women friends

Old 02-11-2011, 07:47 PM

My best friends (2) are male and I wouldn't trade them for the world. Actaully, I would trade one of them for the world as he was killed in a medivac helicopter crash 2 years ago. But I have always gotten along better with men. Maybe because I grew up in a military family, not to mention that my main career was male oriented (state Police). But I do have one good female friend who now lives a little over an hour from me. We may not see a lot of each other but when we do, we make the most of it. She is always there for me. And my husband knows when she calls me, he won't get the phone for at least two hours. LOL
Old 02-12-2011, 04:49 AM

I've always been one of those with few friends but all are very good friends...mostly men. My best friend in the world is a guy I met in 11th grade 33 years ago. I work in a female dominated world---I teach---and having male friends seems to somehow balance that out. I'm a lesbian and have a partner of 10 years but her brain is much more "guy" than "girl".... like me, she thinks malls are nightmares and hates to shop, hates to chitchat so we're a good pair!
Old 02-12-2011, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Barbm
I'm the same way- I have friends, but when I need to shop, off I go. You're not weird (unless i am too)

I too prefer to shop alone. However, I do enjoy an occasional roadtrip with my quilting friends.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:26 AM

Worst of all is going shopping with my sister, Roseanne! I stopped going with her many, many years ago. I usually know what I want before I go to a store and I'm in and out. So many times a sales clerk asked me if I was comparison shopper as a job. That is with regular stores. Now with fabric and antiques it is a different story.
Okay, now I have read the whole post. I see it is about friends. I have some from grade school and some from each phase of my life. That means that some of us are friends for more than 60 years. No phone stuff.short visits when the kids were little, lunches now. It may be only once a year but we take up where we left off. However, I live alone and sometimes it is a week before I talk to anyone. I never have enough time as it is.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:48 AM

I've been the loner type all my life. Never had a really "close, do everything with" kind of friend. I do have friends and they are like me: prefer shopping alone, don't like chatting on the phone endlessly, but like to get together occasionally. I don't have friends who quilt but my daughters do and the 3 of us like to do the annual shop hop together or go to the LQS. One daughter is like me and the other is very social, always on her cell and visiting with friends. Each to her own.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:51 AM

I hate shopping with anyone unless we are interested in the same department. Otherwise, I spend more time trying to keep up with where they are, so they won't have to search for me when they're ready to leave, then I do actually shopping.

I was always a tomboy til I was about 16. Didn't have anything in common with the girls til I got 'interested' in boys, after that I hung around with a few girlfriends.

I have always envied outgoing people who are just so naturally friendly and likable and can always say whatever pops into their heads and make it sound interesting. My hubby is like that, when we meet anyone new, he can always think of something to say to them and I don't have to say a word, I love it!

I have to really work at being friendly, except online, I'm not at all shy here.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:34 AM

I am praetty much alone where I live now except for my sister and we do not hang out much because she is busier with her friends now. I am however blessed with 3 wonderful friends that I could shop with, eat with, read with, sew with, or just sit and do nothing with and feel confortable doing any of that with any of them. One I have known for 43 years, one for 19 years and the other for 16 years. We are all scatter now but still visit on occassion and talk on the phone. I miss being with them.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:21 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm not a really outgoing person. My DH is the one that never meets a stranger. I've had girlfriends over the years that I ran around with but since we moved to NC I really haven't made a lot of friends and none I can do anything with. I've learned over the years that I can do things by myself. It's not always fun buy I can do it. I've always gotten along better with men too.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:06 AM

I am like most of you here responding. I have a lot of women that I know from church and the quilting group that meets once a month, but as far as paling around with them I usually don't. My very best friend is my sister who lives just a little over a mile from me. We are joined at the hip and totaly enjoy the same things. We laugh a lot, even at our age we are kind of silly. We both have husbands, her's is a very, very quiet man and mine is more outgoing. We really don't have the same interest except for playing cards with a couple once a week. Oh.....Forgot to say my DH is seventeen years older than I am. I am now noticing the age difference, me 66, him 84. Love him to death...We will have our 39th anniversary this April.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:22 AM

oh my gosh! me too! I had 3 younger brothers, and when I married only had 2 BILs. I dont talk about anything baby related, fashion related, gossip (TV, stars, reality shows etc)related, dont read romace anything. Hate hate hate a phone, we finally took the landline out of the house and just use the cells - which only PHONE! they dont take pics, do apps, jump thru flaming hoops etc. NO TEXTING! NO TWEETS! NO FACEBK! (I HATE mini talk: "well, just got up and brushed my teeth" kind of stuff)
I do actually talk to women (I dont mind fabric shopping w/ the girls cus I learn new things when out that way - hubs only contribution to a fabric trip is: "are u done yet?"), but men are preferable - my husbands (chem engineer)work bumps him into lots of physicists, I like the topic of space, stars, chemistry - anything that I dont understand or know is very interesting to me. I'm the person you want to show your vacation pics to because I can spend hrs w/ u looking thru them and actually enjoy listening to you tell me alllll about everything you did and saw! LOL