What are you reading?

Old 08-16-2015, 03:24 AM

Just read "Ambassador's Daughter" by Pam Jenoff. It kept me reading to the end.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:38 AM

One of my favorites is James Patterson and I just finished the Maximum Ride series. Now I'm reading To Kill A Mockingbird. I've started it before but didn't finish it. This time I am determined to get to the end.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:56 AM

Funny you should ask. Yesterday I started reading, "We regret to inform you". This was written by a guy from my hometown of Medina, NY. It's suppose to be fiction based on a true story. What is nice is seeing street names, locations, etc that I am familiar with. But what is creepy is seeing my father's name in print as one of the main characters. My father is still living at 96 years old. Been in Medina all his life. Can't understand why the author used a living person's name. Since the author grew up in this small town, must have had contact with some of my relatives as he went through the school system, wouldn't you think he would have picked names for characters out of the box?
Haven't read enough to decide if it is a good story. But it's still creepy.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:56 AM

Jo M, I'm a big Ken Follett fan, too. Pillars of the Earth got me hooked. I'm reading his earlier book about Nazi Germany now -- it's called Jack Daws. And I really like Lawrence Block -- especially his earliest books. I hadn't read any of his books in several years and recently picked up the first of his Matthew Scudder series and really enjoyed it.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

I posted this in another thread, but I just finished reading The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom. It's so well written you just can't put it down. It's set on a plantation in the late 1700's... and the story is told from two viewpoints. One is a slave on the plantation and the other is an Irish indentured servant girl. Great read.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:16 AM

I was one of those folks who had "Go Set a Watchman" on pre-order and could hardly wait for the release date so I could read it. Disappointment doesn't even begin to cover it. I felt very violated after having read it, like I had been tricked or set up. After reading more about it after its' release it is clear that this was a first draft of "To Kill a Mockingbird". Harper Lee's sister who managed her affairs for years said so and this manuscript only came into the public's eye after her death last fall. Harper Lee is severely hard of hearing and suffers from the after-effects of a stroke she had several years ago. After I finished the book I wanted to read something that was very far away from anything like that so I read a few "chick-lit" novels, Dorothea Benton Frank's "All the Single Ladies" and Elin Hildebrand's "The Rumor". So far they have done nothing to erase the bad taste I still have lingering after "Go Set a Watchman". My book club starts up again in September after a summer hiatus so am anxious to have something new to read.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by kayluvs2quilt View Post
I am currently reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (sp?)....up to book six.
I love that series. I've read most but also have listened to some on audio and that is very enjoyable, as well.

I like just about everything that I've seen mentioned here but there are some I'm not familiar with so I'll need to check into those.

Love the Ken Follett books. Edward Rutherford is another favorite of mine. He wrote Sarum, London, New York, and a bunch of others I haven't gotten to yet.

Phillipa Gregory is a great author if you enjoy historical fiction about the royalty of England.

Two other female authors that I really like a lot are Rosamund Pilcher (The Shell Seekers) and Ann Rivers Siddon.

For just a pleasant 'summer read' I like Elin Hillderbrand. I think she has a new book and I have to find out what it is.

We just read Ashley's War for my book group. That was not fiction and was very eye opening.

I usually have something by Dorothea Benton Frank on CD in the car. Her books always make we want to visit South Carolina.

Those are pretty much off the top of my head but, honestly, I'd read the phone book in a pinch.

Last edited by sparkys_mom; 08-16-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:45 AM

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
Old 08-16-2015, 10:59 AM

robert Parker....love him
Old 08-16-2015, 11:08 AM
Power Poster

If you like historical mystery this series is great.

The Hangmans's Daughter by Oliver Potzsch

Also Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

The Hunger Games series is excellent. The movie versions did a big injustice to the books.

I always forget: underline or quotations for book titles? One if for magazines one is for books.

Last edited by Onebyone; 08-16-2015 at 11:12 AM.