Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What is YOUR take on this?

Ditto!!! Couldn't of said it better, I quilt I am Canadian and hell I even have oak cabinets, chairs and a table.

Geez Louise I hate to think what they would do to my house. Every chair back, side table, coffe table, beds, kitchen table has a quilt of one sort or another. That's what we do!!

I stopped watching hgtv when they stopped showing the quilting and craft shows. I have no interest in redecorating my house and that's all they show!

I have seen the show and after you've seen about 4 of them, you know what the next one will look like. Our house is about 50 years old. We've lived in it about 30. The kitchen has the oak cabinets that were in it when we bought it. I put wood flooring in the kitchen and added granite counter tops as the formica ones were worn out. The shine on them was gone and they were white. I could only keep them white by bleaching them weekly! I once had a house that had that "open" concept and I always had to make sure everything was picked up and clean. No dishes, glasses on the counters, papers, books, clothes, or toys strewn about. I was nothing but work. Now my small living room is generally always presentable and you can't see the rest of my house from it. I would like some upgrades here and there but at our age, it wouldn't be worth spending thousands of dollars to make the changes. I would rather put the money in a new sewing machine, or newer car, or help my children or grandchildren. We just don't need to move into the 21 century as we are happy in the 20th!! ))))))))

Years ago, we built a beautiful Victorian house - wrap around porch, long windows, and I wallpapers every room - even the closets - antique light fixtures and the entire enchilada. My husband wanted to get out of the state in which we lived---(I've regretted it ever since) and the people that bought it ripped off my $$$ wallpaper and painted the walls white, they removed my kitchen cabinets that looked they were antique (ON PURPOSE) and replaced them with....modern ones. There was wallpaper in the living room which looked just like needlepoint - GONE. We had taken so much research in every square inch of that house and now it is horrendous.....If they didn't like that style, why buy it??? I miss my home but would hate to see it today..

Quote Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
    nThe brothers (twins) have 2 shows: Property Brothers and Buying and Selling (which is new I think). I watch them both. I'm sure they (like on all tv shows) are being dramatic/provocative to improving viewing. I guess us quilters probably took that espisode a little personal!! Didn't the woman say her grandmother had made the quilt? Anyway, she was a good sport about it in the end. I just kept thinking I hope she can take it in stride and isn't getting her feelings hurt.
    . The family on this particular episode is the daughter, son-in-law and granddaughters of dear friends of ours. The family lives in Texas, and my friend made the quilt. When she first told me about the show (they were there for the filming), she laughed about the "ugly quilt" remark because this happened to be her first quilt. Her daughter treasures that quilt, so do not be concerned about it not being loved for many years to come :-). My friend's quilting journey started when I convinced her to attend a quilt retreat with me in AZ, and she was hooked! So much of these shows is about the drama....for TV. Personally, I like the show and even though I disagree often with the changes, that's just my taste vs theirs. Happy quilting :-)

I do like their show and watch it every now and then. What they do is promote what a buyers market would purchase and I believe it's age-group specific.

I too have oak cabinets and I am sick of them. Not that I want white but I would love to update them. Our house is 13-years-old and they are the builders-grade cabinets. I would do some other wood or a finer grade oak a little darker if doing it again.

They were more looking at the color/style of the quilt - they are far more contemporary and obviously gear it towards what makes rating.

I too live in Outdatedville! And thats just fine with me! My house is filled with found treasures that I cherish. I am not Mod or "with it" And that suites me just fine. You can bet anything they replaced was built cheaper than what they tore out.

Red face Hgtv

I try and not watch too much on here. I am very disappointed in them taking off the one quilt show and Carol Duval. How many house and yard remakes can they possible do? I wish they would put something more interesting on...like several quilt shows. I'd even take reruns of Simply Quilts and Carol Duval again.

hugs
    joycet

I don't think Canadians are horrible, at all. Our son's going to college there and he's really enjoyed the experience there (except for some stress at finals' time).

When we sold our 17 year old beautiful farm house in East Texas, one of the many compliments I got was for the beautiful quilts on the walls and on the beds. A couple of husbands even asked if I made them for sale (resounding NO to that.) I think that sometimes designers get too hung up on their "style" and can't see anything else. I am sad that they did not see the beauty of these quilts or cabinets. Their loss.

I have never heard of that show but those two sound like a couple of rude/crude people to me.

Those shows are designed to make you unhappy with what you have an to want to change it. It sells the advertisers products. I stopped watching them and stopped reading any decorating magazines and have been much happier.

That is how they keep their jobs. I wish that they were less critical. I do enjoy the show and the end results.

Well,I too have oak cupbards and they are staying put...my dh made them for me!! My kitchen was build for me and I love all the pullout drawers for pots and pans and cookie trays.
    I love quilts, looking at them, making them and crawling underneath them but not everyone does.
    Each person has their own likes and dislikes
    I too am from Canada
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingSister View Post
    . The family on this particular episode is the daughter, son-in-law and granddaughters of dear friends of ours. The family lives in Texas, and my friend made the quilt. When she first told me about the show (they were there for the filming), she laughed about the "ugly quilt" remark because this happened to be her first quilt. Her daughter treasures that quilt, so do not be concerned about it not being loved for many years to come :-). My friend's quilting journey started when I convinced her to attend a quilt retreat with me in AZ, and she was hooked! So much of these shows is about the drama....for TV. Personally, I like the show and even though I disagree often with the changes, that's just my taste vs theirs. Happy quilting :-)
    Really glad that you posted this! I like the show, too, but did cringe a little when the quilt was thrown to the floor....

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
    I have never heard of that show but those two sound like a couple of rude/crude people to me.
    NO one has said that these brothers or anyone on their show is lacking in good manners. There has never been anything crude said or implied on their shows nor has anyone on this thread said that there was. I'm not sure what you are reading "between the lines" but it is inaccurate. This show gives one couple per show a dream home that the couple picks out for themselves at a price that they can afford. Obviously their dream is not the dream of everyone on this board, but it is not a nightmare either. The work is done by local contractors and apparently is of very high standards. If we could all have our dream homes made available to us at a price we could afford, most of us would take the offer. Some of us are fortunate to have already acquired our dream homes in years past. Why are we against people who are acquiring theirs now and doing it by means of this TV program? What is the big deal if someone wants to discard the oak cabinets that are in a house when it is purchased and replace them with cherry or any other type cabinet? Why all the fuss over other people's personal preferences? It is not being chosen for them by the program, the brothers, the TV station. They are choosing and they are paying for it.

Power Poster
    Know what you mean but sometimes watch those just to see how they remodel. Wish I could have some of that money to remodel. What they spend in one room could do my whole house.

I will bring my oak cabinets, beige carpets, and quilts and move next door to you. Then we can throw marshmallows at the tv screen when they come on!

My house was built in 1810, with a "new addition" in 1830. We did add on a bit at the back for a new kitchen in 1999, since the old one really was gross. But I love traditional. I always say, "I was shabby before it was chic!" We have updated some rooms, but love our old stuff too. Those guys do make some broken down places look nice, but if I had seen that show I'd have been furious too. Remember that clean up show they used to have, before the disgusting Hoarders stuff? Peter Walsh once told a guy he had to throw away or sell a painting that his mother had made while she was dying from cancer. It was absolutely heartless!! Fortunately, the guy's brother took the painting, and I'll bet the minute those cameras went down the street, the homeowner got it back. What's funny is that shows where they are selling the house, people spend all kinds of money fixing it up, and cleaning out so it will sell. But the House Hunters shows go into houses with toys all over, obviously not fixed up, and they buy it anyway if it's a good house and the right price. Oh, well. It's just entertainment. Just don't come here and tell me to get rid of the quilts!
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

remember that the main point of their show is to sell a house - whether they're redoing the owners home to sell or updating a newly purchased home...everything they do is supposed to help sell it. Most of us have specific styles that we like - but they don't always put the house in a good place for selling. Can't speak to their response to the quilt - but everything they do is...keep it clean, modern and neutral. If you and I were to sell our house, a stager would encourage us to get rid of all the patterns, frou-frou and personal stuff and make it all look like the Property Brothers stuff.
    Kate

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Peg View Post
    Know what you mean but sometimes watch those just to see how they remodel. Wish I could have some of that money to remodel. What they spend in one room could do my whole house.
    There is a big difference in remodeling and redecorating. Remodeling means you move walls, add walls, make structural differences. That costs lots of money no matter where you live. It involves changing plumbing and electrical and getting approval and inspections, etc. Redecorating means new flooring, carpet, paint, cabinets, furniture, appliances, bathroom fixtures. That's cheap by comparison. The two terms aren't interchangable. That's like confusing a ceiling with a roof.

I saw that episode, and was so surprised at their reaction to the bed quilt. I know they are trying to "stage" the home so it sells quickly, but their quilt comments were not warranted. I had to laugh thinking what would be their reaction if they came to my house - quilts on the walls, on the furniture, on the beds.....
    To QUILT is human.
    To FINISH is divine.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...4369F3FA17.png

Blog Entries
    I too watched that particular show.. I am usually amazed at the way those two brothers can transform a very ugly place into something fabulous.. BUT, that show just proves that young men don't know everything, even if they think they do!! We are just one week into our new home (built after the tornado in Joplin, mo.) and we have beautiful OAK cabinets.. and the one room we carpeted, is a lovely, blending brown/gold color.. Plus I have quilts in every room one way or another.. and it's a beautiful home. What I couldn't believe was that silly woman gave the quilt her mother had made for her to those guys!! I'd skin her if she were mine, then I'd go cry. Now I'm headed to Facebook to find them and tell them what I thought of that show!
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...AC3300A534.png Life is good when you're busy with babies.

If they don't like the way I've done my house, they can stay away--as well as anyone else who comes to visit my house, instead of me! I am currently removing carpet and replacing it with laminate. I have allergies and dogs--enough said. I painted my dining room the color of the sea--because I like it. I have a red bathroom, a bright yellow bathroom, and a green bathroom--because I like them. My living room is painted "Granny Smith Apple". It's bright and happy, and I like it! I have used tin ceiling tiles to cover the sheetrock in my kitchen--I like it. I think people on those shows need to stay away from my house. LOL!

I like watching that show....but.... Those brothers had better not come to my home. It is filled with oak cupboards, recessed lighting, and polished brass light fixtures. I LOVE IT! It is a warm and comfy place where many young people come and sit on my beige carpet.
    The have to dodge the quilts on the walls and hanging on the stair rail. So far, no one has complained.

Guess "Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder."

All are welcome to my home. They can make themselves comfortable and do not have to feel that the house is sterile.

I bet if they came over and needed to spend the night, that they wouldn't mind crawling under some of those quilts on a cold winter's night.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast