Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What was pattern of your 1st Quilt and did you keep it?

My first was a Log Cabin that I made at a class at Joann's. I have it somewhere packed away.

Blog Entries
    My first was log cabin king size for our bed. I must have been crazy. Got it finished and used it for quite a few years until we change our color skeem, sold it for 25.00 in garage sale.

Blog Entries
    I made an Irish chain for a queen size bed to give to a friend.

My first completely on my own quilt was a sampler of many pieced blocks featuring solid brown, blue print, light orange with white! All very traditional blocks. I hand quilted it...took forever! That was in the early 1960's...I still have it and wouldn't take anything for it!
    Nancy

Blog Entries
    My first quilt was a "Quilts for Kids" quilt. I just mailed it today and loved it. I know it was not perfect, but it will always be special to me.

Senior Member Crazy Quiltin Robin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatchGirl
    New to quilting and am curious as to what pattern you tried on your first official quilt? Did you keep it or give it away?
    kept it used it on my water bed and it was worn out when I threw it out ....... I mean worn out.........

oops it was a nine patch and I tied it .......took all my scraps and my mommas and made it to fit a king size waterbed .....lol

I took a class on hand piecing and applique for a sampler, everybody in the class did a wall hanging I went for a queen size quilt and LOL was it pink! I still have it but I cringe every time I look at it

Blog Entries
    log cabin and i still have it

Blog Entries
    A yellow and blue log cabin. And yes I still have it. To many mistakes to give it away. But I like it anyway.

My first quilt was a trip around the world quilt. I have never kept any of my quilts, although I have some smaller projects.

My first quilt was the Double Irish Chain by Eleanor Burns. Made it king size and its still on my bed.

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    My first quilt was a rail fence done in 6 primary colors and was called "Crayons". I made three of them for my sister's three kids. Tied two of the, SID the last one.

Blog Entries
    My first one was a feathered star kit, and I called it MIST ON THE MOUNTAIN.It was various shades of blue, and I still have it. made about 40 years ago. one of my favorites, carol

Blog Entries
    My first one was for my husband. I didn't know how to sew blocks together to make a quilt but I figured if I slapped some fabric on top of other fabric, I could just sew it down. OOOOOOh I have learned so much since making this one, but it's still his favorite. It's all hand done, even though the backing fabric was prequilted(lol) I've gotten a bit better since then

Lurchie's Tarheel Quilt
    Name:  Attachment-260967.jpe
Views: 48
Size:  16.4 KB

It's been a few years --- someone else jarred my memory and actually, my first quilt was a 'puff quilt'. We loved it, then our son loved it. For him I took out the worn out squares and replaced them with good ones to make a twin size for him. Thanks for the memories!

King size "Night and Day" hand quilted and given to my niece as a graduation gift.

My first quilt was a lemoyne star and I almost quit quilting with that project. I was delusional and arrogant and thought I could start out with that. I drafted my own pattern and thought I was hot stuff until I started to put it together having no idea about corners or 1/4 inches. It came out real nice and my daughter has it and treasures it. I have since then learned a lot and have made 2 more for my other DD and DGD. I have also taken several classes to improve my skills. LOL

Blog Entries
    My first quilt was totally handmade. Bowtie, one my own mother had actually started. I found 2 blocks in her things after she passed and I decided I just had to finish it. Since then I've made 4 quilts. I do still have my 1st quilt, I think of my moma when I look at it. :)

I just used 6" squares and tied it with ....yarn... I about killed my hands tying the silly thing. Gave it to my sister and she used it for years but it is falling apart because I knew nothing about seams matching or anything.

My first quilt was a queen size scrappy made up of two inch squares. The material came from my mother's stash which she collected by makong clothes for us kids. Yes I kept it. Made it forty years ago. Ten years ago while recouprating from surgery at my mother's, house my house was broken into and along with everything not nailed down, even my dentures, it was taken. Wasn't smart enough to document the quilt, so it's on someone elses bed.

Queen size fan quilt made with Oriental fabric in 2003. (My avitar) Took me 6 years to get up the nerve to quilt it.

Tried to make a butterfly applique quilt - it still isnt quilted! But then made a king size hexagon - that's now on our bed for the winter.

My first was a Bargello, and when it is finished, I will keep it.

mim
    what is a 25 patch?? I'm curious??
    Mim
    Quote Originally Posted by hensandhollyhocks
    I am still working on my first quilt and I do plan to keep it. It is a 25 patch and I am using calico's a friend let me take from her "stash".

My first quilt was a queen size log cabin in pinks and blues. Still have it, and it is in pretty good shape for being 25 years old! :)

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast