What would you do?

Old 08-04-2011, 06:56 AM

I am sorry this happened to you . But I think I would go to the store an tell her I want it back now . fabric lining an money. An make sure someone is there to hear what you say. She should never had told you she would do them 4 you.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:19 AM

I don't know that it will do much good to get the store manager involved. They may just fire her on the spot for violating store policy against soliciting outside work while working as agent for JoAnne. The store was not recommending her to you as a seamstress. Like I said before since she isn't responding to your attempts at contacting her, finding her at her job may be the only way. If the manager or other personel overhear your conversation then well that is the risk she took when she offered her services in the first place. I guess you both will have learned a lesson in this, but you should not be out your fabric and your money. She needs to return it all to you.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:22 AM

She must have needed the $10 very badly to do that and even risk her job... But it is your $10...and your fabric... I would go and ask for the fabric back and tell her if she needed it that badly to keep the money... and never have her "clerk" for me again.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:26 AM

The clerk may have meant well, but she shouldn't have approached you through her employment, she could have got in trouble if a co-worker over heard her, She needs to make it right. She was going to do a job, and then didn't, I would chase her down and be asking What the heck. If her time was consumed with kids and life, at least she could say so and give you back the fabric and etc, to at least make things as best as could be. You never know, you might open up some kind of scam going on. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:32 AM

She has children, so think of them. You don't want them to loose their job because of a little material for curtains. Just ask to pick up the pattern and material. Don't pay any one until a job is completed.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:04 AM

I agree she's probably done this to others

Originally Posted by jljack
Go to the store and confront her about it. That was totally inappropriate for her to solicit your work and then totally ignore you.

Don't hold off. Go today!!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:19 AM

I'm with Zephyr... She may not even have 5 kids and is using peoples sympathy to not report her. And, she's made off like a bandit with money, fabric, and pattern.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:24 AM

I think I'd email her telling her that you understand that she's busy and hasn't had a chance to get to the curtains so you'll pick the materials up Saturday and work on them yourself. That way she maybe won't feel awkward about not getting it done, and you can get your materials back easier. If she doesn't have the $10 to give you, hopefully she spent it on groceries for the kids. Don't condem her without knowing the story. Life happens and mistakes are made. She probably thought she could do it for you and found out she had no idea how to do it.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:00 AM

You have a legitimate complaint with her... she should never have committed to do that and then ignore you. However, in light of the fact of ever-growing unemployment and what it will do to our society, I suggest that you take it up first with her (in the store), but if she balks, only then go to the manager. Let her know upfront that you will complain to the manager, and I bet that will do the trick. Frankly, I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for someone's losing his/her job - especially with children involved - even if they had shafted me, and I'll bet you wouldn't, either. We are in for some bad times.. times that call for overlooking a lot of petty problems. But this is a good lesson for all of us... as the Germans say, Selbst getan ist wohl getan... more pithilly, if you want a job done right, do it yourself.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Hope you get your fabric back. It's a shame that people don't follow through on their promises.