Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50

Thread: When was the last time .....

  1. #1
    Super Member leatheflea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    martinsville Indiana
    Posts
    4,476
    You cleaned your oven? Early this morning I started cleaning my oven (hadnt been done in a year). Thought I'd share a little tip I learned a few years ago while working for a cleaning co. Cheap Dollar store oven cleaner. Remove racks, put them in a trash bag and spray them down, close bag by just folding it under, take them outside and lay them in the sun. The heat activates the cleaner. Hose them down after a couiple of hours. (Time for some quilting while waiting). Spray down inside the oven turn on 200 just long enough to get it warm in there then shut it off. Let set for an hour or two while quilting. the gunk just slides off. No scrubbing! Works on old cookie sheets and pizza pans too! Shoved them in a bag set them outside and couple hours later looks like new.

  2. #2
    Super Member donnajean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Holland, PA
    Posts
    4,321
    good tip, but you should not use cleaner inside oven if you have a Self-cleaning oven


    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    You cleaned your oven? Early this morning I started cleaning my oven (hadnt been done in a year). Thought I'd share a little tip I learned a few years ago while working for a cleaning co. Cheap Dollar store oven cleaner. Remove racks, put them in a trash bag and spray them down, close bag by just folding it under, take them outside and lay them in the sun. The heat activates the cleaner. Hose them down after a couiple of hours. (Time for some quilting while waiting). Spray down inside the oven turn on 200 just long enough to get it warm in there then shut it off. Let set for an hour or two while quilting. the gunk just slides off. No scrubbing! Works on old cookie sheets and pizza pans too! Shoved them in a bag set them outside and couple hours later looks like new.

  3. #3
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,306
    Blog Entries
    1
    thanks for the tips :) i have to do this...some time ago i had a pie overflow...forgot about it, last week went to use the oven and set off all the smoke alarms in the house...it was horrible! they are LOUD!!! and when you have 9 of them going off....well...it was quite tramatic. we started pulling batteries...they kept going off...had to flip the breaker too...
    last night hubby wanted me to bake some chicken...and i said. "really? really? you want to start pulling batteries now or wait till they demand it?" he opted for a different choice; and asked...so what are we going to do about the oven? my response of course..."clean it i guess" weekend chore :)

  4. #4
    Senior Member sew_southern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Posts
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    good tip, but you should not use cleaner inside oven if you have a Self-cleaning oven
    My instruction book also said not to use cleaners inside. I just use a hot rag to wipe down the ash inside & on racks, after oven has cooled.

    And I just cleaned/wiped it out 2 days ago, when the weather had cooled and I could open the kitchen window to let the smoke out. Yeah, I don't do it often enough, sometimes I even get a small fire going in there while it's cleaning! :)

  5. #5
    Junior Member oldhag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northwestern Ontario
    Posts
    236
    I used to clean my oven only when the bottom threatened to catch fire. When I was shopping for a new stove I told my Dh that if he wasn't willing to clean the oven then he had no say in wether it was self cleaning or not. He cleaned the oven once and never batted an eye after that on the extra price for that feature. Ditto for the fridge.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Quiltzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas (Transplanted from Ohio 2006)
    Posts
    769
    I cleaned my oven last week. I sure wish I knew your 'trash bag' trick then. The racks came out okay but not great. I used the 'good stuff' i.e., Easy Off, and the cold-oven /overnight method. The whole 'hose them off' thing has real appeal. I dragged my racks to the sink.

    Thanks for the really good tip! You're a peach for sharing it.

    Do people still say "you're a peach" or am I just so old that I've start saying things that don't make sense to people?

  7. #7
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,028
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhag
    I used to clean my oven only when the bottom threatened to catch fire. When I was shopping for a new stove I told my Dh that if he wasn't willing to clean the oven then he had no say in wether it was self cleaning or not. He cleaned the oven once and never batted an eye after that on the extra price for that feature. Ditto for the fridge.
    You have a self-cleaning fridge??? Where can I get one?

  8. #8
    Super Member amandasgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    La Pine Oregon, USA
    Posts
    5,911
    LOL - self-cleaning fridge....I want one, too!

    If you don't have a self-cleaning oven, lay an old dish cloth (terry) in the oven on the very bottom. Pour about 1/4-1/2 cup ammonia on the towel, put drip pans (from under the burner) in, shut the door and go to bed. The next morning, wipe it clean! Racks, drip pans AND oven will come clean. If you've burned on food for a year, it may take a few tries to get it all.

  9. #9
    Super Member Lynnejean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltzilla
    I cleaned my oven last week. I sure wish I knew your 'trash bag' trick then. The racks came out okay but not great. I used the 'good stuff' i.e., Easy Off, and the cold-oven /overnight method. The whole 'hose them off' thing has real appeal. I dragged my racks to the sink.

    Thanks for the really good tip! You're a peach for sharing it.

    Do people still say "you're a peach" or am I just so old that I've start saying things that don't make sense to people?
    I think she is a peach for sharing too! I understood you! :-)

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    314
    You're supposed to clean ovens? (LOL)

  11. #11
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    I love that expression!
    Remember Jimmy Stewart used it in It's a Wonderful Life??
    Always reminds me of him. I loved that man!!!!
    She's a Peach!!
    You're a Peach! lol

  12. #12
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,282
    You're supposed to clean those things???!?!?!?!?!

  13. #13
    Super Member scowlkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,528
    Blog Entries
    11
    What's an oven? Is it in the kitchen place? I don't go there since I started quilting!

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern , Virginia
    Posts
    1,536
    You may do mine and we will quilt whil it's working !!

  15. #15
    Super Member grammyp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    2,488
    Self cleaning oven here, and love it. Sure could use a self cleaning fridge though. Just looked in the "way" back of mine. Not pretty.

  16. #16
    Moderator kathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the Texas Coast
    Posts
    4,050
    well now I feel silly, I've cleaned my self cleaner with easy off when it was too hot to turn it on :oops: I guess I didn't mess it up, it looks okay and still works.

  17. #17
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,393
    Sorry. I can't help with this question. I haven't owned an oven for 3 years now.

  18. #18
    Super Member sewmuchmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,997
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    You cleaned your oven? Early this morning I started cleaning my oven (hadnt been done in a year). Thought I'd share a little tip I learned a few years ago while working for a cleaning co. Cheap Dollar store oven cleaner. Remove racks, put them in a trash bag and spray them down, close bag by just folding it under, take them outside and lay them in the sun. The heat activates the cleaner. Hose them down after a couiple of hours. (Time for some quilting while waiting). Spray down inside the oven turn on 200 just long enough to get it warm in there then shut it off. Let set for an hour or two while quilting. the gunk just slides off. No scrubbing! Works on old cookie sheets and pizza pans too! Shoved them in a bag set them outside and couple hours later looks like new.

    I will have to tell hubby about this, He cleans my oven. I am not suppose to inhale any kind of fumes. Because of the type of cancer I had.
    :thumbup:

  19. #19
    Super Member Tink's Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    chicago, IL
    Posts
    9,692
    I put my racks in a big trash bag put in the ammonia and let stand in the tub overnight...in the morning open bag, with face averted( don't want to inhale the fumes...and turn on the shower to rinse.
    The rest of the oven looks awful...but the racks are beautiful...

  20. #20
    Super Member luvTooQuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Posts
    7,115
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    I put my racks in a big trash bag put in the ammonia and let stand in the tub overnight...in the morning open bag, with face averted( don't want to inhale the fumes...and turn on the shower to rinse.
    The rest of the oven looks awful...but the racks are beautiful...
    LOL..... Im afraid to look in my oven.. :oops:

  21. #21
    Senior Member Rachel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    918
    This tip works great for grill grates too!

  22. #22
    Super Member SuziC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    3,711
    OH NO Not the oven! I haven't done that in a LONG time.
    I guess i need to put that on the "to do" list :lol:

  23. #23
    Super Member mtkoldra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,121
    I make a baking soda paste, let it sit overnight, then wipe it off.
    Most baked on stuff comes off easily this way.
    afraid to use any chemicals in the oven, but it is my thing

  24. #24
    Super Member zyxquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    So. California
    Posts
    3,776
    Thanks for the tip - not that I use my oven much, but you never know!
    I do use the microwave & have found that the easiest way to clean it is this - get out my biggest measuring cup, fill it about 3/4 full with water. Then cut up a lemon - into 4 pieces works fine - & put it in the water. Stick it into the microwave & set it for 5-7 minutes, so it gets good & steamy inside. I let it sit in there until it all cools off, then just wipe it out! Nice & shiny & smells good too!

  25. #25
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    10,707
    Blog Entries
    36
    I clean mine out once a week as I do not like cleaning when I have to scrub so hard. ANd I don't trust cleaners with my Propane stone. Thanks for sharing the tips though everyone. I love the ones who don't know where the kitchen is or if there is a stove. That will be me when and if I am ever alone again.LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.