Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When was the last time ..... >

When was the last time .....

When was the last time .....

Old 09-10-2010, 07:32 PM

Just cleaned it about a month ago, but right after that food spilled on it....smoke everywhere. i read to pour salt on food to avoid burning ..it worked. now i need to clean oven again. i use a straight blade and most comes off. hate this chore.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Power Poster

DO NOT USE OVEN CLEANER IS YOU HAVE ANY PET BIRDS --- IT WILL KILL IT/THEM. ALSO DON'T USE A SELF CLEANING OVEN -- IT PUTS OFF A FUME THAT WILL KILL THEM.
HOPE I'M NOT TOO LATE READING THIS, HOPEFULLY ANYONE THAT HAS A BIRD ALREADY KNOWS THIS.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
You cleaned your oven? Early this morning I started cleaning my oven (hadnt been done in a year). Thought I'd share a little tip I learned a few years ago while working for a cleaning co. Cheap Dollar store oven cleaner. Remove racks, put them in a trash bag and spray them down, close bag by just folding it under, take them outside and lay them in the sun. The heat activates the cleaner. Hose them down after a couiple of hours. (Time for some quilting while waiting). Spray down inside the oven turn on 200 just long enough to get it warm in there then shut it off. Let set for an hour or two while quilting. the gunk just slides off. No scrubbing! Works on old cookie sheets and pizza pans too! Shoved them in a bag set them outside and couple hours later looks like new.
I hope I caught this before you did it! You are supposed to heat the oven to 200, THEN spray it! Heating the cleaner can release toxic fumes in a form that can BLOCK your lungs, and that is never good. It could have the same effect as the "Huffing" that is KILLING kids. Be careful, you are important to us. Whew!
Old 09-11-2010, 02:29 AM

Definately need to clean the oven, but now I am obsessed about finding a self cleaning fridge, LOL!
Old 09-11-2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
DO NOT USE OVEN CLEANER IS YOU HAVE ANY PET BIRDS --- IT WILL KILL IT/THEM. ALSO DON'T USE A SELF CLEANING OVEN -- IT PUTS OFF A FUME THAT WILL KILL THEM.
HOPE I'M NOT TOO LATE READING THIS, HOPEFULLY ANYONE THAT HAS A BIRD ALREADY KNOWS THIS.
Thank's for reminding me about this. Looks like my oven will have to be cleaned the old fashioned way, lots of elbow grease :thumbdown:

Maybe I should go and buy a nice clean new one, after all mine is pretty old now :thumbup:

But that means less money for quilting :thumbdown:
Old 09-12-2010, 06:00 AM

great tips, thank you.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Dee

Mine is in great need. Will do this week.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Banned

mine is self cleaning. God bless.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:37 AM

you it would be REAL good if someone could put "elbow grease" in a can and on the market! I'd buy it by the barrel, I'm always running out! :shock:
Old 09-20-2010, 06:44 AM
MNM

Originally Posted by grammyp
Self cleaning oven here, and love it. Sure could use a self cleaning fridge though. Just looked in the "way" back of mine. Not pretty.
Just call it a science project and let it be. When you have time then clean it out. In the mean time just stick to your story.
MNM