heavier than ***@! Of course, when I went to start using it, the seams immediately started popping because the thread was old and there was no support from any quilting, so I started to try to use invisible stitches in matching embroidery thread to fix it, which didn't work! The stitches showed horribly. The quilt material is in excellent condition, except for the seams connecting over half of the pieces. Because my grandma passed away many years ago, I've been reluctant to tear it apart and do it right.

I designed it myself. Made blocks out of blue gingham and white fabric -- to look like sailboats (pieced). Bot bored with that so put plain blocks around them. Sewed a HUGE plain block in the center. MIL and I hand quilted the blocks. In the plain blocks we quilted in nautical themes, a HUGE sailboat in the center block and the borders were ropes and anchors, shells, etc. My son still has it the last I heard.
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    My first quilt was a "Take 5" and yes I still have and use it.
    Myrna

They say money does not buy happiness, but it buys fabric & fabric makes me happy!!

Moda University - State of Grace

Blog Entries
    It was a 9 patch with 1/12 inch squares in blues, reds, and yellows. Made it for my daughter. This was in 2002. Boy have I learned alot since then!
    Quilting in the Desert

Mine was at the age of 7, my Mom showed me how to take newspaper squares and put scraps across to cover the paper, then join the squares til you had a Quilt! I'm 57 now so its been a long time. Did I keep the Quilt- No, the pattern sure in my Head! LOL
    Last edited by icon17; 02-05-2012 at 07:42 PM.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast