Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What was pattern of your 1st Quilt and did you keep it?

QM
    9 patch. It is still unfinished. The next 7 were for kids in the family.

My first quilt was made of blue bandannas with an old flannelette blanket for filling and a sheet for the back all straight machine quilting (made ca. 1970) and used and used until it was rags. No one would have wanted it, honest.

A roman candle and I still have it. Done in shades of red.

My first quilting projects were 2 Around the World pillows with 1" squares that I hand quilted around each sq,lol I didn't know any better & yes I do still have them My first full size quilt was a red, white & blue 9 patch that my grandson carried off with when he was young. I let him sleep with it when he spent the night & he thought it was his...I didn't have the heart to take it away.

Blog Entries
    My very first was 100 - 2" squares, ten across and ten down.
    This was my collection for the 100th day of school project.
    I was a teaching asst. It hangs on my office wall.

Here is a picture of the next real quilt I did. Just found two blocks I liked and then winged it on my own. It still hangs above the headboard of my bed. Still one of my favorites.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My first quilt top was called the Peace Block. and I gave the top away to my cousin. My first complete quilt was Grandmother Flower Quilt King Size, hand pieced and hand quilted I gave it to my Mom, when she passed my sister brought it back to me. I love it is all worn from all the use she got of it. Still smells like her too. :D

dd
    My first one was counted cross stitch baby animals I used for every other block and tied the corners. Didn't know what I was doing. That was for my first baby. When she was in first grade I took a class on hand piecing and quilting and made an Ohio star. The teacher told us when we were finished piecing, the next class she would show us how to make a pillow out of it. I just laughed. I told her, politely, that I knew how to make a pillow and I wouldn't be at the next class. I was going to make a quilt. She kinda laughed at me and said well if that's what you want. It took me 5 years to finish the quilt, all by hand, from scraps. When my daughter was in high school, I found out this same lady was the attendance secretary at school. I took it to school one day, introduced myself and told her about the quilt. She ripped it out of my hands and ran into the hallway to see who was out there that she could show it to. She then went over to the main office and showed it to all of them. She was so excited. That really made the wait worth it. Oh, you bet I still have it.

dd, that's a great story.

My first quilt was a Georgia Bonesteel lap quilted king-size log cabin. That is when I learned not to use a sheet for backing when hand quilting. I still have it although some of the hand stitching came out and has been repaired. I use it on our bed in the winter.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I first did a scrap patch back in the 70's. It was lost/stolen during a move in the 80's. THen in the 1994 I took a rotary cutting class and made a rail fence. That is still on my sofa today!

My first quilt was a lap quilt in 1976 for my first DH's grandmother. She was a quilter herself and I made this in the "Indian Hatchet" pattern (she was in the TX Panhandle where the renegades had been) because I just loved the quilts she had given us when we were married in '64. She just loved that I was going to follow in her footsteps. It was an honor for me. And yes, I have it back.

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    Mine was a turning twenty. I had no idea what I was doing because the LQS owner wouldn't help me at all. I still have it although it is SUPPOSED to go to my Mom. I got the bright idea to handquilt it...so it's been seven years!

Mine was from Quilt in a Day and I think it was the Morning Star quilt. I still have the pattern around here somewhere

I did a Grandmother's fan and yes I still have it. I made it in 1983.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron
    My first quilt was made of blue bandannas with an old flannelette blanket for filling and a sheet for the back all straight machine quilting (made ca. 1970) and used and used until it was rags. No one would have wanted it, honest.
    After reading the above post I remember that I did make a quilt back in the 80's, that was way before I 'learned' to quilt in 1999. I cut big squares of several calicos and solids for the top, used an old blanket for the batting and a brown and black stripped sheet for the back. I also made a dust ruffle from the gold calico fabric I used in the top and it served as our bedspread for several years. Last time I saw it was several years ago when we helped our son move, it was wrapped around his dresser.

My first quilt was whole cloth -- actually whole sheets -- in the mid 1970's. They were a beautiful sea and beach pattern. King sheet on top, king sheet on the bottom, poly batting in the middle. I embroidered the whole thing (instead of normal quilting) -- outlined all the elements -- it took a year to finish. We used it on the bed (I made curtains to match), then we moved, put it in a bag to take to the new house and you guessed it DH took the bag to the dump instead of the new house. I cried.

Blog Entries
    My 1st quilt I was 7-8 yrs old with my DGM made out of old clothes no yardage fabric. It's a very small patch quilt. The colors in it are plain ugly but to me the most precious quilt I own. I still have it 50yrs later.

My first was a lighthouse wall hanging appliqued by hand, and I still have it hanging above my couch. It amazes me everything I look at it. I still like it very much.

Double Irish Chain and I still have it.

My first actual quilt was something I made up. It was a quilt for my young daughter at the time. It was a combination of patchwork and appliqued hearts. I haven't been able to find it after our move. 8( But would love to see it again.

I made a pink and green Rail Fence at a class. A friend wanted it for her mom who was diagnosed with breast cancer. I machine embroidered inspirational words she wanted around the border, then sold it to her for the cost of materials.

How I ever got the words to come out evenly around the border is anyone's guess. The top was even perfectly square when it was done and ready for the long arm quilter. It was freakish, dumb, newbie luck. And a heck of a good instructor at the class!

My first quilt was an eight point star and gave it to n elderly aunt. I have made many since, big and small but have only kept one, a cathedral window I made for my husband in 1983!

Blog Entries
    It was a rail fence and I gave it to my mother in law, when she passed away I got it back.

My first quilt was a 4 patch with a plain white square in between the 4 patches. I tied it, used plain muslin for the backing. Yes, I still have it. I've heard it is bad luck to give away the first thing you make, no matter what it is.

My first quilt was a 10 minute block... took a whole lot longer than 10 minutes.

I gave it to a dear friend for her child. I was so excited because I hand quilted it and still got it to her, in Germany, before the arrival of her daughter Alma. :D

Wow, these are all great stories and SO inspirational for us Rookies!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast