Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What is YOUR take on this?

Quote Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
    Well I had watched and enjoyed some of their shows in the past. However I just went to their facebook page and told them that they have ticked off thousands of quilters. And I don't even normally do facebook - in fact was surprised when I got there.
    THANK YOU quiltstringz~~~!! I sure hope they read it!!

If they didn't find things "wrong" with the house, then they wouldn't have the job of replacing them. That is the point of all these shows - cause you to think your home is in need of an update so you will run out and spend money replacing things that are in good shape but not the cutting edge of what they think is "in" and manufacturers want you to buy. What is wrong with oak cabinets or laminate countertops, carpet or quilts - nothing. BUT if they want to sell new cabinets and granite countertops, hard wood floors and designer bedding, they have to convince you that you NEED all new stuff.
    What really bothers me about shows like this one and "List It Or Love It" is that they are supposed to be professionals who do this all the time, yet they never allow money in the budget for "unseen" items. Give me a break! Spend every dime of my money and then tell me that the wall you insisted on taking down will cause the 2nd floor to collapse unless I put in an expensive beam? They are all so unprofessional it's not funny!

QKO
    They both need a shave... Hey, all you dips..t young guys on TV these days, either shave it off or grow a beard! Anything in between, you just look like a slob!

That's why I don't watch those stations either. There used to be some very good programs on sewing and crafts and they are all gone. BOOOOOO.
    And I don't have a problem with them showing what is available and what can be done , but I do object to them deciding what I should like. If I have to live with it, it should be what I like, not what the designers are trying to sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947 View Post
    I'd rather be wrapped in a quilt made with love than any store bought item out there. It takes all kinds. I don't watch any of those TV shows since they took off the quilt/or craft programs. My time is better spent here

Who are they, the remodeling police?? Who gave them the authority to tell us what we have in our own homes?? Don't pay any attention to them. You probably have a lot better idea of what is practical and works for you.

Blog Entries
    I frequently wish I had one of those kitchens that are always being ripped out. I can imagine what they would say if they came into my kitchen with its 1930's Estate stove which has 12-inch legs. Not many people can sweep and mop under their stoves.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Havent watched HGTV for years. Used to have good shows like remodeling for $500. The shows were aimed at everyday people.
    Now it makes me mad to see such waste. Filling the dump with perfectly good stuff.

I know - I watch those shows and think I must be only one left in America who likes carpet better than hard wood floors. My husband I laugh as they go around chirping " hardwood floors,hardwood floors!" But they wouldn't have a renovation show without changing everything, so I suppose that's why.

I've watched them before - mostly just background noise when nothing else is on. I don't really pay any attention to the "trends!" I have hardwood floors, stained/polyed trim, windows, and doors, and the wood cabinets. If I keep my (in my opinion) beautiful wood, I'll be back in style in a few years!!! As far as the quilts go.....what idiots!! They just have no respect for anything that isn't "trending." Sad!!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

I hate modern looking homes. I like traditional cabinets. I am one of the few who still like carpeting, not into the hardwood floors. I like beautiful victorian style homes with porches and charm. Everyone has different styles and I don't think these shows take that into consideration. If everyones houses looked the same it would be boring just like if everyones quilts were the same. It's the same with fashion, they put out all these trends and I find them so ugly and then its hard to find clothes you like. I absolutely hate skinny jeans and now thats what you find everywhere. what do they think we are all sheep that just follow the herd and have no opinion of our own.
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

Blog Entries
    Haven't seen the show, but I think they are pushing all new stuff to please their sponsors. If everybody ripped out their old carpet and put in new hardwood floors that just puts $$$ in the advertiserment industry's pockets.. same with all the "new" stuff they're pushing..

It takes a brave soul to not fall victim to the latest and greatest fads in decorating... I bite my tongue when friends say they're "updating" their kitchen, etc..

Blog Entries
    I think every room on HGTV looks alike. I'm sick of "that shade of blue" with brown or black. Surely someone can come up with something unique. I liked it better when then had so craft shows on also.

I hate the modern stainless steel appliances and the granite countertops in kitchens. I have not figured out the appeal to that look, it is so cold . Maybe it is a sign of the times since people seem less courious to others than the past. What I do not like mostly is that the shows make me feel I am the one in the wrong because I do not like this look. And the House Hunters, the young people always want "privacy" what are they planning to do in their yards? And do they really think their neighbors are going to sit and watch them all the time? People are not the center of the univerice as much as they think they are LOL.

I haven't watched any shows of any kind for almost 2 yrs except here and there. I have learned a lot and it helped with me doing my own repairs. But one thing I did learn is styles change and then come back. In the last oh say 5 yrs or maybe a little longer 1950's anything was/is in style with some of the younger set. And to tell you the truth I like anything older mostly because its made better. A little paint can do wonders. I see no reason to replace things if they can be worked around. Right now my bedroom is done in 1930's "style" sort of. And it could sort of be called shabby chic . ONly I am not going to paint and sand off. LOL I am lazy. Now if the kitchen is falling apart and it can be redone the right way then yep fix it. But those oak cabinets. Instead of tearing them out just paint them . The world isn't going to end if you paint wood. (like my brother thinks) . I would never let any TV show make me feel bad about what I have.

Well then they wouldn't like our place then, our home was over 20 yrs old when we bought it. The kitchen cupboards are white with tan handles (are next major project to upgrade), it's had some tacky wall paper and colors that we've since changed. I don't like the home shows that go in and gut out a house and put in all these things that most of us can't afford, I saw one of the Flip House shows on the weekend and the woman took a chain saw to a beautiful spiral staircase and put in one around $10K it was just stupid. I find there is less to watch on TV as there is more and more of this reality TV crap. More time for me to quilt I guess, and yes I'm in Canada and yes we do love our quilts here I don't know why someone would think we're all that horrible.

Blog Entries
    Besides that, they can get the cabinets at half or less of oak cabinets prices. Oak lasts much, much longer too. Mine are oak. I love them.

I have watched a couple of the HGTV shows -- including the ones by this pair. I have to say that I don't like what they do more often that I like the style. A friend of mine just had a decorator come in and she repainted the inside of her house grey. Now grey is great, but since that is the normal color of our skies and the decorator did not want even the little pops of color that would brighten it up, I sure would not hire that decorator.

My rugs and walls are beige because all of my accessories are full of color. We had to cover hardwood floors on the main floor because the bedrooms are below and it sounded like a herd of elephants walking around when some one was in the living room or kitchen and you were trying to sleep. Guess the decorating police would love to get me.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

What I hate about these shows, is the way they destroy everything. Cabinets could be refinished and used for Habitat homes. I shure Sandy victims would love a quilt.

It's just another TV show, not the be-all end-all of decorating. In real life, a good interior designer works with the home owner to design something the owner is comfortable with and loves.There is another one on HGTV, can't remember the name, that is remodeling an old farm house. She loves old things and decorated the bedroom around an old quilt that she found at a flea market (lucky her). Something for everyone on TV or the internet for that matter. Change the channel or turn it off if it is not to your liking.

They act like money is no object. Out with the old and bring in the latest and the best. Got money trees growing in their back yard I guess.

Blog Entries
    I really like that show. It has lots of good ideas. I quilt and make 6 to 8 quilts a year, but you won't find a quilt on the bed unless it is covered by a spread. It's just my style.

I watch a lot of home shows on that channel and they amaze me. People are looking for their first home but they need double sinks in the bath, completely remodeled kitchens, huge bedrooms. When we bought our first house we were glad to be be able to afford anything. Times have changed and not for the better.

In all fairness to the Property Brothers their show is not a remodel -your- home show. Their show is the one where a couple selects a dream home of their choice that they cannot afford and the property brothers help them find a fixer-upper home that they can afford plus the price of the remodeling and turn it into the home that they dreamed of. This is not one where they come fix your old home. This one is where they make the home you dream of affordable for you. According to their web site the TV show will show 4 or 5 rooms that are remodeled, but the entire home is actually remodelled for the price agreed upon, with at least $10,000 or more thrown in for the couple from the show plus lots of appliances, etc. Basically, if you can afford a mortgage for $300,000 they can help you get that $375,000 custom home for your price. You should read their web site. It seems to be a win-win for the couples on the show. And it is done to the desires of the couple, their dream, not the brothers.

Never seen it and glad I didn't

Well I like you have beige carpet and also oak cabinets. The quilt on the bed I like it and don't care if people like that do or not. I don't know if I'd want to let them decorate. I didn't see that show but I know who you mean and to make fun of what someone has even if they want to replace it doesn't mean they didn't like it. Sue

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast