Where id my hummers go?!

Old 06-20-2013, 09:18 PM

Try calling your local county extension agent. I bet they know what is going on in your neck of the woods.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:30 AM

We have fewer hummers than in previous years. They are still hitting the feeders, but also are hot & heavy on the flowers blooming. We are wondering also why there are fewer hummers this year.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
I had to take mine down as bee's were swarming around it so bad even with the bee guards. I still see them around my flowers but not as much as I am used to.
I have had about the same number of hummers this year as before, we have 8 feeders out. This week have had a problem with bees. Had the same problem last year, may I ask where you found your bee guards? I would like to feed both the bees and the hummers, as I know we really need bees to help with pollination, but I prefer my hummers. I know I have to watch for ants as well, DH has put some water in the top section near the hanger of our feeders that have the little space, this keeps the ants away, but not the bees. I make my own feed. boil my tap water, then use 4 cups of water to 1 cup of sugar. When it is cool I put it in a special container in frig. I always use warm soapy water to clean my feeders each time I refil them. We have feeders in the front yard and the back yard.
Had a new metal roof put on week before last and had to move the feeders from usual place, but they soon found the new place. They weren't too happy with the noise from the roofing, but really fed each evening. Had some bad thunder storms this week, and they fed a lot just before the storm hit, and as soon as they were over. Hope your babies come back, so fun to watch.
I love the pic. of the babies and the fan, how cool to have your own little hummer nursery. I understand they often come back each year to nest in or near the same place. You may have annual boarders to watch. What fun!

Last edited by Gerbie; 06-21-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:49 AM

Funny that you should post this as I have been having the same experience. I live outside of Philadelphia. Last year I had loads of hummers. This year, not too many. I just changed the feeder yesterday and I haven't seen one since.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:16 AM

They are probably sitting on eggs right now. I know mine are not around this time of year. When the little ones fly they will be back
Old 06-21-2013, 11:20 PM

Last year my hummingbirds suddenly disappeared in the middle of the summer. I looked it up on the internet and found that they don't feed much when nesting. Maybe, since they aren't in the garden either, yours are now nesting. they should be back before the end of summer.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:44 AM

Yay! They're slowly returning!! I've seen a few around again! Don't think I've ever seen a baby at the feeders - or anywhere for that matter! Probably too small to see! Maybe thought they were bees! LOL Just happy to see them And the baby House Swallows trying their wings. One even chased a hummer just now!
Enjoy your day everyone!
Old 06-22-2013, 08:21 AM

I usually keep 5 feeders out. Last summer I was feeding a gallon of sugar water a day with hundreds of hummers. This summer we had about 40 hummers earlier, but are now down to about 15. They seem to be most active early in the morning and just before sunset. I do rotate the feeders so each one is cleaned and fresh sugar water put in every other day. I look forward to August when they will be coming back south, stopping over to refuel at our feeders before heading further south.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:29 PM

I used to have a lot of hummers too and then neighbors moved in with lots of cats. No more hummers. Darn. I sure love to watch them. I haven't had many orioles this year but then I caught a cat killing one on my front porch so I think that deters them.
Lynda

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Suddenly 3 days ago hummingbirds stopped coming to my feeders!! They have been very busy this year, even through the winter when I even had to unfreeze the nectar.

Would think that migration was earlier than this from SW Washington if they were going somewhere. They are usually visiting all day long till after dark!

Any ideas, bird lovers? I miss them!
Old 06-26-2013, 01:33 PM

I wish I knew a way to keep the bees away but I made my own ant stoppers. I used paint can lids and attached a wood peg to the center inside the cap and sealed so water wouldn't leak out and put a cup hook in the top of the peg and one coming out the bottom of the cap. I then hang the cap and fill with water and hang the feeders on the hook in the bottom. I had to seal it well though.
Lynda

Originally Posted by Gerbie View Post
I have had about the same number of hummers this year as before, we have 8 feeders out. This week have had a problem with bees. Had the same problem last year, may I ask where you found your bee guards? I would like to feed both the bees and the hummers, as I know we really need bees to help with pollination, but I prefer my hummers. I know I have to watch for ants as well, DH has put some water in the top section near the hanger of our feeders that have the little space, this keeps the ants away, but not the bees. I make my own feed. boil my tap water, then use 4 cups of water to 1 cup of sugar. When it is cool I put it in a special container in frig. I always use warm soapy water to clean my feeders each time I refil them. We have feeders in the front yard and the back yard.
Had a new metal roof put on week before last and had to move the feeders from usual place, but they soon found the new place. They weren't too happy with the noise from the roofing, but really fed each evening. Had some bad thunder storms this week, and they fed a lot just before the storm hit, and as soon as they were over. Hope your babies come back, so fun to watch.
I love the pic. of the babies and the fan, how cool to have your own little hummer nursery. I understand they often come back each year to nest in or near the same place. You may have annual boarders to watch. What fun!