Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: What was pattern of your 1st Quilt and did you keep it?

My first attempt at a quilt was 1975, elephants in gingham fabric appliqued by hand in buttonhole stitch and my daughter still has it. I have improved greatly since then. Moosegirl

Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by S D G
    My first quilt was a sampler. I did keep it. It is on my bed now.
    Ditto! Most of my quilts since have been given away though!

:-D

A simple 9 patch. Still have it, but is totally worn out.

Blog Entries
    I did not have a pattern for my first quilt and no I did not keep it. That is when I started making quilts for each new baby in the family

Blog Entries
    My first quilt was a GFG hand done, that I gave away as a gift. My first bed quilt was random scrappy 6" squares. DD still uses it.

Blog Entries
    i first one was a Queen size four patch, reversible with buttons on both sides. i kept it for many years and finally put it in my charity stuff because it took up so much space in storage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatchGirl
    New to quilting and am curious as to what pattern you tried on your first official quilt? Did you keep it or give it away?
    DUTCH BOY IN MY EARLY TWENTIES.AND I STILL HAVE IT AND NOW I AM 48

My first quilt was a very small log cabin. I still have it though I would never show it to anyone. Don't like the colors now and it's not even square. I think one end is about 2 inches wider than the other. Still don't really like doing log cabin blocks.

Blog Entries
    My first quilt was a jacob ladder/grandma fan comination. I have seen a picture of this quilt and decided I can do that. Low and behold I did it and hand quilted it also. The lady who owned the quilt store where I purchased the material was surprised this was my first attempt at quilting. Been hooked ever since

Blog Entries
    For those of us who sewed clothing, transferring our skill to flat quilts was not difficult.

My first quilt was a sampler and donated to the VA. I still don't have one of my own quilts, but hope to get one that I can keep before too long.

Quote Originally Posted by PatchGirl
    New to quilting and am curious as to what pattern you tried on your first official quilt? Did you keep it or give it away?
    The first I made was a double Irish chain by Eleanor Burns method in 1985. I bought the wrong fabrics, cotton with a little polyester because I didn't know any better before the class. I made it, kept it, and with cheap polyester batting still love that quilt and use it. Maybe because I learned to make more beautiful and complicated quilts I use the first one more as I feel it darn sure isn't perfect and don't care? I tried to machine quilt it and only could do the borders and ended up tying the central section.

Less than two years ago I found some quilt blocks in bins of fabric after my mother died. First, I was going to throw them away. No, I decided (even though I never sewed in my life), I will make a quilt. Unfortunately, they were not all the same size and I had no idea what to do, but forged ahead and VOILA! before I knew it, I had made a king size quilt. I didn't know from nothin' about quilting so I hand quilted the thing. My son has it on his bed, along with another king size I made, and has already spoken for one I have at the quilter's right now. Guess I'm hooked.

My first quilt was a log cabin. (super simple) I used Christmas fabrics and gave it to my mother. She keeps it on her bed all year around. She was so excited and teared up when I gave it to her. It brought us closer together.

It was a Tennessee Waltz I made in 1987, before the age of rotary cutters. It's SO soft from all the washings over the years. I still have it though I've had to repair it many times. It's a part of me.

I keep double posting for some reason. My apologies.

Tumbling Pandas. Made for my baby grandson.

The Ohio Star and no I didn't keep it. I had it on my bed for all of 2 weeks when my DIL saw it and fell in love with it and so off it went...

102"x102" Lone Star --hand pieced--half quilted and still not done after some 40 years. And yes its still in my TO DO pile.

Senior Member hensandhollyhocks's Avatar
    I am still working on my first quilt and I do plan to keep it. It is a 25 patch and I am using calico's a friend let me take from her "stash".

I did a queen size sampler quilt and yes, I still have it. It cost a fortune and turned out great.

Blog Entries
    Queen size Dresden Plate - never took a class or read a book before I made it-( I received the kit as a Christmas gift because I always told my husband I wanted to make a quilt) I hand pieced and appliqued it...then had it machine quilted. Took me 30 years and I will only show it to dearest friends who know naught about sewing/quilting so that they can say positive things. I have improved some since then. :)

Mine was the "Trip around the world" pattern. I gues you can say I kept it, it was for our son & daughter when they were small.

My first quilt was rail fence pattern, and I made it for my granddaughter.

My first was a monkey wrench pattern. It was a scrappy quilt made from all the leftover scraps from clothes I made my oldest daughter in the early '70s. If the quilt police were around they sure would have had grounds for an arrest. Used a 1/2 inch seam allowance, cordoroy was the background solid fabric, it was so heavy that I didn't use batting at all. Yes I still have it tucked away in a trunk. Probably would need a crane to get it out.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast