Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who does sewing other than quilting? >

Who does sewing other than quilting?

Who does sewing other than quilting?

Old 10-28-2011, 06:47 AM

Gosh I started when I was 10 sewing dolls clothes by hand and embroidery then moved to making my own clothes, I made clothes for my mom and for every outfit i made her a got the fabric to sew an outfit for me. I sewed all my kids clothes, my curtains, bed coverings etc. I quilted various items too... baby quilts appliqued my kids clothes. I LOVE quilting and focus primarily on that but I alwayss get request from other people to make something for them!
Old 10-28-2011, 06:48 AM

Yes I make pillowcases and curtains. Sometimes I will make an apron. I really had to work on the pillow cases as after thirty two years of marriage mine were worn out.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:52 AM

Having taken six years of sewing classes in public schools, I graduated with a fully tailored suit that was made in my last sewing semester. I then made clothes for years before I became hooked on quilting. I made my DDIL's wedding dress, a number of bridesmaid dresses, and as the GD's grew up, I found myself making prom dresses.

Although most of my sewing time now is spent on quilts, I still use my tailoring skills and right now I am altering, hemming and adding embellishments to my GGD's wedding dress.

I envy those of you who have a rich quilting background handed down from the women in your family. Quilting I learned from scratch although my sewing skills helped me tremendously in taking up this art form.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:03 AM

Yes, I started making my own clothes and home decor items. Now do quilting as well
Old 10-28-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i'd been sewing everything but quilts for 40+ years---i fought off the quilting bug as long as i possibly could--
but finally that bug caught me---and boy oh boy! it is quite the bug!!! incurable- no antibiotics help- totally consuming my life. :)
Too funny LOL, especially the incurable part.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:20 AM

I started sewing when I was about 8 making clothes for my dolls. Then moved on to making my own clothes and then my childrens clothes. Grandsons in their teens are not thrilled with home made and I have no grandauthers so I have moved on to sewing for a charity called Little Dresses For Africa. I have so much fun sewing these dresses even after over 300 I am still hooked. They send them all over the world not just Africa. Sewing for me is the best stress reliever ever.
www.littledressesforafrica.org if you are interested. they are on facebook too.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:20 AM

I just finished an Heirloom Christening gown for my granddaughter. I used to make the prom dresses for my daughters and even made a wedding gown for one of them, along with nine bridesmaid dresses for two different weddings. I have to fit the quilting in between other projects.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:25 AM

The first thing I ever sewed was a fabric sample "quilt" for my Barbie doll. I was about 5. Then when I was 10 my mom and granny let me use the treadle machine to sew my first dress. I made my own clothes for years until I was in high school. I made a quilt top. Shortly after high school I had my daughter and made many of her clothes (party dresses mostly) and some quilts...not very good quality. Now quilting this summer has gotten me back into making clothing. I guess for me they go together.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:27 AM

Wondering how things worked moved to cleaning and oiling my Grandmother's treadle, to sewing, to flat pattern design, to costuming, and a real need to talk to people who seriously sew. And here I am - home..
Old 10-28-2011, 07:33 AM

Used to make all my clothes, then my daughter's until I had to go to work full time, which happened to be the time she no longer wanted my lovely dresses! Even made jeans (I was crazy).

Didn't sew for many years until my now grown daughter asked why I wasn't quilting yet...

Now I design make door hangings for my outside door (one for all the holidays and seasons and special things), and make and design clothes for Am girl dolls. Oh and I make quilts!