Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
You Know It's Fall In New York... >

You Know It's Fall In New York...

You Know It's Fall In New York...

Old 09-27-2011, 01:01 AM

Just need a little vanilla ice cream....so good!
Old 09-27-2011, 02:53 AM

If you're not too far.... I'll be right over!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:52 AM

Just have to buy the vanilla wafers and I am set.
Isn't it great to connect our favorites with fond memories of Mom.

Got the recipe on the desktop, haing this and pork chops for dinner tonight.
Originally Posted by Ps 150
Originally Posted by madamekelly
...when the apples hit the oven! I'm stuck home from church with a headache so I decided to slam some pills and get to baking. I made some Caramel Apple Crisp and some Apple Crisp and seasoned my cast iron apple dumpling pan so that's next on the agenda! Yum!
You put oatmeal in your apple crisp? I have never had it that way. We have always used rolled wheat. (It is sold under the Krusteaz brand as "Zoom" hot cereal. Try it, you will love it.
I've never heard of "Zoom" before. I'll have to look for it. We have a very few "Krusteaz" products in our stores out here but I have seen them. My grandmother always made her Apple Crisps with oatmeal, so I always have. There's something about biting into an apple crisp that still takes me back to being a kid at her house in the fall. It was one of her favorite desserts to make so it always makes me think of her.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy1

...when the apples hit the oven! I'm stuck home from church with a headache so I decided to slam some pills and get to baking. I made some Caramel Apple Crisp and some Apple Crisp and seasoned my cast iron apple dumpling pan so that's next on the agenda! Yum!
You put oatmeal in your apple crisp? I have never had it that way. We have always used rolled wheat. (It is sold under the Krusteaz brand as "Zoom" hot cereal. Try it, you will love it.
I've never heard of "Zoom" before. I'll have to look for it. We have a very few "Krusteaz" products in our stores out here but I have seen them. My grandmother always made her Apple Crisps with oatmeal, so I always have. There's something about biting into an apple crisp that still takes me back to being a kid at her house in the fall. It was one of her favorite desserts to make so it always makes me think of her.
Oh, THANK YOU! Thanks for validating the pork chops and apples connection. I always eat pork chops with applesauce and when I met DH and his family, they all thought I was insane. My grandfather always ate it that way, as did his children and grandchildren and since he lived through the Great Depression, my in-laws always attributed his tastes to "living simply". But, I just love to dip my baked pork chops in applesauce and I even make a pork roast in sage and apples...so delicious!
Old 09-27-2011, 07:14 AM

Yes it is that tradition you grow up with. Which reminds me I need to invite my sis over for all of this. Thanks for the comment.

Oh, THANK YOU! Thanks for validating the pork chops and apples connection. I always eat pork chops with applesauce and when I met DH and his family, they all thought I was insane. My grandfather always ate it that way, as did his children and grandchildren and since he lived through the Great Depression, my in-laws always attributed his tastes to "living simply". But, I just love to dip my baked pork chops in applesauce and I even make a pork roast in sage and apples...so delicious!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:41 AM

hope touy headache is better, so you can share those recipes!!!they look delicious
Old 09-27-2011, 08:15 PM

Any leftovers ? I get that great smell all the way into PA !
Old 09-27-2011, 09:01 PM

I had my pork chops with applesauce tonight. But the hit was the delish apple crisp. Husband and sister loved it. Must let you know the ingredients say 1 cup of water, but the directions don't mention it. I baked it, thought it looked a bit dry, so added the water and baked about 6 more minutes turned out great. We had caramel sauce and added a touch on it too. YUM your recipe was great as they say - it is a do over. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:07 AM

I had my pork chops with applesauce tonight. But the hit was the delish apple crisp. Husband and sister loved it. Must let you know the ingredients say 1 cup of water, but the directions don't mention it. I baked it, thought it looked a bit dry, so added the water and baked about 6 more minutes turned out great. We had caramel sauce and added a touch on it too. YUM your recipe was great as they say - it is a do over. Thanks for sharing.
I just checked the recipe on page 4 of this thread and it's a short sentence but it's in there. Before adding the crumbles on top, you add the water. Then the crumbles. And then bake. So glad your family loved it. It's a favorite around here! :D
Old 09-28-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Joan Gaddis
hope touy headache is better, so you can share those recipes!!!they look delicious
The recipe is on page 4 of this thread. Headache is better, PTL, so I'm back to quilting and hoping to make the dumplings tonight! :-)