Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What is YOUR take on this?

What is YOUR take on this?

If you are a watcher of HGTV, and are familiar with the twin guys (one is a contractor, and the other a realtor). did you see a recently shown episode.................... They walked into this woman's house (practically GASPED when they saw her beige carpet - saying it was SO OUTDATED)...OMG - its like MY carpet!
    Then they went into her kitchen and put their nose up at her beautiful oak cabinets (were going to replace them with slick white ones).......I have oak cabinets..........
    And last, but sure not least, when they went to her bedroom and found a lovely quilt on her bed - THEY LAUGHED and ripped it off!!!Ridiculing the quilt all the way!! I was shocked!! Then at the end of the program, neither of the guys wanted the quilt (they acted like it was the ugliest, most hideous thing they ever saw!!)
    My goodness, did I just crawl out from under a rock???Anyone else feel like that??...............This MIGHT be filmed in Canada; does that make a difference?

Blog Entries
    I usually watch this show but on this one I thought they were nuts. Those cabinets were beautiful and I wish I had some of those.
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

I hate it when the shows - or the stars- will not name the style or the period that someone has decided to replace. All periods and styles are valid; they just are not all today's newest style. Sometimes, but not often, someone will tear out an older kitchen and that program will be followed by someone who is putting in a retro style 70's kitchen. LOL! My personal dislike is that they never show anyone who likes traditional style. I guess it is because the furniture can't be purchased quickly and those shows seem to have to be done in 1-3 weeks. They only want to do what is currently the fad - so throw away your carpet and your oak cabinets, your quilt, etc. And you're left with a perfect example of 2012 interior decoration - everything purchased, nothing from the past or made by the owners.
    The ideal seems to be to look like the interior of a luxury hotel. There's nothing very personal about a hotel room however much it costs.

I have never seen the show so I don't know what decorating style those two guys gravitate too but I have friends and family who are strictly modern/ no-frill. Not a knick-knack/quilt/oak in the house. All glass, steel and black or white furniture. Not my style at all...I love antiques, oak wood and quilts. Those things have a history and that is why I love them
    I think I would have been really upset if they laughed at my quilts I have displayed....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch View Post
    If you are a watcher of HGTV, and are familiar with the twin guys (one is a contractor, and the other a realtor). did you see a recently shown episode.................... They walked into this woman's house (practically GASPED when they saw her beige carpet - saying it was SO OUTDATED)...OMG - its like MY carpet!
    Then they went into her kitchen and put their nose up at her beautiful oak cabinets (were going to replace them with slick white ones).......I have oak cabinets..........
    And last, but sure not least, when they went to her bedroom and found a lovely quilt on her bed - THEY LAUGHED and ripped it off!!!Ridiculing the quilt all the way!! I was shocked!! Then at the end of the program, neither of the guys wanted the quilt (they acted like it was the ugliest, most hideous thing they ever saw!!)
    My goodness, did I just crawl out from under a rock???Anyone else feel like that??...............This MIGHT be filmed in Canada; does that make a difference?
    The show is called Property Brothers, and yes, it is filmed in Canada, as are many other movies and TV shows. That fact does not have anything to do with the opinions expressed on the show. Many of us CANADIANS appreciate quilts and are quiltmakers.

Blog Entries
    That is what the show wants you to feel about your home and furnishings.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I'd rather be wrapped in a quilt made with love than any store bought item out there. It takes all kinds. I don't watch any of those TV shows since they took off the quilt/or craft programs. My time is better spent here

we haven't had a tv for 5 or 6 years but when HGTV first came on the air I watched it a lot.
    A lot of the gasping and exclamations are for show, just like talk show fights.
    If they went in and admired everything there would be no point to the show.

If you watch very many make overs if it's beige it should be red and if it's red it should be beige...if you remember that rule you'll not need to watch a makeover show ever again

What a rude show - I haven't seen it, thank heaven. I love oak cabinets, older style homes and above all, quilts. To each his (or her) own, but taking it to that level was obnoxious. Completely re-did our home, because the previous owners smoked for 30+ years....that doesn't come off by wiping with TSP, you have to replace. Kept the older home feel, but everything is new, clean, and above all, no nicotine.

Well I had watched and enjoyed some of their shows in the past. However I just went to their facebook page and told them that they have ticked off thousands of quilters. And I don't even normally do facebook - in fact was surprised when I got there.

Blog Entries
    I get so tickled at people going into homes and hating the cabinets and countertops which are perfectly good items. it cost money to remodel but some people thing nothing of spending money on things they don't really need.
    i'm still living in a 1958 house where i can touch my fridge with one hand and the stove with the other. definitely a one person kitchen! i hate it but can't do much about it.

I don't watch those type shows anymore. Their opinions are totally different from mine. I prefer the old HGTv to what is shown now.

If you are a watcher of HGTV, and are familiar with the twin guys (one is a contractor, and the other a realtor). ..................My goodness, did I just crawl out from under a rock???Anyone else feel like that??...............This MIGHT be filmed in Canada; does that make a difference?
    And your point is????

Keep in mind that there are quilters here on the QB that have shared how family members have absolutely no interest in their quilts. So why should this be any difference? Likewise, not everyone is in love with oak cabinets .... I have them, but no, they would not be my choice if I was getting new ones). And likewise, carpet ... we all have different tastes.

Just as we all have different tastes in our quilting designs, fabrics, colours, techniques, etc.

BTW I believe the show concept is that they transform fixer uppers to meet the dream lists of specific owners. So in essence, they are doing what the client wants! Also, the clients pay all the costs in getting the job done.

And yes, another Canadian here!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by QuiltE; 01-03-2013 at 09:15 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Power Poster
    "A fool and their money are soon parted." I am frugal and save my money for more quilting stuff not redecorating. My husband asked me a few years ago if I wanted a total kitchen redo and I sad, nope. I live in a 1950 house with a 1950 kitchen and it suits me just fine. A new coat of paint and I am a happy camper. There is great joy in being content with what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
    Well I had watched and enjoyed some of their shows in the past. However I just went to their facebook page and told them that they have ticked off thousands of quilters. And I don't even normally do facebook - in fact was surprised when I got there.
    Good for you - They should know how the viewers are feeling.

Blog Entries
    I saw that show and was also a little upset That quilt was pretty nice, and cozy looking

I know who they are but I don't watch their show. I say decorate with what you love and it will work. I don't care what the "rules" are at the moment. I don't let "them" dictate what I should buy etc.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    "A fool and their money are soon parted." I am frugal and save my money for more quilting stuff not redecorating. My husband asked me a few years ago if I wanted a total kitchen redo and I sad, nope. I live in a 1950 house with a 1950 kitchen and it suits me just fine. A new coat of paint and I am a happy camper. There is great joy in being content with what you have.

I agree! My house was built in 1966. I have painted everything and replaced worn-out countertops (I just bought new formica to replace the old), also replaced broken and worn-out plumbing pipes & fixtures. As things wear-out I fix them or replace with something apropriate to the house. Not looking to be the latest style, just fixed.
    Mary

I don't watch HGTV but my daughter does. What my daughter has learned out of the show is how things are "supposed" to look. She moved into an approximately 22 year old house. Yes, the appliances are old. Yes, the paint in the kitchen is a bright yellow. But, considering she's going through a divorce with two little kids, she's pretty lucky to be living where she does.

I don't like shows like that, or segments on morning talk shows that tell us how we're supposed to look.

I saw this show too and this episode upset me. I have oak cabinets too and they were custom built 5 years ago. If anyone were to tell me they were outdated, I would have a hissy fit! I love a quilt on the bed, too. It gives a warm, homey feel to a room. Some of their shows ae OK but sometimes, I think that if a person wuld just pick stuff up and put it away, the house would look so much better to start with. I like to watch the show...I just don't agree with some of the things they do. I would never turn my house over tosomeone else for a make over, I would have to be very hands on....after all, I would be the one to live with the changes.

Blog Entries
    i love their show. but i always keep in mind with any tv 'reality' show.... it's not really REAL. none of the reality shows would survive without controversy these days. even my favorite Mike Holmes [another Canadian] injects controversy to make the show more dramatic. i prefer Canadian and British TV to American TV most of the time.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

The brothers (twins) have 2 shows: Property Brothers and Buying and Selling (which is new I think). I watch them both. I'm sure they (like on all tv shows) are being dramatic/provocative to improving viewing. I guess us quilters probably took that espisode a little personal!! Didn't the woman say her grandmother had made the quilt? Anyway, she was a good sport about it in the end. I just kept thinking I hope she can take it in stride and isn't getting her feelings hurt.

I watched it one day, they were continuously talking about how ugly and outdated a kitchen was. I looked at my kitchen, which was very similar in style and age, and felt hurt because they were making fun of "my" kitchen. Haven't watched the show since.
    ...the importance of one's life lies not in money or celebrity, but in doing the right thing, even in silence or secrecy, and without reward... Fergus M. Bordewich

Even in magazines there is the before and after. Some of the most beautiful rooms are torn apart and replaced with some hideous cheap looking stuff. I have reread the captions under the photos thinking someone made a mistake.

Well, I guess they don't need to come to our house. This last fall we were beside our selves to finally get rid of our OLD, could keep clean white cabinets and put in BEAUTIFUL oak ones. Last year we had all the carpet taken out and replaced with laminate, do to allergies and 4 fur-babies. And if some one came in our house and attempted to remove any quilts out of our home, well lets just say, they wouldn't be here long!...
    What do they know anyway, our home may not look like a page out of a magazine, but it's our, it's paid for, and decorated they way we like it. We don't care if others like our decorating, it's mostly family history or our creations.
    I doubt they even know the time and cost of a beautiful quilt. Silly city boys!... No offense to any of you who are city folks!...
    Penny
    Country 1

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast